From debt to freedom...

Options

Comments

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi Enthusiasticsaver, thanks for dropping by :). That's a good idea about putting the figures in my signature...will try and get that done.

Had a lovely evening yesterday. We went out for a celebratory meal for DD1's 18th birthday. We went to a place that is right on the cliff top so we could see the sunset over the sea as we were eating our meal. DD1 really enjoyed the evening which is the main thing. We came back home for coffeea and red velvet cupcakes but I think everyone was so full from the meal we have lots of cupcakes left over for today!

Checked on the plants yesterday to find that the slug or snail has been munching all week. I have about half of my sweet pea seedlings left and 1 lettuce:mad: so frustrating. Interestingly the seed trays I put onto a frame that doesn't have its plastic cover have fared much better. Now that the light levels and temperatures have increased it might be worth using that more to save seedlings being munched. The nigella seedlings are untouched and growing well. The tomatoes sown last week have germinated :) . I did plant some tulip bulbs about December time which are now up and about to flower. Planted one variety about 7 years ago called Blackcurrant ripple which have been brilliant, coming back year after year. Love this time of year when everything comes to life again.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Everything is shooting up now the temperature has gone up. My garden is awash with daffodils and tulips. I love Spring.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    You're right Enthusiaticsaver! Just writing out the starting figure of the loan in 2012 and the figure now is truly motivating. Payment due to come out tomorrow which should knock that balance under £1,500. Be so glad when that is paid off.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Excellent! £17k down to less than £1.5k will inspire you to get that debt gone. Doing the challenges for savings like emergency fund is also good. Hope the slugs and snails have kept off your plants last night. It tipped down here and the rain always brings the little blighters out.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Had such a lovely day yesterday. The sun shone so got two lots of washing out to dry. After lunch the DDs and the toddler and I headed for the beach. It was a very low tide so we were able to walk round to the next bay and back again. It was stunning and so relaxing to sit on the sand for a rest and just listen to the waves. Bliss! Came back feeling so refreshed and ready to tackle the jobs that need doing this week.

Loan payment went out this morning, so might ring for the balance to be as accurate as possible. Off to get some more compost so that I can !!!!! out the jungle of snapdragons! I have a greenhouse at the allotment that needs a little repair and a good clean. Hoping that if I can get that done today I might be able to get plants in there and save them from the greedy slug! Read replant for the !!!!!. Horticultural terms have been automatically edited!
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    LOL about the horticultural terms - I did work them out :D.

The beach sounds idyllic. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    The weather held yesterday for another 3 loads of washing to be dried outside. I did go and her some compost but ran out of time and light to get started so that's today's first job. I did go into work yesterday and got some paperwork done. Sometimes it's easier to go in and complete when it's empty and quiet than it is to try and do it at home when my children are needing things/ help etc.

Thought I'd try and give eBay a go again. Put on 4 listings so we'll see how they go.
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Had such a lovely day yesterday (Tues). Went to a local glass shop and got a couple of panes of horticultural glass and fitted them myself so I now have a complete functional greenhouse at the allotment :j:j. Spent time sweeping out the debris from last year and got some seed trays moved to save them from the munching molluscs at home!

Popped into local farmers shop and found they had a seed offer, so got some cauliflower seed, tomato, Swiss chard, sunflower, courgette and lollo Rosso lettuce seeds. Only had to pay for 4 packets as 2 were free under the offer. Got busy at home and have sowed all except the sunflowers and lettuce. The sunflowers are a red colour which I thought would contrast nicely with the "Vanilla ice", sown a week or so ago.

Despite a damp start, the sun has shone this afternoon which has allowed another couple of loads of washing to dry. Sounds silly to be thankful for something so simple but trying to dry huge amounts of washing on just an airer over winter has been tricky. Being able to get washing dried is such a blessing!
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Well done on the glass - what a huge saving over replacing the greenhouse! I'm wondering if one day I will be able to rescue the little greenhouse at Mum's, but TBH it's unlikely as it's very battered and would probably disintegrate if moved.

I've just bought a cheap packet of sunflower seeds called 'Evening Sun' which are red/orange/yellow so it will be interesting to see what the results are. I bought some similarly-coloured dwarf rudbeckia to put near them - but there's a lot of weeding and soil preparation to do before they can go in.

I love having washing on the line, too. It makes me feel I've achieved something!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    There are such a choice of colours of sunflower plants now. Sounds a nice mix of colours, Cherryfudge.

Spent the last couple of days catching up on washing and getting it dried. When I'm at work I 'm limited in what I can get done at home, so it's been good to catch up. Got more seeds sown and some plants potted on. Spent last night digging over one of the raised beds to get it weed free so that I can start planting out soon. Those nettles have long roots, it was quite a workout!

Looked at the loan figures and checked how much of the loan was repaid over the last 2 months to try and work out how much of the monthly payment is interest and how much is capital repayment. If I've worked it out correctly, the payment that went out on Monday should have brought the balance down to £1374. Am going to ring and check today.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family