Dating with no money?

Options
Well. Been living on my own for around a year now and been using dating apps a fair bit recently.
I was just thinking if it happens we can always go for a walk along the beach or a dog walk somewhere. Maybe even waste a few 2ps in the arcades.

Now I've got the the point of asking a girl out and she just instantly replied with "Where would we go" to which I suggested the beach like above. She then said it would be nice to go for food... blah blah.

Anyways... I can't even afford to pay for me to go out for dinner at the moment. Never mind pay for someone else.

Has anyone else been in this situation? How do we date without money!?

Should I just wait until my finances are in a better position? Should I tell them I'm skint? (Doesn't sound like a good plan to me)

P.S I know this is probably in the wrong place but nowhere seemed to fit...
Mortgage: £60,744.22 Student Loans:£16,726.59
Joining Debt (08/04/2018) : £90,283.01 Current Debt: £77,470.81

Goal: Debt free by 2033

Comments

• lookstraightahead
    Options
    How about a coffee? Choose a time that isn!!!8217;t around a meal time.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tell her you're skint and all you can manage is a picnic.... is she's still interested you can move forward on that.

You'll lose some by being open/honest, but you'll gain some too - and you'll not waste any money trying to impress one by scraping together money for food one night when they dump you for not being able to afford it every week....

Honesty means you attract/keep the right sort of people - and dissuade/alienate the wrong type.

Trying to dodge it and gloss over it, with things like coffee, is only putting off the inevitable ... and wasting your time and money along the way.
  • buythedip
    buythedip Posts: 104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Big walk with the dog and picnic sounds pretty decent to me. Could you borrow body boards and wetsuits from a mate assuming you are on the coast? How about bike hire followed by chips? Being active should make any lulls in conversation easier!
  • LexieLou
    LexieLou Posts: 714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You know what, I'm skint too and a coffee is perfect. I dated a guy last year who was as skint as me, lost his job due to his money issues. He never knew how much debt I am in. We had nights in, made dinner, nothing fancy, home made chicken pie and chips, some nights a movie on the tele, walks, we have dogs so they got walked frequently.
    Internet dating is this...you meet for half hour tops the first time. If they want to go for a meal the first time, chances are they are money greedy and you don't need that. EG if you met someone in a bar and chatted, would you say to them within 5 mins of meeting them 'lets do dinner?'. No, you would ask them for a drink or coffee.

Don't let your debt hold you back from living. When you meet the right person, they don't care about your past, or your present, they will want to help you make your present and future the best it can be.
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • HustleGang
    HustleGang Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is something I've struggled with recently. I'm only a few months away from becoming debt free but bot having anything spare has been holding me back.

I think the above post about eliminating time wasters is a good one, if someone is genuinely interested in you being in dent shouldn't matter
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just be honest. As a girl (or woman, as I say) I can tell you that there's nothing worse than men who lie, either outright or by omission. I don't understand why you feel you have to pay for her, either. I'd be quite offended by that, if it was our first meeting. Go for a coffee and then tell her you're in a difficult financial position right now. If she doesn't get it, she's not for you. When I was younger I used to go on dates and we'd go for walks, to parks, museums, etc. then have a coffee somewhere. It's not difficult to find somewhere to go. But lying, no that'd finish me off!
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Dating in the early stages you're just getting to know someone. I'd also suggest a coffee or drink for a first date, like others have said half hour/ hour is enough time to decide if you like each enough to go on another date. The second date of a walk along the beach sounds lovely. From my point of view I internet dated and wouldnt have gone for a walk on a first date (safety reasons) I'd happily go for a drink/cuppa though and if I felt comfortable then a walk along the beach on the second date I'd definitely like the idea of. After that you can work up to after a few dates depending on how things go inviting them round and making them dinner (cheaper than a meal out)

There will be people that don't want to date that way but then there's no point in you getting into a relationship with someone like that because you aren't going to be able to live like that.

Im in debt and my partner knows, we have lovely times together and they don't cost much money. If he had been someone who could only enjoy expensive nights out, trips away etc our relationship wouldn't survive.

Good luck there will be plenty of people who would be relieved to be dating someone who doesn't want to spend £50/£100 on an evening out!
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    People (women in particular) will quite often want the first date to be somewhere public, with others around, and a restaurant is relatively standard for that.

That doesn!!!8217;t have to mean a Michelin starred place, though, a cafe in a park would probably do, or an ice cream shop down by the sea.

If you literally have nothing, though, not even a couple of pounds for a coffee, then to be honest I think that you may struggle. People are not only scouting out a future spouse, they want to have a bit of fun, and that tends to mean a bit of expense.

Tell people that you are a bit cash strappped, and suggest something at the reasonable end, but despite the positive thoughts above, I do think you will struggle a bit if you literally say that you haven!!!8217;t even got enough for a cup of tea.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    I don't date, because I don't want to, but if I did I wouldn't be looking for someone with oodles of money to lavish on me. Money doesn't impress me one bit. I would be looking for someone with a friendly personality, a sense of humour, someone with interesting conversations. I also value honesty.

A first date is just about making contact, testing the waters, getting to know a bit about someone, so a coffee or a walk is fine.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • itchyfeet123
    Options
    Well, what do you do for fun on your own? There are plenty of cheap/free entertainment options. If you frame it as "these are the things I like to do" then you're more likely to meet someone who wants to spend time doing those things. Likewise, as you cast your net, look for people who mention those things as their own interests/hobbies. On the flip side, there's not much point in reaching out to people who mention hobbies or interests that aren't in your budget. Sure, you don't have to do everything together, but some overlapping interests are necessary.

And as others have said, you don't need to budget for two; it's pretty standard to either split the bill or alternate paying (if there's more than one encounter).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure