bill increase

Options
Hi everyone just got a letter from Virgin saying that my phone/broadband is going up by £3 as of next month.
I only arranged a new deal with them in May, can this do this?

Also if I swtich to another provider do I have to change my landline phone number as I don't want to?

I have tried the Martin Lewis trick of saying that if you don't reduce the increase I'll go to another provider but it doesn't work for me as they said fine you can leave, any advice ?

best

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    malka wrote: »
    Hi everyone just got a letter from Virgin saying that my phone/broadband is going up by £3 as of next month.
    Yes they can do this.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <<I only arranged a new deal with them in May, can this do this?>>
    Yes thats what you agreed to .See multiple identical posts .

<<< I'll go to another provider but it doesn't work for me as they said fine you can leave, any advice ? >>

Choice one if you are out of contract or subject to leave penalty free give the required notice .
    Moving may lose number unless you are careful .
  • VirginedOut
    Options

Also if I swtich to another provider do I have to change my landline phone number as I don't want to?

I have tried the Martin Lewis trick of saying that if you don't reduce the increase I'll go to another provider but it doesn't work for me as they said fine you can leave, any advice ?

best

Simply saying you are going to leave if they increase your price will not stop your price increase initially, the out bounds team might ring you after you cancelled and offer you a better deal, but before than do some research on better offers and provide them to Virgin retention, that way they will take you more seriously.

Hyperoptic for example for new customers are offering 150mb fibre broadband ( same upload/download speed) for only £26 pm their 30 mb fibre broadband is only £18 pm, quote these prices to Virgin and see what they say.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Simply saying you are going to leave if they increase your price will not stop your price increase initially, the out bounds team might ring you after you cancelled and offer you a better deal, but before than do some research on better offers and provide them to Virgin retention, that way they will take you more seriously.

Hyperoptic for example for new customers are offering 150mb fibre broadband ( same upload/download speed) for only £26 pm their 30 mb fibre broadband is only £18 pm, quote these prices to Virgin and see what they say.

Yes, this may work if you have Hyperoptic available at your location (which is a very limited area of the UK). VM will know whether Hyperoptic is available.
  • malka
    malka Posts: 25 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks everyone really helpful.

One thing still unclear am I right in thinking that I'll lose my landline number if I change provider?

Also am curious whats the most popular broadband provider out there ? (am not looking to get TV from my provider ..... just the basics )
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 October 2018 at 11:12AM
    Options
    If VM have put the price up, you have the right to reject the increase and move to another provider penalty free, you can take your number with you, but obviously the new provider you chose would have to arrange that ( and some are pretty useless at number porting, or would prefer not to do it, so lie to you and say it's not possible)
    As with most things, there may be a deal , if you call VM and tell them you are unhappy with the price going up, and are going move to someone else, they may offer to do something on price, you may have to start the process of leaving VM to get them to make an offer, they don't have to though, if you find a cheaper deal you could say 'I can get phone/broadband for £** with company X, will you match that price ( it costs nothing to ask)
    If you do move to another supplier , then whoever that is, will not be using VM's network, so you will need a new 'line' either installing or an existing but dormant line brought back into service, and may need to factor that in if it costs £ to get a non VM line installed
  • malka
    malka Posts: 25 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts