MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Who should pay for the lost iPod?

1235»

Comments

• echelon101 wrote: »
    If the buyer agreed to buy something, "placing a bid", on a item that specified in the postage terms that the item was NOT being sent by special/recorded delivery then the buyer has entered into a contract whereby the item will NOT be delivered by special/recorded delivery. If the buyer is successful in the bidding process and request recorded/special delivery then the seller has every right to decline the request, since it was not in the original contract, or to request additional funds.

You are slightly missing my point. It doesn't matter about the postage used, the important fact is did the buyer get the item? That is the only contract that matters. I certainly wouldn't be happy if I paid for something and it never appeared and of course I am legally and morally obliged to have my money returned.

As a seller I either
    1- Send at least recorded on expensive items - I give the buyer no option of using a non-recordable delivery method
    2- Sell cheap items as second class/first class - if they get lost in the post I take the hit, and will recoup from Royal Mail is possible.
  • gather all the corespondance as evidence,then make a claim on your home contents insurance all risks section,you should be succesfull subject to the excess on the policy.
  • I agree that it depends on what was agreed between the 2 'friends'.
    We had a similar case here. A colleague (Mr.A) who is not eligible to drive in the UK asked his friend Mr.B to drive him to the airport to pick up his family. Mr.A rented the car & registered Mr.B to drive it. On the way back from the airport, they had an accident. The rental company asked for the insurance excess and some other charges for the damages (not sure what kind of insurance he'd taken out), altogether @ £800. Mr.A wanted Mr.B to share the costs since B was the driver who caused the accident. But B refused to pay & A ended up forking out all the cash.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    nigel.m wrote: »
    gather all the corespondance as evidence,then make a claim on your home contents insurance all risks section,you should be succesfull subject to the excess on the policy.

a 2nd hand ipod is unlikely to be worth it
  • siany_d
    siany_d Posts: 5 Forumite
    just a reminder, i work in a post office, there seems to be confusion on royal mails insurance etc

recorded delivery will cover items upto £36, excluding money jewellery vouchers etc, if your item in worth more than £36 it isnt covered at all for example if your item is worth £50 you wont get £36 back for it, its not covered at all.
    special delivery offers compensation upto £2500.

its a bit harsh to suggest that it is always royal mails fault that things go missing, there are dishonest buyers on ebay, plus some of the packaging we see used in the post office, its hardly surprising items dont reach their destination!

(btw i dont work for royal mail so am not trying to defend my employer!)
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    um RM/postoffice/parcelforce its all one big company
  • ElliotReid
    ElliotReid Posts: 331 Forumite
    Given the value of some ipods and the fraud and things there are I would have stipulated SD and set the postage as such.

If the friend had agreed and then not done it I'd be pretty annoyed and would prob expect them to pay at least half of the refund for not going baout it the proper way.
    Homer: Don't you worry about Wikipedia. We'll change it when we get home.
    We'll change a lot of things.
  • Mar.cresham
    Mar.cresham Posts: 1,060 Forumite
    You sould pay. Why sould a friend loss out for doing you a fever
    09 Wins= 5 Rugby balls, 3 Football. A cricket ball. 6 Books. A subway, A T.Shirt, 2 Durex Goody Bags, Beyonce tickets X 7 SETS A Magnum card. 2 glamour wins. Coffee, Jewellery. Moble Phone
    :A
    Be nice and hit Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family