From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Had a busy week at work. Having the menu planned out and shared with the children helped as it felt like we were more organised this week.

I had a day off on a Friday which was lovely. I went to a local NT property and enjoyed wandering around looking at all the Spring flowers. My lovely mum treated me to lunch which was delicious. I was interested in the salad we had. They served salad leaves with long shavings of courgette added. Never thought of doing that! Must get some salad leaves sown!

Also got to the beach on Friday evening with the children. We went for half an hour before sunset and had the whole beach to ourselves. Bliss! The whole day off really helped. I try to keep focussed on keeping spending down and paying debts down but can get very worried about it all. I find getting outside and walking across a beach or around a garden is very calming (as well as free!) and helps me to feel focussed about the debt reduction without the panic.

Yesterday got taken up with household jobs. Spent the afternoon pricking out lettuce seedlings. Sowed some more calendulas of a different variety and potted on some parsley seedlings that have overwintered. Also sowed some Rudbeckia and annual chrysanthemums. They are good for colour and hardiness. Need to get more lettuce sown and some beetroot in the coming week. The toddler really enjoys pottering around outside as I'm gardening. It's lovely to see him enjoying life!

My oldest DD is 18 at the end of this month so am wracking my brains to think of a frugal way to celebrate. DD2 and I went to a Woolworths like shop and bought some 18 balloons and a banner. We also bought an A3,sized frame so that we could make a photo montage of her 18 years and frame it to give to her on her birthday. I have a present idea, so just the celebration side to carefully think through.:think:
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Had a few spendy days recently :(:(. Went to the accomodation open day with DD1. I'm glad we went as I hadn't been able to take her to her interview there so I was glad to see the place. I got to ask about up front costs which has been worrying me, ever since a colleague mentioned that her child had had to pay quite a large amount in advance of moving to student accomodation. Thankfully the worst case scenario is a £300 deposit by mid Sept, which she would get back in a slight reduction in the Spring term's rent. At least this now gives me a figure to aim for. Coupled with knowing that she will need to take basic kitchen equipment with her I am aiming to save £500 by mid Sept so that I can cover her deposit and alllow £200 for any initial food expenses or essentials.

DD2 looks to have settled on a further Ed course so I know from her open day that initial costs for her will be £200 on tools and £200 for transport costs for the first term. The transport cost will need to be paid by mid August so gives me some time. Perhaps sounds silly but I want to plan for these costs and not be left jiggling my budget round and struggling to pay bills by Sept.

Work has been very busy so I have failed on the food front. I have spent more than I wanted to as working longer hours last week meant less time. I did start the week cooking from scratch but found it was taking me til 7.30 to get a meal on the table. By the time extra hours were factored in, I did go for the quickest option for the end of the week.:( Have been better this week so far...
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello Honeysuckle,

I've just read your diary 'cover to cover' and am so enjoying all your planting. I love plants but the family moan about seedlings on window sill and have so far refused to get me a greenhouse so this year I am in the rather sad situation of no trays of seedlings whatsoever. However, the year is still in its early stages so there's plenty I can do in the garden to lay a basis for next year. Meanwhile I'll pop in and enjoy your flowers!

My kids are also mostly at the degree stage. I did go to visit the children who were studying away and I loved it. DD made great friends and later went travelling with one of them - and she funded it all herself from working while she studied, so there is hope for your daughter to be able to contribute to costs. Now one has finished and the others commute to study so I'm out of the loop when it comes to accommodation.

There are so many costs for parents in our supposedly-free education system... planning ahead is wise. I found that once DD had started at Uni, she understood the system better than I did and was able to help the others apply for stuff they needed to apply for. Nowadays she's back home but planning on her own place and is a savvy shopper. If your daughter gets a job with staff discount it can be very helpful to the family budget - I loved the 'family member' perks from DD's Uni job! :D

Must go for now but I'll come back and see how it's all going. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Hi Cherryfudge, thanks for dropping by. I am looking forward to being able to visit DD1 when she has settled in. I do enjoy walking so made sure we picked up a OS map to plan possible walks in the area! Does time go as quickly when they do degrees as it has at secondary school?

Had a busy week, lots of trips out with children which makes me feel tired...just the head counting and making sure you have everyone where they should be! The weather looks nice here so am hoping to be able to get outside and be busy sorting out seedlings.

Got a couple of bills to pay today. Really cross with myself that I knew the refund going back to the CC was more than the required minimum payment so didn't worry about extra payments. Have now got myself another default fee so have paid what the statement said but cross with me self at having made a foolish mistake. I did have a slim pocket diary which I think k I may utilise to mark down payment dates and to reord any overpayments. The debts that are D/D paid are fine as is the one I pay by internet as it's always got the same date. The cc statement always has different dates which can fluctuate by 6 days. Have been caught out by that before.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Had a busy day today. Made the most of the beautiful Spring weather and got a couple of loads of washing dried on the line. Spent a couple of hours pottering around in the garden. I sowed Beetroot, 2 types of lettuce (Navara, a red leaved variety and Little Gem), 2nd sow of Cornflowers, Tomatoes, Scabious and a type of Sunflower called "Vanilla Ice". The sunflower is beautiful. I grew it last year for the first time. It's not a sunflower that grows 6 feet tall but a smaller multi branching type that bears lots of flowers so that at first glance it looks like a sunflower bush. I inspected the seedlings sown a couple of weeks ago and the sweet peas have germinated and are growing steadily. The first sow of lettuce that I pricked out has been partly demolished by a snail or slug:mad: So frustrating. The same thing has happened with the cornflowers. The seed leaves have been well and truly munched. I have one of those small 4 tier mini greenhouses with the plastic cover which works well for keeping plants sheltered but the frame does give hiding opportunities for snails and slugs.

Have also pricked out the Nigella seedlings (Love in a mist) and hope they will survive. Sowed some Bells of Ireland today too. I've had the seeds in the freezer for a week or so, so now sown. The flowers are an amazing green colour, quite unusual. Did a bit of recycling today in reusing some old trellis from the garden to create a frame for a plant to climb. Last year I bought this tiny Jasmine plant. It has pale pink flowers rather than white and did well in its first year to grow long wiry stems but they need training. I repotted it into a larger pot and put the trellis behind. Will tie in tomorrow.

Made a menu plan with DD2 and went shopping strictly for menu ingredients and fruit, butter and milk etc.

DD1 is 18 in the coming week. I bought her a present. Someone locally runs a jewellery business, making her own designs so have got her a silver pendant and chain. It does look beautiful. Still struggling with how to celebrate on a budget. DD2 has offered to help me make a cake. DD1 loves red velvet cake so am hoping to be able to do a cake. I used to love making birthday cakes for them when they were little. I did a ladybird for her third birthday which looked quite good. Had more time then...! We'll see what we can do. DD1 is keen to see the Beauty and the Beast film so have suggested that we all go to see that and have a meal together afterwards.

Have paid the water bill today and hoping to have NSDs this week, other than DD1's birthday.
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Hi Cherryfudge, thanks for dropping by. I am looking forward to being able to visit DD1 when she has settled in. I do enjoy walking so made sure we picked up a OS map to plan possible walks in the area! Does time go as quickly when they do degrees as it has at secondary school?

Amazingly, it goes even quicker. :( I can hardly believe DD graduated a year and a half ago and has since been travelling as she'd wanted to do for ages. Such major milestones, and they are now behind us.

I looked up the Vanilla Ice sunflower. What a lovely colour! I always forget to plant sunflowers. I wonder if I could still put some in for this year?

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    DD1 is 18 in the coming week. I bought her a present. Someone locally runs a jewellery business, making her own designs so have got her a silver pendant and chain. It does look beautiful. Still struggling with how to celebrate on a budget. DD2 has offered to help me make a cake. DD1 loves red velvet cake so am hoping to be able to do a cake. I used to love making birthday cakes for them when they were little. I did a ladybird for her third birthday which looked quite good. Had more time then...! We'll see what we can do. DD1 is keen to see the Beauty and the Beast film so have suggested that we all go to see that and have a meal together afterwards.

That sounds like a beautiful birthday. Everyone seems to love Beauty and the Beast so pair that with her favourite cake and she will have lovely memories every time she sees either for years to come! (I still think of my 18th when I have Black Forest Gateau - and that some years ago, lol).

• Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Cherryfudge. Feel more positive today about making the cake. DD1 is visiting my parents on Tuesday night so DD2, DD3 and I can finish off the photo montage.

You'll be fine to get the sunflowers started now. The light levels are increased and it's getting warmer. I put mine in a plastic greenhouse rather than the heated propogator as it should be warm enough to germinate in there. Just got to watch out for the slugs! Vanilla Ice is a lovely variety.

Had such a lovely day today. My parents visited bearing pasties so that neither me or my mum had to cook:). We took a stroll along the beach at 4 ish. It was beautiful and quite sheltered and warm...a really relaxing Mother's Day. The toddler ran around so much he wore himself out and the other children enjoyed throwing the ball for the dog.

Got a busy week ahead at work. Menu plan is sorted though for this week so that we all know what's coming up and hopefully the older ones can help prep a bit with me in the kitchen.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have spent time tonight (or rather this morning) updating transactions on my spending tracker app. I do find it so useful to see clearly in visual form where the money is going. This month a whopping £760 in nursery fees. A little more hefty than usual as it has been a 5 week month if you see what I mean. Food spending has crept up again:mad: which is so frustrating. Fuel was slightly higher but did include a trip to the accomodation open day so was expected and planned. Plenty of scope for improvement I feel. I do find if work gets busier than usual, that's when I'm slipping on the food front which is having a knock on effect on the figures.

The 18th birthday has gone well. DD1 liked the silver necklace :). Spent last night making the Red Velvet cake. Never made one before so found a recipe on Good Housekeeping website and made that. The icing mix made a huge amount of icing , half of which is still in the fridge so might end up making red velvet cupcakes to use up the icing. Found some red hundreds and thousands like things so sprinkled those over to make an 18. It looked OK...homemade and basic but at least a cake and she was happy with it which is the main thing. DD2 finished the photo montage and framed it and it looks great. She hasn't given it to DD1 yet until we've had her birthday meal tomorrow night. Tomorrow will be spendy with the meal but intend to have plenty of NSDs after that.

Two weeks away from work so hoping to get plenty of gardening in. Also want to get some bits and pieces round the house done. My bedroom is in desperate need of painting. I have a couple of tester pots that have been waiting to be applied since December so will try and get the walls cleaned down on the next couple of days to allow for painting it next week. Was never allowed to get involved with the painting before but I actually do like it so am looking forward to making the house look fresher.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just read your diary and you seem to be doing well both on your budgeting and reducing the debt. Putting the figures in your signature so you can see them coming down is sometimes a good incentive.

Love hearing about your planting. I love gardening too but am recovering from bad cough virus so not done much lately. The university years will soon go. Both my DDs went, one about 200 miles away and the other about 350 miles. One also did a PhD although she worked at a university while doing that. Can hardly believe they are 29 and 31 now and one is married with a baby. These years go so quickly.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback