Polite bank staff?

Options

Comments

• prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    People who tell you to use the machines are voting to lose their jobs...
  • JuicyJesus
    Options
    prowla wrote: »

a) They're told to and so have to do so or they will lose their jobs.

b) Counters will always exist for people who actually need them.

c) It's stupid, if you're responsible for managing a queue, to not try to shorten that queue by taking people out of it who can be serviced faster than by other means.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The central problem with all retail banking is that nobody wants to pay for it. We expect our bank accounts to be free to hold and operate. We expect there to be a wide network of ATMs that are free to use. We expect our banks to have a wide network of branches with plenty of staff on hand.

Many of the "traditional" routes that retail banks used to make money (fees, charges, etc) have already been closed down, and more are under pressure (credit card interest). Also, high-street banks no longer have a monopoly on credit and lending.

These changes have all been good for us (the customer) but they will come with a cost. Bank branches are expensive to operate an somebody has to pay for them. You can't drastically cut into an organisations profits and expect it to maintain the same level of service.
  • Dymphna60
    Options
    Gosh aren’t a lot of you rude ?
    Is it because you do everything online and have forgotten or never learned how to speak to someone who is not your mate ?
    Re Halifax I have recently had to contact a number of banks due to bereavement. Found 2 Branches of Halifax awful.nice uniforms big corporate smiles no knowledge but unwilling to admit it .
    A very 21 st century thing can’t say I don’t know .
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you're displeased with the service the Halifax give, just change banks.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

It doesn't necessarily follow. If a business can't keep its overheads to a minimum, all the staff might lose their jobs.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Dymphna60
    Options
    Not my bank . When someone dies their personal representative, in this case me , has to contact all banks where they held accounts to put a stop on the accounts and other matters . Not a job you ever want but when you have to do it you want effiency not an argument.
  • pinkdalek
    pinkdalek Posts: 1,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Maybe they do it so they don't have to deal with idiots like you?:rotfl:
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Dymphna60 wrote: »
    Not my bank . When someone dies their personal representative, in this case me , has to contact all banks where they held accounts to put a stop on the accounts and other matters . Not a job you ever want but when you have to do it you want effiency not an argument.

In my case I had lots to do
    I write off to the central bereavement centres (search online for the address) with a death certificate original and as much info as I had in a clear concise letter giving the details of the deceased and requesting the full details of any account held in the entire financial group, the balance at date of death and the amount of income earned from the 6 April to the date of death. This enables me to produce an estate account for IHT/probate plus do a final income tax return.
    I got an equally clear letter back in all cases - I would not dream of wasting my time, car parking and travel, queue etc going to a bank branch for this sort of thing.
  • Dymphna60
    Options
    Hopefully your advice will help others .
    What’s done is done for me . Probate granted .
    I think what the best thing to do is slightly beside the point of what I said .they are the professional who should know their job or say they don’t . Not tell me repeatedly that it is impossible to pay inheritance tax by the direct payment scheme until I was in tears and she phoned HMRC and found out that I was right . If I should have sent the forms to bereavement team just tell me that .
    Nat West took the forms sent them to their bereavement centre and sent a text message next day to say tax payment had been sent .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure