Which is best Condenser Boiler to buy?

Options

Comments

• Ionkontrol
    Options
    I've had a Ferroli in my flat for 10 years, not a single problem.
    My dad just had a WB put it 2 years ago, now intemittent hot water.
    Other friend just had a Valliant put in 6 months ago, divertor valve gone already.

Make of that what you will.
  • heating-eng
    Options
    Ionkontrol wrote: »
    I've had a Ferroli in my flat for 10 years, not a single problem.
    My dad just had a WB put it 2 years ago, now intemittent hot water.
    Other friend just had a Valliant put in 6 months ago, divertor valve gone already.

Make of that what you will.

boilers are only as good as the person that installs them
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    edited 1 April 2010 at 12:17AM
    Options
    i have a biasi boiler in one of my houses , had it 10 years and it has never failed , it was installed correctly and flushed very well when installed
  • slushy170
    Options
    shellyc wrote: »
    I am about to replace a Potterton which has lasted 18 years, so not bad going!

Were just about to replace our potterton flamingo .... Its now 33 years old. Personally i thik we have been lucky with it :-)
  • capcave
    Options
    I bought a Viessmann Vitodens 300 (with pressuried tank and solar panels) 5 years ago due to it's reputation as the Rolls Royce of boilers. Got installed by the installer recommended by Viessmann. Have to say it a been the biggest pile of * I have owned. Hardly a day goes by without it causing a problem. Viessmann support have been useless - company blaming the installer they recommended and the installer blaming the company. I have two other houses with Worcester Bosch boilers - 4 years each and never even misfired.

3500 quid boiler, lots of grief, 1000 quid boiler, no grief - I know where I am going next time.

Viessmann - avoid like the plague.
  • Canucklehead
    Options
    capcave wrote: »
    I bought a Viessmann Vitodens 300 (with pressuried tank and solar panels) 5 years ago due to it's reputation as the Rolls Royce of boilers. Got installed by the installer recommended by Viessmann. Have to say it a been the biggest pile of * I have owned. Hardly a day goes by without it causing a problem. Viessmann support have been useless - company blaming the installer they recommended and the installer blaming the company. I have two other houses with Worcester Bosch boilers - 4 years each and never even misfired.

3500 quid boiler, lots of grief, 1000 quid boiler, no grief - I know where I am going next time.

Viessmann - avoid like the plague.

Hi
    So the Worcesters have solar panels as well ?
    If not then not really a like for like comparison is it. Any poorly installed boiler will let you down.
    Viessmann are a good boiler fitted properly.

GSR.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • Sue93
    Sue93 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    slushy170 wrote: »
    Were just about to replace our potterton flamingo .... Its now 33 years old. Personally i thik we have been lucky with it :-)

Perhaps not. Our Potterton is 21 years old, rarely any problems - usually the pump blocked in a hard water area. The fan just went but luckily the BG contract just paid for itself with a Sunday morning visit and fix. We are always told, when they do the service, how reliable they are.
  • JudyBro
    Options
    I'm really glad to have 'happened upon' this forum. We had a Glowworm Combi Condensing boiler installed when we refitted our kitchen 5 years ago. It was very reliable and extremely efficient until last winter when it needed a new heat exchanger (mentioned in previous comments) at a cost of over £250 - for information, heat exchangers are not covered by BG's service agreements, so be warned! Less than 12 months later we started having the same problems again and we are now at the point when the boiler is very unreliable (took over 2 hours to get it working this morning). Do we get another heat exchanger, or fork out for a new boiler? The guy who fitted our last heat exchanger told us that the system couldn't be 'flushed out' because the pipes can't be accessed. Any advise would be appreciated.
  • heating-eng
    heating-eng Posts: 723 Forumite
    Options
    JudyBro wrote: »
    I'm really glad to have 'happened upon' this forum. We had a Glowworm Combi Condensing boiler installed when we refitted our kitchen 5 years ago. It was very reliable and extremely efficient until last winter when it needed a new heat exchanger (mentioned in previous comments) at a cost of over £250 - for information, heat exchangers are not covered by BG's service agreements, so be warned! Less than 12 months later we started having the same problems again and we are now at the point when the boiler is very unreliable (took over 2 hours to get it working this morning). Do we get another heat exchanger, or fork out for a new boiler? The guy who fitted our last heat exchanger told us that the system couldn't be 'flushed out' because the pipes can't be accessed. Any advise would be appreciated.

the heat exchanger is covered on homecare. don't know why they have charge you but they shouldnt have
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Options
    If no access to pipes, a radiator can be disconnected and the flushing machine connected to the pipes there.

Not the best way to do it, but it will work.

Often with a combi, you don't even need to use a flushing machine to give a good flush. Just someone who knows what he is doing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure