"Complete Savings" scheme

Options

Comments

• Surfer
    Surfer Posts: 361 Forumite
    Options
    Amazing the number of new posters that think the company is marvellous. I almost got caught out, but the moment I saw they wanted my bank details I declined.
    If they are paying you by cheque, why do they need your bank or card details as this is what it makes it smell like a scam?
  • stemcgoo
    stemcgoo Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Midrash7 wrote: »
    I find it sad that that both Mrs bartolozzi & Co-opdivi have made these unfounded remarks - basically caling Stemcgoo a liar & a shill. Havent you read the MS code of etuquette - 'be nice to each other'? I CAN BACK UP stemcgoo. I joined Complete Savings recently via ebay & new perfectly well what I was signing up to. Yes, in former times they my well have been deceiving customers, but not in my experience. I received a 20 pound cheque yesterday, 15 days after joining having bought an item from a private buyer for 2 pound 60p; Customer Service was excellent. I now have chance to get another 10 pound check for this month. I could cancel today & I would already be 20 pounds up. By the way, I havent a clue who this company is, and just found these results before deciding if I should cancel my DD. Lastly lests stop ganging up on Stemcgoo or anyone else for that matter. We are all entitled to give our input without being slagged off

Hey Mid, thank you for backing me up, I knew I couldnt be the only one making good value of the SDR savings scheme.

As you say you are quite new I would recommend you stick with it and make use of the 20% off vouchers. You can buy £100 of high street vouchers each month - these only cost you £80. (Just be sure to re-enter the shipping address as I sometimes get my vouchers late if I tick the "same as billing address" because they for some unknown reason then don't print my street name....???)
  • stemcgoo
    Options
    Surfer wrote: »
    Amazing the number of new posters that think the company is marvellous. I almost got caught out, but the moment I saw they wanted my bank details I declined.
    If they are paying you by cheque, why do they need your bank or card details as this is what it makes it smell like a scam?

Hi Surfer, maybe the topic of people actually posting in defence of SDR has just started recently - I certainly did it after I read the numbers of people who only had bad things to say.
  • Chomeur
    Chomeur Posts: 2,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    emailed a copy of my Argos receipt to them on 31st March for the promised £15 cheque. No cheque received and no response to my chaser emails. Can't believe that Argos sign up with such a load of jokers.
  • stemcgoo
    Options
    Chomeur wrote: »
    emailed a copy of my Argos receipt to them on 31st March for the promised £15 cheque. No cheque received and no response to my chaser emails. Can't believe that Argos sign up with such a load of jokers.

I never have a problem with my cheques, but sometimes they do take a little longer, so this week I have my March bonus and April bonus within days. The March one I submitted in mid March was late because they hadnt received it in the right department so when I gave them a call to chase it up they followed up on it and processed. It is an 0800 number on their website to follow up if you think it's been missed or too long.
  • alan2_2
    alan2_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 21 May 2012 at 6:34PM
    Options
    I discovered about complete savings because when I bought a train ticket on First Great Western's website, there was an introductory offer with a month's free membership. They then gave a £15 cashback when buying the next train ticket from FGW, not including the initial purchase used to qualify for the free membership. They also give a regular monthly offer of £10 cashback with train ticket purchases from FGW. The monthly cashback allowance is based on calendar months, and my free month's membership started mid-month so straddled two calendar months. This meant that during the free membership period I got a total of £35 cashback from them on 3 further train ticket purchases (2 of which were in different calendar months). To get this, all I had to do was forward them copies of the confirmation emails from FGW, and they in fact sent the cheques within a week even though they say to allow rather longer. It didn't seem to matter that one of the ticket purchases was for two cheaper tickets totalling £10, or that another one was for travel in a few months' time: both of these qualified for cashback.

If I could be really sure that I would make a £10+ train ticket order every month via FGW (which can of course be for any train company), then it would be a no-brainer to stay subscribed, because I would always recover the membership fee in that cashback offer alone and then I would have other benefits such as the discount at Argos. (Note: I haven't tried to use any benefits other than the FGW cashback itself.) However, I wasn't sure of this, so I decided to cancel just now, just before the end of the free month. There was an 0800 number to phone, which they answered promptly. They cancelled it without fuss, and have told me on the phone that I won't be charged because I cancelled during the free month. They also said that despite my cancelling I will still qualify for benefits for a further month (but after that I will be barred from rejoining for the next 6 months). It's not clear to me whether the benefits I'm still entitled to for another month will include the FGW cashback, but if I do buy another train ticket during early June then I'll try to apply for yet another £10 cashback as there is nothing to lose.

It seems to me that if you take good advantage of the offers then they are a good deal. However, I imagine that they must make a lot of money from people who sign up and then don't get round to using it properly, which is why I cancelled before the same happens to me.
  • alan2_2
    alan2_2 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    P.S. I signed up with them using a secondary email address that I don't use very much, because I didn't entirely trust them not to spam me. However, looking at that inbox there is no evidence that they did in fact spam me at all, so my fears were unfounded. By signing up under a different email address, there could have been a complication that it was different from the one used on my train ticket purchases (which was my more normal email address). But in fact it didn't matter because complete savings only insist that you email them from the address that you used to sign up with them. So I just forwarded FGW's confirmation emails between my two email addresses in order to do this, and it was fine. If I'd known they weren't going to spam me, I'd just have signed up with my main email address and kept things simple.
  • buffalobill1209
    Options
    I just bought from Argos and the link to the saving scheme came up showing that to benefit you have 30 days free grace and a monthly fee of £10 afterwards. So I can't say it is missleading or hidden. The saving voucher has been increased to £15 now. As long as you are buying stuff regularly you should save.
    :j
  • pippinlu
    Options
    PLEASE BE AWARE.I SIGNED UP FOR THE £15 refund.Only when i checked my bank statement did i notice i was being charged £10 plus £1.25 per month so please be careful as i read things carefully but didn't know there was this charge.Have contacted my bank and the company to cancel the monthly payment.Be very careful what you are signing up for.:eek:
  • stemcgoo
    Options
    pippinlu wrote: »
    PLEASE BE AWARE.I SIGNED UP FOR THE £15 refund.Only when i checked my bank statement did i notice i was being charged £10 plus £1.25 per month so please be careful as i read things carefully but didn't know there was this charge.Have contacted my bank and the company to cancel the monthly payment.Be very careful what you are signing up for.:eek:

Lol its already been established that the fees SDR charge ate not hidden or misleading, but I wonder, is COMPLETE SAVINGS a different company entirely? Are they being misleading as this last poster indicates? or do people still enter their card details when they sign up for these offers without;
    A. Reading why......
    B. Or just bleat about it after and blame someone elese when they've forgotten
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure