Helpmewin Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you. I will give that a try.
  • janE1956
    janE1956 Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Helpmewin wrote: »
    I have never done a daily mag win before. I don!!!8217;t think they appear on the website that I have been entering competitions on. Is the regular competitions forum where I would find a link for that??

Another question I was going to ask is has anyone had any success with the capita/capitalxtra/heart competitions?

yes in the "Regular competitions" good luck
  • ellen_vannin
    Options
    You have to be in it to win it !

Approx how many comps do you enter in a week?

Keep trying and Good luck
  • jamiewallis2001
    Options
    I've been comping for a couple of months and had 2 wins - one on twitter (£20 Next voucher) and one on Facebook (£100 fashion voucher). I wonder if the odds of winning are better on social media. Perhaps you could make competition accounts to increase your chances?
  • Helpmewin
    Helpmewin Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I would say I am entering around 150-200 competitions a week. I did used to enter every competition but I have been slightly more selective now as I have enough rubbish in the house gathering dust.

The straw that broke the camels back last time around is that I got an email from a competition saying that I had won £500 worth of fragrances, only to get another email after I replied to say they had a computer error and sent the email to the wrong person. If that’s not unlucky I don’t know what is?
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,644 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 April 2018 at 11:15AM
    Options
    I think I can tell you what you are doing wrong: you are expecting to win.

We all do this crazy 'little' hobby, hoping to win, but it's a mistake to expect it. I started comping years and years ago when someone I knew won a car from a magazine competition. That person wasn't a comper. They just entered this magazine's comps, and got lucky. It inspired me to look into comping, and the rest, for me, is history.

So you can win from just entering one comp. On the other hand, there are lots of compers who go ages and ages without winning. Some, like you, haven't won, even though they've been trying for a very long time.

The truth is that the more you do, the greater are your chances. Up to 200 comps a week isn't actually that many, compared to what some of us do. I've cut down a little, but I used to enter around 200 a day. And yes, I won quite a bit too.

If you are looking for motivation, try entering comps for smaller prizes. Make it things that you actually want, but I've had some very nice small wins, like the occasional bar of chocolate, or a DVD. It still counts and it helps to keep you going. Also try local comps. Your odds are much higher with these if you have to collect a prize, or if it's for a local event.

If you have time, have a go at some of the magazine dailies and/or click to wins. I've had some love wins with those.

As for the radio ones. I've been doing these since I started comping and never won a thing from them - but I'm just about to post something in IWIWIW because I finally have. And it's a very nice win too.

For me, comping isn't exactly about winning, it's more about the hope of winning, and excitement of never knowing what's around the corner. It has to be fun, otherwise, it's not worth it.

I hope you will keep comping, and I hope you win something lovely, very soon. Just don't count on it, or your comping experience will be mainly one of disappointment.

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • sleepyjones
    sleepyjones Posts: 6,087 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Worth noting too, if you're using other sites to find competitions, be careful about inadvertently entering the same competition more than once ... a lot of competitions you are only allowed to enter once so if they find you have entered more than once they may disqualify you and you won't even know.

The good thing about MSE is that you can green tick it so that you know you've entered, if you green tick it here though and then go find it on HotUKDeals and enter again though you'll be running into the same problem. So, I would suggest maybe keeping to MSE for a while or just make sure you manage what you're entering somehow to ensure you don't enter the same thing twice.
  • lnesbitt
    lnesbitt Posts: 175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just want to echo what everyone else is saying. It took me five years to win anything - and then it all seemed worth it! (It wasn't via this site, but it was on Facebook).

It really is the luck of the draw. And it's like playing the lottery... someone might (and did) win on their first ticket. Others will play for years and get nothing.

I only enter competitions for a prize that I want to win, or something that a friend or family member would like, but that's still 60-100 comps a day.

Put it this way... you definitely won't win if you don't enter - and all it costs is your time.
  • womble65
    womble65 Posts: 578 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I've been comping for over 20 years since the days of postcard entries and subscribing to comp magazines. I like you have won very little. I've tried many things suggested with no joy, maybe some people do have more luck than others who knows. If you don't win you haven't lost anything other than time so keep at it but don't let it take over your life.
    :EasterBun Everyone seems normal until you get to know them
  • Just_a_girl
    Just_a_girl Posts: 294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've been comping for a couple of months and had 2 wins - one on twitter (£20 Next voucher) and one on Facebook (£100 fashion voucher). I wonder if the odds of winning are better on social media. Perhaps you could make competition accounts to increase your chances?

I don't think so....I have entered over 27,000 comps on twitter and have won about about 10 things - I keep on because those wins have been nice wins! Same with Facebook.

I think its different for different people - Its just luck!
    2018 WINS: Gin & Chocolate Hamper*Kids Shoes*Sudocrem Goodeybag*Malvern Spring Festival Tickets*Kids's Book* Bosch Soundboxx*Board Game*Friction Free Shave Subscription*Splash Out Ball*Blackberry Farm Tickets* Tickets to Chessington *Cat Treats*Seed Mix*Contour Next One *Majestic Wine Gift Card*£500 Lakeland Bundle*Shorn Wine Pouch
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure