MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Who should pay for the lost iPod?

Comments

• ...would you not just set up an ebay account yourself, it would take minutes and then no third party is involved.

In this instance though, if you are silly enough to give it to a 'mate' to do it and it is not received, which you cannot prove, its your loss. Should have insisted it was sent recorded, in which case you would be covered.

I am sure she would have bought a drink to say thank you so the fees ebay would charge the mate for doing this dont really factor in.

:money:
  • Why should the mate be out of pocket for trying to help a friend? Why did the ipod owner make the mate go down the post office and post it?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    i know its hypothetical but theres a few variables plus handy for people who dont know
    if its worth under £36 and they posted it at a post office they could use their proof of posting to claim compensation
    doesnt matter about recorded as the compensation levels the same
    if its worth more than £36 then special delivery is the service to use

as to the moral question i dont know TBH.i would expect the friend to maybe offer a 50/50 but i suppose it depends how they are for cash as well
  • They only have the buyers word that it was not received! OK it was posted recorded delivery but if the buyer was concerned about it getting lost in the post then he should have insisted it was posted with insurance and been prepared to pay for it. Nobody should pay for the refund.
  • As I understand the legal position, it is the responsibility of the Seller (Vendor) to deliver the Goods. Sellers on eBay often tell Buyers it is not their problem unless the Buyer pays extra for insurance - this is wrong and deliberately misleading.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    As I understand the legal position, it is the responsibility of the Seller (Vendor) to deliver the Goods. Sellers on eBay often tell Buyers it is not their problem unless the Buyer pays extra for insurance - this is wrong and deliberately misleading.

but in this case who are you deeming the seller?
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It's one of those which might have different answers depending on a few variables. Is he a mate, or a 'mate'? Did I ask him to send it Recorded, or just assume?

First off, if I made an assumption I made an 'a$$ out of u and me' as they say. My fault, no question.

If he's a true mate, the question doesn't really need to be asked. I wouldn't ask for him to take the blow, as an iPod is not worth losing friends over and ultimately he was just trying to help. Nor would I have needed to ask, as if he knows he was neglectful in some way then I'm sure the offer would be made anyway.

If he's a 'mate' (one of those acquaintances who's your 'friend' when they want something, and you called in a favour or something like that) AND was quite obviously neglectful, then yeah, in that instance.

But basically, if it's just bad luck based on a useless postal service, my ipod, my problem. Doesn't seem right at all to ask them to take the hit if they were just doing a favour, even if that's some sort of legal position.
  • About 2 years ago I took out a mobile phone contract that came with a free ipod nano (at the time worth £120) which I decided to sell on ebay...
    the ipod was sold within no time, and I was happy cos i got my £120 plus P&P, which I spent pretty quickly as I had no money at the time...
    about 6 weeks later I had a series of emails from Paypal saying I had to refund the card holder as he hadnt authorised the payment and certainly didnt order an ipod.
    I traced the postage and it was signed for, but the card holder was adamant that he didnt know about any ipod and had claimed it against his credit card, which meant according to the terms of Paypal I was liable for.
    I was told the card may have been stolen (which I still dont believe)...

what everyone seems to be missing is that is WAS signed for, and I lost out to the tune of £240 (value of ipod x 2 once I'd reimbursed the credit card holder) he was better off to the same value...

good little scan if you ask me!:mad:
  • It all depends on how the item was listed. If no postal insurance or special delivery was selected (if available in the first place), then its the recipients problem for not paying extra for the postage.

I would be thinking more on the lines that the recipient is telling porky pies anyway - have seen this happen too many times...

If the item was not advertised as offering special delivery or postal insurance then the recipient (or non recipient) hasn't got a leg to stand on... The non-recipient would of had the option and could have revised the order to ask specifically for special delivery or insured post... I agree this is arguable as the seller should of sent it as special delivery and is deemed responsible for delivery of the item.

I personally would be in contact with the post office to try and get the item found or claim for it. But I stand by the fact that if insurance was offered and the buyer chose to not take it then its the buyers fault and problem...

People should be careful when ordering off ebay. Don't buy items over £36 unless you are getting special/insured delivery.
  • I made the mistake of agreeing to list a friends item on ebay last year - never again.

It was a designer jacket that he told me was brand new and unworn, it looked ok to me and had tags. It sold for nearly £200, but when the buyer received it, I got quite an abusive telephone call as they claimed it was damaged. It was returned for a full refund (but I still had the fees to pay) and there was a small amount of wear on one sleeve which he swore was not there to start with..

Luckily I hadn't withdrawn the money so I told my friend he owed me the £10 in fees & postage.

I did relist for him (naively) but stated the damage. This time it was returned as the buyer claimed it was a fake (my mate refuted this but hey-ho) I nearly got my ebay account suspended over it...

My 'mate' ended up owing me over £20 which I got a few months later.

My naivety didn't help the situation I know but my advice - DON'T SELL STUFF FOR ANYONE ON EBAY lol - if its yours you know the score, anyone elses and its too much of a trust thing, and I'd never do it again, tell them it's really easy to open an ebay account and help them do it for themselves!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure