Surely it makes sense to....

Options
Surely it makes sense to NOT book any EU holiday during October half term as Brexit deadline is smack bang in the middle of that week. I'm asking my partner to just wait until we know whats happening but they just want to book now. Am i being too cautious?. I am a natural worst case scenario type of person and don't really fancy potentially being delayed at airports, long queues, etc. with the kids. Am i justified in holding off the booking till we know more? I think so but my partner thinks i'm worrying about nothing. Thanks for any opinions of what you'd do in same predicament.

Comments

• z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with your partner.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Not all half terms are the same week in October. Some schools also have two weeks.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd be more worried about the price of a holiday at this late stage with Thomas Cook teetering.
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you don't book now, it will cost more nearer the time, the deal has been agreed even in a no-deal scenario that flights will continue as normal. The only issue will be delays at the borders and I suspect it may be on the way home, trying to get back into the UK rather than arriving or leaving another EU country that you could be waiting longer than now, but frankly no one knows
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Half-term at the school I work at starts Friday 18th October and back at school on Tuesday 29th. I'm so looking forward to our coach trip to Italy with Shearings Coaches! (£429 each all-inclusive!)
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As this is MSE you could use Brexit as an excuse to can the whole idea of any holiday at halfterm and save the money for next time or a rainy day or add to the early retirement fund or whatever....
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Listen to your partner.
  • worldtraveller
    Options
    I personally wouldn't worry about it, but I would suggest you still read the DOT advice HERE on EU travel after Brexit.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    The doors aren't going to slam shut at midnight, sadly it looks like you've been sucked in by the propaganda.
    Your partner sounds like who you need to listen to :)
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Or you could always holiday in the UK.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure