We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Moss on Lawn

Options
JEN22
JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
I have a very mossy lawn this year would scarifying get rid of it?

Comments

• gamston
    gamston Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    where I live everyone has mossy lawns
    I hate it, tried most things each year, best I've found is heavy scarifying then hollow core aeration (I hire a petrol hollow core aerator £40 a day) then re-seed
  • Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 November 2018 at 12:19AM
    Options
    I have a very mossy lawn this year would scarifying get rid of it?

Scarifying will remove moss from your lawn but you have to kill the moss first. Scarifying won't stop the moss coming back next year but it will reduce the amount that grows back
    https://theperfectgarden.co.uk/how-to-get-rid-of-moss-in-lawns/
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I put weed/feed/mosskiller down, then about 4/6 weeks later go over the lawn with one of these

https://www.diy.com/departments/tertiary-400w-electric-lawn-raker/212483_BQ.prd
  • seanoctagan
    Options
    Personally I prefer mossy lawns - I find them much more comfortable to lie/sit on and nicer to look at; plus they host a lot of beneficial wildlife - I don't understand why people are obsessed with getting rid of moss - I bet if moss was hard to grow and grass was easy to grow we'd all be trying to get rid of the grass and replace it with moss!
  • JEN22
    JEN22 Posts: 612 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your replies I will look for a moss killer first then try raking
  • elaineruk
    elaineruk Posts: 98 Forumite
    Options
    I think Doff do a good reasonably priced moss killer - I think they have something combined with fertiliser for the lawn too
  • gamston
    gamston Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a big lawn, tried a 2 different feed weed & moss killers (pet friendly) and both times within days I had to take my cats to vets with "viral" illness, maybe coincidence ?
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    Not always the case that applying moss killer prior to scarifying is best.

Often moss killer in granular form will not penetrate to the base of the moss and so only kill the top portion.

I would scarify first to remove the bulk of moss and then treat with liquid iron the finish it off.
  • Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307 Forumite
    edited 2 February 2019 at 12:44PM
    Options
    Not always the case that applying moss killer prior to scarifying is best.

Often moss killer in granular form will not penetrate to the base of the moss and so only kill the top portion.

I would scarify first to remove the bulk of moss and then treat with liquid iron the finish it off.

Agreed. I used a professional liquid iron this year and found it to be a lot better than granular too.

An off the shelf product such as Maxicrop liquid iron and lawn tonic will do the job.
    amazon sell it https://amzn.to/2JeWOLR
    https://theperfectgarden.co.uk/how-to-get-rid-of-moss-in-lawns/
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All these treatments may temporarily remove moss, but you'll still need to improve drainage, improve nutrition, reduce shade, and stop scalping the lawn when you cut it, if you want the moss to stay away.

There is really no simple one-stop fix.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure