Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wellgood
    • By Wellgood 21st Sep 19, 4:22 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Wellgood
    0 WOW
    Surely it makes sense to....
    • 21st Sep 19, 4:22 PM
    0 WOW
    Surely it makes sense to.... 21st Sep 19 at 4:22 PM
    Surely it makes sense to NOT book any EU holiday during October half term as Brexit deadline is smack bang in the middle of that week. I'm asking my partner to just wait until we know whats happening but they just want to book now. Am i being too cautious?. I am a natural worst case scenario type of person and don't really fancy potentially being delayed at airports, long queues, etc. with the kids. Am i justified in holding off the booking till we know more? I think so but my partner thinks i'm worrying about nothing. Thanks for any opinions of what you'd do in same predicament.
Page 1
    • z1a
    • By z1a 21st Sep 19, 4:46 PM
    • 2,347 Posts
    • 2,403 Thanks
    z1a
    • 21st Sep 19, 4:46 PM
    • 21st Sep 19, 4:46 PM
    I agree with your partner.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 21st Sep 19, 5:08 PM
    • 8,380 Posts
    • 6,986 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 21st Sep 19, 5:08 PM
    • 21st Sep 19, 5:08 PM
    Not all half terms are the same week in October. Some schools also have two weeks.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 21st Sep 19, 5:11 PM
    • 12,396 Posts
    • 8,075 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 21st Sep 19, 5:11 PM
    • 21st Sep 19, 5:11 PM
    I'd be more worried about the price of a holiday at this late stage with Thomas Cook teetering.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 21st Sep 19, 5:30 PM
    • 3,359 Posts
    • 1,702 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    • 21st Sep 19, 5:30 PM
    • 21st Sep 19, 5:30 PM
    If you don't book now, it will cost more nearer the time, the deal has been agreed even in a no-deal scenario that flights will continue as normal. The only issue will be delays at the borders and I suspect it may be on the way home, trying to get back into the UK rather than arriving or leaving another EU country that you could be waiting longer than now, but frankly no one knows
    • socks_uk
    • By socks_uk 21st Sep 19, 6:06 PM
    • 2,714 Posts
    • 2,103 Thanks
    socks_uk
    • 21st Sep 19, 6:06 PM
    • 21st Sep 19, 6:06 PM
    Half-term at the school I work at starts Friday 18th October and back at school on Tuesday 29th. I'm so looking forward to our coach trip to Italy with Shearings Coaches! (429 each all-inclusive!)
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = 10,148 (9832)
    Nationwide Loan (3.2%)= 7682 (7361)
    Sainsburys Credit Card (0%) = 1983 (balance transfer in process)
    M&S Credit Card (0%)= 488 (balance transfer in progress)
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 21st Sep 19, 8:15 PM
    • 6,269 Posts
    • 5,716 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 21st Sep 19, 8:15 PM
    • 21st Sep 19, 8:15 PM
    As this is MSE you could use Brexit as an excuse to can the whole idea of any holiday at halfterm and save the money for next time or a rainy day or add to the early retirement fund or whatever....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • Westin
    • By Westin 22nd Sep 19, 6:20 AM
    • 2,074 Posts
    • 1,521 Thanks
    Westin
    • 22nd Sep 19, 6:20 AM
    • 22nd Sep 19, 6:20 AM
    Listen to your partner.
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 22nd Sep 19, 6:34 AM
    • 12,934 Posts
    • 28,040 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    • 22nd Sep 19, 6:34 AM
    • 22nd Sep 19, 6:34 AM
    I personally wouldn't worry about it, but I would suggest you still read the DOT advice HERE on EU travel after Brexit.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 22nd Sep 19, 5:14 PM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 3,882 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    The doors aren't going to slam shut at midnight, sadly it looks like you've been sucked in by the propaganda.
    Your partner sounds like who you need to listen to
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 22nd Sep 19, 5:49 PM
    • 1,806 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    Ganga
    Or you could always holiday in the UK.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 30th Sep 19, 8:14 PM
    • 10,171 Posts
    • 35,565 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    If you are given to worrying, it could ruin the holiday. Go earlier (if possible) or not at all and take the family castle hunting in South Wales instead (not hard - higher density of castles in South Wales than anywhere in Europe!)

Sure the weather may not be too friendly but who said Europe was rain free?
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 30th Sep 19, 8:44 PM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 3,148 Thanks
    Sharon87
    I'd be a little concerned about delays at the borders, but hopefully there aren't.

I personally don't think Brexit will happen on the 31st October, but if it does flights should still run.

I'm going Italy a week after the Brexit deadline. I'm getting my money before 31st October because knowing the exchange rates they'll temporarily plummet (like after the referendum, election, anytime Theresa May talked publicly!). I would exchange currency soon for the certainty of a semi decent rate
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 30th Sep 19, 10:35 PM
    • 4,936 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    eDicky
    I would exchange currency soon for the certainty of a semi decent rate
    Originally posted by Sharon87
    There's no certainty whatsoever. The value of the pound may improve, stay the same as now, or decline.

The perceived future influences are already reflected in the pound's current value by the market. Only unexpected events will cause a major change, such as the 2016 referendum result did.

If you are exchanging cash, that already reduces your chances of benefit by ~3% because of the margin you pay on the exchange rate.
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 30th Sep 19, 10:50 PM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 3,148 Thanks
    Sharon87
    There's no certainty whatsoever. The value of the pound may improve, stay the same as now, or decline.

The perceived future influences are already reflected in the pound's current value by the market. Only unexpected events will cause a major change, such as the 2016 referendum result did.

If you are exchanging cash, that already reduces your chances of benefit by ~3% because of the margin you pay on the exchange rate.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    I get a decent cash rate (1.115 at the moment. xe.com shows exchange rate is 1.127 right now) at my local exchange place if I preorder online, so not too bad. I'm not going to exchange much.

I think that rate is pretty good based on the past couple of years. There is no certainty with the exchange rate I agree, but every time anything leans towards brexit or a no deal brexit the pound has temporarily gone down for at least a couple of weeks. So I'm basing it off previous milestones of the Brexit process.

If there's a deal it may go up and great. I'm not exchanging all of my money, just some of it (Martin suggests half and half if you're not certain and want to secure a rate you're happy with)
    • cubegame
    • By cubegame 30th Sep 19, 11:03 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 1,010 Thanks
    cubegame
    Why would anyone worry about getting stuck in their holiday destination? Free extra holiday....duh!
    • bobblebob
    • By bobblebob 1st Oct 19, 5:37 AM
    • 660 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    bobblebob
    My mate originally booked to fly on Brexit day before the extension. Why worry? Nothing is going to change other than maybe extra security checks.
    • Sharon87
    • By Sharon87 1st Oct 19, 10:18 AM
    • 3,731 Posts
    • 3,148 Thanks
    Sharon87
    Why would anyone worry about getting stuck in their holiday destination? Free extra holiday....duh!
    Originally posted by cubegame
    I know, when my flight got cancelled because of the French air traffic control I got an extra 24 hours in Ibiza. Lots of people were stressing and there I was thinking 'woohoo another extra day, better text work I won't be in tomorrow!' It can't be helped if flights get cancelled, your employer/schools will understand.
    • maman
    • By maman 1st Oct 19, 10:29 AM
    • 20,683 Posts
    • 122,908 Thanks
    maman
    I know, when my flight got cancelled because of the French air traffic control I got an extra 24 hours in Ibiza. Lots of people were stressing and there I was thinking 'woohoo another extra day, better text work I won't be in tomorrow!' It can't be helped if flights get cancelled, your employer/schools will understand.
    Originally posted by Sharon87
    That's fine if you're told to stay put at the resort but often people are required to turn up for a flight that just gets delayed and delayed and delayed.

Personally it the week spanning 31st October was the only time I could get leave then I'd book if you can find something that's good value. It might be better waiting a short while as if people refuse to pay the inflated post Thomas Cook prices then the cost might come down a bit.

It's all speculation though and if you want to be safe then have a holiday in the UK.
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 1st Oct 19, 10:29 AM
    • 826 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    bradders1983
    Originally posted by cubegame
    The idea of it sounds great but the reality is a faff. I assume not everyone can afford the extra outlay to pay for extra accommodation and/or food, then there is missing time off work (possibly unpaid), excess car parking charges etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

133Posts Today

2,237Users online

Martin's Twitter