PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• angelatgraceland
    Options
    Yes I always chuck in any half jars of sauce into the slowcooker regardless of what they are to be honest! Whether its chilli,bolognese,curry-what ever it is will be added to a casserolle and topped up with some appropriate ingredients to turn it into the meal it is supposed to be! Very little in my fridge at the mo-apart from haldf a jar of bol sauce but that will keep a couple of days yet. I must take out something for tomorrows lunch at work so that I don't spend any money! DD23 told me yesterday that I must teach her how to use the slowcooker-thats good to know-the next generation learning young!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    good evening......i was glad to see gailey on iv missed your posts.....we went to ikea today.....very reasonable catering free hot drinks with a family card 99p english cooked breakfast.....45p hot dogs 50p chips 35p icecream 50p soft drinks and free refills...we filled our boots esp kids ........
    for tea we had a stew out of slow cooker..lovely i am a total convert to slow cookers
    oh and we made a small snowman and rolled in the garden making snow angels.....:T great fun take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Tracey.32
    Tracey.32 Posts: 75 Forumite
    Options
    Also did a trip to the local Aldi and found their own brand cat food was 20% cheaper than Tesco's. Bought a tin or each flavour and my cats love it. That will be a good saving in the future.

Thanks, Catwoman - can't get my little furballs to eat any own brand food, but never thought of trying them on Aldi's stuff. Will get some when current stock runs out...:D
    Grocery challenge: Jun£134.15/£120; Jul £60.90/£120
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Broken wings yes, it was a typo yesterday. Duh It is 49p for a 2pt of milk from Mr A, therefore it is 98p for 2x2pt iykwim
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • Sylvan
    Sylvan Posts: 347 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be careful angelatgraceland - my DD persuaded me to let her take the slow cooker when she left home! Mind you it was one of the original brown pottery ones from the 70s so probably wasn't as efficient as the new ones - and certainly wasn't big enough for all of us. I'm having a 6.5l one delivered tomorrow (my smilies aren't working -boohoo) DH went to Mr T's today and spent £19.67 on milk, cheese and margarine, since we ran out of all three over the long Christmas break (and a 43p bottle of own brand cola to cook my gammon, which DS5 tasted and declared "OK" as a drink, so I think he's planning to get 3 for £1 next time - can't decide whether that's good or bad)
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.
    Money talks, but chocolate SINGS

"I used to be snow white but I drifted" (A seasonal quote from the incomparable Miss West)
  • JennyBee_2
    JennyBee_2 Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    oooh..thanks for the link to the love food hate waste website...gonna go check it out :) NSD on groceries for me today....£21.50 on food hygiene course...in which I learnt something new....

You can reheat rice

As long as you cooled it and put it in the fridge within 90 minutes of cooking it originally. Sorry if that was obvious to some people, I always thought that was the one thing you couldn't reheat!
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
  • JennyBee_2
    JennyBee_2 Posts: 390 Forumite
    Options
    CurlyTop wrote: »
    Broken wings yes, it was a typo yesterday. Duh It is 49p for a 2pt of milk from Mr A, therefore it is 98p for 2x2pt iykwim

49p for 2pt of milk in MrA? The cheapest I've found it is 86p? Tell me where I'm going wrong!!!!
    Jonathan Douglas born 20th January 2009 - 9lb 4oz
    Alexander William born 30th December 2012 - 10lb 2oz
    GC June 2014 £79.04/£150
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just a quick question.

Is there a maximum spend with Asda deliveries? I have always done my online shops weekly so will be receiving my first BIG shop on Wednesday. It comes in at about £230......do you think that will be a problem?

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    redmel1621 wrote: »
    Just a quick question.

Is there a maximum spend with Asda deliveries? I have always done my online shops weekly so will be receiving my first BIG shop on Wednesday. It comes in at about £230......do you think that will be a problem?

Mel x

Shouldn't be - I've seen a post on here in the last couple of days for a £270 asda shop.
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Sorry JennyBee

You aren't doing anything wrong, this is just something my DH came across, as I normally tend to get him to get the bread and milk from Mr A whilst I am at work, and he is becoming quite good now at spotting the odd little bargain. I'm glad he has twigged on to this one as it allows me lots of supplies for my hot milky coffees, mmmmmmmmmmmm
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure