What am I doing wrong?

Options
13»

Comments

• Jimly.
    Jimly. Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 8 May 2018 at 9:29AM
    Options
    I've been entering competitions for almost 9 years now and only won two small prizes not even worth mentioning.I remember back when I first came to this place in 2009 seeing people win multiple big prizes every single year. And I see it's still the same today. I think it's impossible for me to actually win a competition. I entered one comp over 600 times (free no limit entry) and still didn't win a single thing. Yet I know today I'll see someone who won a holiday and money and other large prizes telling us they've had yet another email or phone call. Meanwhile other people whining because they've had a dry spell for all of 3 weeks. Then you check their signature and see they won £10,000 last year and a cruise the year before. To be honest, what's really annoying isn't that I don't win but that other people win over and over. That's the thing about entering comps. You can put in the same effort as someone else yet reap none of the rewards unlike anything else in life. At least if you put the time into another hobby you'd have something to show for it. Edward Van Halen can be on stage earning millions while you're not but you'd still be a great guitar player. What's the residual of entering comps? Nothing. Just spam emails and nuisance phone calls.
  • lemonade11
    lemonade11 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I think social media giveaways are the way to go these days to be honest. I used to win loads before social media took over, but now they are far more accessible. Twitter giveaways have a fairly good success rate and are much less spammy than facebook x
  • Boom_Boom
    Boom_Boom Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lemonade11 wrote: »
    I think social media giveaways are the way to go these days to be honest. I used to win loads before social media took over, but now they are far more accessible. Twitter giveaways have a fairly good success rate and are much less spammy than facebook x

I wish social media comps would disappear to be honest. They are vastly over subscribed and I am convinced that Facebook, Twitter, Rafflecopter and Gleam are the least fair competitions.

From what I have seen they are seldom drawn fairly so this reduces the chances even more for most.
  • CaptainVolvo
    CaptainVolvo Posts: 30 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2018 at 12:58PM
    Options
    I have quite a different tactic to most and it seems to work for me.
    Rather than spend my time entering a mass of comps, i spend time researching comps that are unknown, or maybe not marketed very well.

For example, comps that are shared on here are 100% going to be swamped with entries. With only 1 prize, the odds of winning continue to reduce until the close date where there are likely 50,000 people enter with only 1 possible winner. Those are the ones i avoid.

I look for comps on instagram or twitter where they have not used hash tags appropriately.
    for example... i stumbled accross a QA competition to win a training course worth £2000. It's a monthly comp and around 5-20 people enter each month. I entered a few months in a row and won not long ago!

Other examples are: £350 virgin wines hamper, hire a Citroen Cactus for a week, Signed football T-shirts and more!

It depends on your tactics, might be worth trying both if you've got the time.

My instagram, twitter and facebook have only around 200 friends but 95% of my feed is companies that regularly do comps. i open facebook and they come to me now, it's more convenient for me and seems to work well as i don't have the time to trawl through 1000 comps a week only to win nothing.

good luck with your comps!

************ Edit 17/05/2018 - Just this morning i have won a competition for a £400 5 man tent, VIP tickets to a festival and free food/drink for the bank holiday weekend!

Woop Woop!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport