How much did you save before having a child?

Options

Comments

• LavenderBee
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking Milly, how big was your little one? I've only bought 0-3 clothing in the sales; was planning on using our bonus Nectar points in either the 25% off clothing event, or spring double up if they run it this year, to get a plain white multipacks in newborn and/or 1 month. I just worry they won't need them for very long!

I think we may get offered some from a distant family member which is fine, I've no aversions to secondhand, but they'll definitely be pink and princessy - and we're having a yellow baby!
  • JenniferD
    Options
    Little person came as a surprise so no chance to save in advance. My lifestyle changed so I made changes to how I spent my extra money each month.

Instead of shopping at Sainsbury's I now shop at Aldi and cook as many meals in bulk as possible using fresh ingredients. The saving alone is mind blowing each week! Plus I'm in the house more as I don't go out in the evenings anywhere near as much!

Nothing beats going outside every day, to the park, back garden or a friends house to play. Fresh air, exercise and it's free!

Oh and baby table top sales where people sell on clothes and toys as their children grow up are incredible!
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We did the same calculations - how much would we need saved for me to be on mat leave for 12 months and still have the same spends etc. We came to 9k. Once I went back to work the money would be ok.

I saved 2k whilst ttc and before we ttc then 7k after, to be honest I'm not sure how - DH was retraining so earning less and I don't really remember cutting stuff ou, though naturally I went out less for nights out etc. We already had some savings, which we've kept and used some to buy baby stuff. I was more frugal than expected on mat leave and we mortgaged to a lower rate part way through which saved us money and at the end of mat leave I had £1500 left on top of the household savings, which was nice.
  • Amara
    Amara Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nothing, but bought all stuff while pregnant. I came back to work as self employed soon after having baby , just few hours per week.
  • FreddieFrugal
    Options
    JenniferD wrote: »
    Instead of shopping at Sainsbury's I now shop at Aldi

Correct choice ... Sainsburys is a dump!
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • TeaRex
    TeaRex Posts: 52 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2018 at 7:33PM
    Options
    We didn't really have savings...I wanted to be debt free ideally but that hasn't quite happened but close enough! Im lucky that I get a good maternity package with my work and my partner works evenings anyway so will be around during the day. My only worry is the 3 months I go down to half pay but hoping I can save during the months I will be getting full pay by cutting my debt repayments to the bare minimum.

Like another poster said if you wait for the 'right time' it will never come. Im already 31 and Im now 23 weeks pregnant and didn't want to leave it any later really.

It doesn't have to be expensive. I am buying most clothes second hand off ebay, you can get huge bundles of really nice stuff! I bought a few pieces of clothing and bottles in the baby events in the supermarkets at the moment, get all the freebies you can from places like Emma Diary etc. I bought a full travel system which was just used at a grandparents house which included car seat, pram frame, carry cot, pram seat, isofix base and changing bag for £150 delivered when its still in the shops for £500 plus.
    June 2015 Debt - £23643 // March 2018 Debt - £1490
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member - 584
  • cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    We saved 10k specifically to cover the shortfall in wages if I were to take a year off. Luckily I got 6 months full pay.

However your expenses do change - for example I used to spend £250 a month commuting and obviously didn't have this at all while off on maternity. Hubby also saved £250 a month while he was off on paternity.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    didn't save for any of mine. the cost of having a baby isnt much for the baby as others have said. it's the loss of earnings which is the issue. this affected me right from the start of pregnancy with my 1st as i had to quit 2 of my 3 jobs due to sickness and exhaustion. with my 2nd i was a student nurse and my bursary suddenly stopping for mat leave meant a lot of bills went into default and I'm still payomg for that now. luckily it learnt my lesson by the 3rd
  • Jaymie_kate
    Options
    You know we'd always plan to save and then we do for some time and some thing comes along and you shell out because it's considered necessity. It's hard to save because we're already on a tight budget.
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    We didn't save, just cleared our (well my £20k+ post uni) debts first. Would have liked kids earlier (were early 30's when we had 1st) but felt having a child whilst balls deep in debt was irresponsible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure