Buying a brand new van, tips?

Options

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't forget all the downsides of using a van, including insurance, parking restrictions, lower speed limits, access to your local tip.
  • PokerPlayer111
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    If you need a "new" vehicle then the sensible thing to do would be to get a decent, used car, that will meet all your needs and as another poster suggested the amount saved in depreciation alone would easily pay for overnight stays in somewhere much more comfortable.

Maybe, currently working out calculations. If we dont get a van was just going to get one of them tesco value dacias new, Maybe the mid range thing, think its called a stepway/duster, they are very cheap.

Still like the idea of being able to stay anywhere for the night, no booking or checkout, no need to find a hotel.
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Don't forget all the downsides of using a van, including insurance, parking restrictions, lower speed limits, access to your local tip.

Ok point taken, what about travel cost difference? if you use a van as your day to day vehicle? big difference?
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Depends entirely on your current car - but, yes, a 6ft tall vehicle with a blunt front is going to be thirstier than most cars, simply because of basic aerodynamics.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't forget that unlike a car you buy the price the van is advertised will be without VAT so you need to add 20% onto it so £17k new is £17k+VAT= £20,400.
  • PokerPlayer111
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Don't forget that unlike a car you buy the price the van is advertised will be without VAT so you need to add 20% onto it so £17k new is £17k+VAT= £20,400.

Yeah im seeing some with VAT and some without. Think its 17k total for brand new swb vivaro. They look cool i think, same with the transit customs.

Anyway the idea needs more thought.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    The current Vivaro's soon ending production, being replaced with a Vauxhall-badged Peugeot Expert/Citroen Dispatch/Toyota ProAce instead of the current Vauxhall-badged Renault Trafic/Fiat Talento (it'll stay on the market under those badges), so it's no surprise they're doing substantial discounts on run-out deals. A two-second google finds £14k+vat for vans that list at £22k+vat, so - yep - £17k inc vat. But double check that...

http://www.happynewvan.co.uk/products/details/2936.html
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What about something like a 7 seat people carrier. fold the 6/7th seats and remove the rear bench/fold flat for overnighters?
    Obviously need to check the size/rear flexibility on the model.
  • PokerPlayer111
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    The current Vivaro's soon ending production, being replaced with a Vauxhall-badged Peugeot Expert/Citroen Dispatch/Toyota ProAce instead of the current Vauxhall-badged Renault Trafic/Fiat Talento (it'll stay on the market under those badges), so it's no surprise they're doing substantial discounts on run-out deals. A two-second google finds £14k+vat for vans that list at £22k+vat, so - yep - £17k inc vat. But double check that...

http://www.happynewvan.co.uk/products/details/2936.html

Nice, so if you buy from that site its safe? just like a dealership i guess vauxhall still provide all the cover and they are a official reseller? Cheers
    custardy wrote: »
    What about something like a 7 seat people carrier. fold the 6/7th seats and remove the rear bench/fold flat for overnighters?
    Obviously need to check the size/rear flexibility on the model.

Yeah considering, just wondering on stealth if we have a light on etc, dont really want to attract attention if we park in random areas. Also have to check out sizes, its a potential idea though.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Nice, so if you buy from that site its safe?
    I have absolutely zero idea, and have never heard of them before. I'm merely putting that link there to give an idea of what prices are being advertised.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    Options
    If you want my advice - don't do it, it's very addictive!
    I wandered into a VW dealer, looked at a very blingy two month old lwb T5 and came out £26k lighter. Have had it for four years and only use it in the summer for exactly the reason you're looking and it's brilliant. Basic yes but you can make it very cosy/comfortable and then use it as a 'van' later. Best toy/gadget ever and can't imagine being without it.
    Beats twice the money on a camper. If the car goes bang I'd happily use it as the replacement.
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport