2008 - Live on £4000 for a full year.

Options

Comments

• mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank Nyk, we do have S/fields but it would be a special trip.

Any shopping trip is 25 mile round unless I call in at Co-op in the village where DS2 has footie training.

Got some recycled loo rolls yesday 4pk/£1.04 and fairtrade choc brownies were reduced to half price even cheaper than making my recipe from Nigella.Plus they give 5x divi points on fairtrade.

I have certain principles which have to be taken into account when working things out. I use all recycled paper products so that I can close the loop, and I try to buy fair trade if at all possible.

I also buy organic, for certain things.

Have just called in at Mr M to get some petrol on way home from DS2 footie match so that I don't have to go out specially another day this week and use £3 worth just to get it.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I must admit I do like chips and I do prefer to oven-baked variety but they can be quite expensive.

LIDL does have oven-baked chips for 59p (1kg) whose ingredients are potato and oil. But they also sell 'frying' chips at 99p for 2.5kg, whose ingredients are potato and oil!

So, why do the frozen 'frying' chips have oil in them? Surely 'frying' chips would get their oil from what you fry them in? So, can these 'frying' chips be used as oven chips? Maybe ready-made oven chips are sold as such to justify the price?

Maybe it is possible to make one's own 'oven' chips from fresh potatoes?

BTW I never heat up the oven before I use it - that just seems to be a waste of time and money!
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes Paul V you can oven cook frying chips (we bought some by accident recently) It just took a lot, lot longer in the oven than oven chips
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    Yes Paul V you can oven cook frying chips (we bought some by accident recently) It just took a lot, lot longer in the oven than oven chips

I guess that oven chips are partially pre-cooked (which probably justifies the extra cost).
  • natalie1974
    Options
    Would have loved to have joined in but I spend £100 a week on petrol just for the school run alone , £375 a month on private school fees then there is the mortgage , council tax etc etc so I need approx £500 a week to live on :cry:
    Baby Thomas born 3 months early by emergency section on 21/1/09 weighing 1lb 15ozs .
    Thomas came home after 3 months and 2 days in hospital weighing 5lb 15ozs
    Thomas weighed 21lb 4ozs on his 1st birthday , a total weight gain of 18lbs 5ozs !
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all,

Penny you are doing really well with the challenge! You and Jacks are all organised and have listed your spends already! I'm jealous at having to wait until January 31st now! I'm trying to have a few NSDs in an effort to catch up and have now been to eBid and annnounced there that I intend trying to raise 25% of this year's challenge money from making the most of the free listings sales on their site! :eek: It kind of ties in with yet another of my many cyber (online) dosh (cash) challenges and will maybe help me make a start on my new cottage industry. :o I'm kind of neglecting that (MSE) thread as I'm so busy keeping up here. I haven't even started making any more papier mache animals let alone been able to make anything new that's worthy of attempting to sell. Still, I did find the eBid thread on MSE, which I am glad to see is still in existance.

Slow cooker is on at the moment with a load of curried lentils & first batch of chicken. Looks like there'll be enough for about 6 meals instead of 3 :rotfl:
    Have cheated and am cooking the rice in the microwave even although I forgot about all the extra portions that I have in the freezer. I really MUST keep up with my own food inventory!
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Would have loved to have joined in but I spend £100 a week on petrol just for the school run alone , £375 a month on private school fees then there is the mortgage , council tax etc etc so I need approx £500 a week to live on :cry:

First, hello and welcome to the 4k challenge thread. Now, may I draw your attention to the above highlighted phrase... this is the part where you have confused our challenge, as it does not include things like private school fees and £100 a week on petrol for the school run. This is just about the absolute necessities such as utilities, groceries and basic essentials. It includes Internet & telephone bills because we all need these in order to take part but we don't need to divulge where else we spend money as those decisions are all made through personal choice. The challenge is about what everyone HAS to pay for each year. Some of us are, indeed, trying our best to live on £4000 for everything (excluding mortgage/rent and council Tax/water) but others are attempting to reduce their basic spending in order to afford to make more financial choices with the surplus :) Having kids in private school doesn't mean you can't join in the fun, so feel free to join us anytime :)
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • natalie1974
    Options
    Thanks for making that clear to me , right I will need to sit down now and work out what I spend
    Baby Thomas born 3 months early by emergency section on 21/1/09 weighing 1lb 15ozs .
    Thomas came home after 3 months and 2 days in hospital weighing 5lb 15ozs
    Thomas weighed 21lb 4ozs on his 1st birthday , a total weight gain of 18lbs 5ozs !
  • bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    Options
    still can't work out how this is a challenge.... me and two cats live on £11 a week.... lol.....

CharliesAngel,
    I would love to know how you survive on £572 for the year??:confused: Surely you're just talking about food?
    Lollopybear, did you not say you were training to be a teacher? Sorry if I have the wrong person, but if it was you then there's your answer for the cold :D

I've got my eye on a couple of aubergines at the Coop (I'm lucky enough to have one a couple of minutes walk away) - at the mo they're reduced to 50p but I'm going back after 9pm to see if they're reduced further...There wasn't any bread when I went at 5pm so no hope of some cheap loaves :rolleyes: Probably won't do my week's spend til tomorrow now.
    Now that we're doing up the house, I've spent £30+ on 'nothing' today. It's not coming out of this budget but out of what I save and will hopefully add value to my house. OH is wonderful and is working really hard on it, but he's does come up with some worrying suggestions e.g. getting new wood floors throughout :eek: We'll be sanding down the wood that's there, thanks v much! I'm a little scared as I'm paying for all the renovations (it's my house) and he loves DIY so he could get carried away unless I rein him in :D I do appreciate all the hard work he's putting in though, don't think I'm a heartless be-ach :D
    I can't believe it's nearly the end of Month 1:T; what I can believe even less is just how much I'm looking forward to scrutinising my spends at great length to see how I can do better next month :rotfl:
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
  • Janey51
    Janey51 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DH sabotaged my NSD by buying some sausages for £2.34 :mad: . Never mind that we have what seems like half a pig available to munch on already.
    I was very restrained and did not express my feelings but he could see it on my face.
    Felt guilty and made some more Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies for him to nibble :D
    Just checked the weather forecast for next week and its forecasting -10 (with wind chill) for our area.
    Panic :eek: Panic :eek:
    Have spent this afternoon bringing logs in to dry off more. Rayburn still full of pine cones which are drying off beautifully and are brill for lighting the fire.

If it snows really badly I might not be able to get to work which means I will save the petrol and be able to have "Adverse Weather Leave".
    On the other hand, I will then have to use my own heating, lighting and yes, toilet paper.:rolleyes:

Oh, Frugalism is a hard taskmaster with many hurdles to overcome.

I am desperate not to put our heating on as the oil is astronomically expensive at the moment. I[URL="file://\\its"]ts[/URL] cosy in the lounge now but when the wind blows, even shutters and heavy curtains struggle to keep it warm.
    Now, if someone could genetically modify a cat to shut a door after them.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure