MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Who should pay for the lost iPod?

Options

Comments

• pennypinchUK
    Options
    First of all, I'd wait 15 working days (the length of time Royal Mail requires before it's accepted an item is lost in the post). During this time, I'd be in contact with the buyer asking them to check with the local sorting office. I've been a full time eBayer and have had many instances when a buyer claims they've not received an item, only for them to find it in the sorting office awaiting their collection. They'll swear blind the postie didn't leave a card to say there was no-one in when they tried to deliver it (and the postie couldn't fit it through the letter box). Only afterwards, we find the postie did leave a card but it's been scooped up with the junk mail and put in the bin (this is most common in flats).

Most eBay buyers are honest, and if pressed will confirm when an item has arrived. There are a few who will push their luck more and claim an item hasn't arrived (especially as eBay have now changed the feedback rules so sellers can't leave negative feedback).

If the item doesn't arrive within 15 days you have little or no recall, and sadly it's one to put down to experience. No point in asking your mate to pay the money back - they were just doing you a favour.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, I hope you and your friend would have learned some valuable lessons on this one.

Surely everyone knows by now that you never trust Royal Mail ?
    At the very least get a proof of posting and then they have to colugh up 30 x the cost of your postage if they lose the item.
    It also protects you if devious buyers, (which are extremely rare but do exist), claim non receipt even tho they have received the item.

Your friend did you a favour and you didn't get involved enough to oversee it (or else you went along with that schoolboy error). Either way, I see it is your responsibility. So give your friend back his/her money and accept that this was one of life's reminders to cover your tail - always!
  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't stump up the cash.

His loss. If he never sent it by recorded delivery (Why not, I do not know), sorry his bag.

We all have eBay bad times, as above put it down to experience.
  • daisy1111
    Options
    My Ipod, my problem.

I would rather pay back the money than loose a friend.

I asked for my friends help, I sold my Ipod. Why should my friend be out of pocket for helping me?

Think of it the other way round - if you sold an Ipod for your friend and it didnt turn up i would be very annoyed if they expected me to pay for it when it was their item and their money.
    Money makes the world go mad, the world go mad, the world go mad! :wall:
  • mluton
    mluton Posts: 796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    daisy1111 wrote: »
    My Ipod, my problem.

I would rather pay back the money than loose a friend.

I asked for my friends help, I sold my Ipod. Why should my friend be out of pocket for helping me?

Think of it the other way round - if you sold an Ipod for your friend and it didnt turn up i would be very annoyed if they expected me to pay for it when it was their item and their money.

Would you really loose a friend over this though ?
  • daisy1111
    Options
    I think you could.

If you are both arguing about who should be paying for the item the chances are you could loose a friend.

And if you are refusing the pay it will come out of your friends pocket as it would have been them who the initial money went to. They are not going to be happy about that!
  • stu369
    stu369 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the friend is stupid enough to offer to sell on your behalf and then make a mess of it, they should pay for all the consequences.
    So it would be up to paypal to decide who loses out the buyer or the ebay seller.

If the friend really wanted to be helpful he could have shown me how to use ebay. (give a man a fish/give a man a fishing line)
  • daisy1111
    Options
    Its not stupid enough its about trying to be helpful, friends do that.

Paypal will say it is the sellers fault as the item did not arrive.

If you wanted to learn how to use Ebay you could have asked, but on this occasion the friend did it so you can only presume you didnt!
  • Skeenfleent
    Options
    The person who offered to sell it on ebay should pay for it. I'm no ebay expert, but the cost of recorded delivery is hardly prohibitive of using it every time, especially for something valuable like an ipod.

If your friend didn't know how to properly use ebay, then they shouldn't have offered, as you might have made a better job of it, etc.

Also, the friend would have to put in a claim with Royal Mail, even for normal First Class post, in case it genuinely turns up for some reason. Then everyone's relatively happy.

If your friend is the type of person to not want to pay for their mistakes, and rather argue with you over it to the point that you might have bad blood, then it's a reflection on the depth of the relationship, unfortunately. Certainly not the kind of one to take that level of risk over in the first place when offering to do the selling...
    For all you know they could have sold the ipod on the side themselves and never posted it (not that you'd want to be friends with someone who you'd even consider capable of this, but technically it's possible).

Ultimately you could go 50/50 on the cost to keep things even in the relationship, but it was the responsibility of the seller, plain and simple.
  • Solomon_Broad
    Options
    The mate should pay. They were responsible for listing and shipping the item. They were responsible for the whole transaction. It doesn't mater where the iPod came from.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure