New to the investing game

Options
Hello all,

I am considering opening my first S&S ISA. After some reading and considering my risk profile, I am considering investing in the VLS80 and hopefully in the next few years when I get some experience I will expand my portfolio further. (I'm 28, currently buying my first property and have some cash savings as an emergency fund so this seems like the next logical move)

I have a few questions

1. It appears that the Vanguard platform itself may be the cheapest option for me in terms of investing in VLS funds in a S+S isa. Does anyone know other platforms that would be preferential?

2. For those that do use the vanguard platform - the minimum monthly payment is £100 but can do a lump sum of £500. Does that mean I could (for example) pay in £500 and not have to pay the minimum monthly contribution? Does the ISA accept adhoc payments (not monthly DDs) via debit card or the like? I'm hoping to invest between £50 and £100 pm which is below the minimum monthly threshold but if I made an initial investment and added money manually monthly would this be acceptable?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Zorillo
    Zorillo Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1 I like the Vanguard platform and I wish they offered a LISA as it's much easier to navigate by smartphone than AJ Bell is for example.

2 Once you've made a lump sum payment of at least £500 you can then do ad hoc payments or regular contributions of whatever you like.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    1. If you are only going to be investing in Vanguard LifeStrategy for the time being then Vanguard Investor is the cheapest way to do it.

2. Yes, if you make an initial investment of £500 then you can make additional investments as you wish from that point on using a debit card. (I'd suggest setting up a DD to pay your fees every quarter, however, so you don't have to worry about holding cash in the account, or worse, having investments sold to pay the fees).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure