EE mobile router / vectone sim

Options
Hi!
I have the occasional need for internet access away from home. The data I'll use on those occasions exceeds the data allowance on my mobile. I have an EE 3g router that I normally use with an ee sim pre-loaded with data that I buy from ebay.

However the cost of those sims has gone up.

I've got the router unlocked and bought a vectone sim which I've put in the router after adding a data bundle onto it. I understand Vectone uses the EE network. How do I pursuade the router to use the vectone sim - it seems to recognise the sim and the sim seems to register on the network, but that's as far as I get. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

It's not the end of the world as I can just set up an old phone with a hotspot using the vectone sim, but it is a bit frustrating.

Thanks

Kevin

Comments

• thorganby
    Options
    You need to change the Access Point Name (APN) to webuk.mundio.com and activate the data.

Details here:

https://www.vectonemobile.co.uk/support/mobile-data-settings
  • mnbvcxz
    mnbvcxz Posts: 382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you manually changed the apn setting in the router to webuk.mundio.com ?

No username or password.

I assume the sim works in a mobile?

Turn it on and off?

It would be interesting to hear how good the vectone speeds are compared to EE.

Good luck
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    yeah get the vectone sim working in a phone first
  • StockportGerbil
    Options
    Hi!
    Thanks for the replies.

I had changed the APN and activated data.

I have now tried the sim in a phone and it worked straight off. Put it back in the router and now working... :-(

In answer to the question about speeds... not good.

My wife is on EE and the speedtest app reckons she gets 70Mbps (I had switched her wifi off and anyway the most I can get out of that is 20 Mbps)

On vectone from the phone and router I'm getting 9 Mbps. I might get an emergency EE SIM if vectone proves too slow.

Thanks again

Kevin
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is
    Vectone 4G ?
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Hi!
    Thanks for the replies.

I had changed the APN and activated data.

I have now tried the sim in a phone and it worked straight off. Put it back in the router and now working... :-(

In answer to the question about speeds... not good.

My wife is on EE and the speedtest app reckons she gets 70Mbps (I had switched her wifi off and anyway the most I can get out of that is 20 Mbps)

On vectone from the phone and router I'm getting 9 Mbps. I might get an emergency EE SIM if vectone proves too slow.

Thanks again

Kevin

Mobile broadband speeds vary a lot depending on the distance and location of the nearest mast. Different providers may use different masts. They also vary in their ability to handle high traffic loads.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure