£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    It's 75p per roll, but they are longer rolls - the relevant calculation is the price per 100 sheets (can you tell I've spent too long researching this?). The brands we buy (proper brands when on offer or 'nicer' supermarket version rather than standard, as explained in possibly too much depth) vary from 16p to 20p per 100 sheets, and the WGAC is 18.8p per 100 sheets, so bang in the middle. And hopefully will be sufficiently good quality compared to other recycled toilet roll that we will only use as much as of the 'nice' toilet roll we currently use. But as you point out, each solution has its benefits - we can all only make the choice that seems best for us. <ponders velvet toilet roll>

I love the sound of the way you manage your stores Suffolk Lass, that's kind of where I want to get to. At the minute we have three shower gels purely because I didn't realise we already had one, twice. So better management of what we do have is definitely part of it too! I don't even use shower gel, that's just for DH.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Ooh, another little bit of (possibly) good news today. DH might be getting a 3% pay rise (just waiting for confirmation, but reading the t's and c's of those getting it in the company-wide email, there seems no reason he shouldn't). Not much, but another few quid a month makes a difference. And it's backdated to Jan, so maybe a whole £30 extra this month ;) . Fingers crossed it gets confirmed soon.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 9:44PM
    Options
    It's 75p per roll, but they are longer rolls - the relevant calculation is the price per 100 sheets (can you tell I've spent too long researching this?). The brands we buy (proper brands when on offer or 'nicer' supermarket version rather than standard, as explained in possibly too much depth) vary from 16p to 20p per 100 sheets, and the WGAC is 18.8p per 100 sheets, so bang in the middle. And hopefully will be sufficiently good quality compared to other recycled toilet roll that we will only use as much as of the 'nice' toilet roll we currently use. But as you point out, each solution has its benefits - we can all only make the choice that seems best for us. <ponders velvet toilet roll>

I love the sound of the way you manage your stores Suffolk Lass, that's kind of where I want to get to. At the minute we have three shower gels purely because I didn't realise we already had one, twice. So better management of what we do have is definitely part of it too! I don't even use shower gel, that's just for DH.

Aha! I see. Yes just checked what I have at the moment and it is a 9 pack of 160 sheet rolls of Morries even softer (quilted, premium brand) that I bought when it was on offer 2 pack for £5.50 so 19p per hundred sheets. All FSC fully biodegradable, and recyclable plastic cover and cardboard tubes.

Re stores, I have not paid full price for any of those commodities for years. It took about six months to get it going so don't expect instant results.

One thing that you might think of doing is the second purse system. You put your stores budget in your purse and use that to buy them when they are on offer. When you take one from your stores to start using, you "pay" your stores purse full price from your normal grocery budget, pay back your stores purse and put the "profit" in your second purse. You can use this for whatever you like, but lots of people reinvest it in things they need, want or covet, while others save for holidays, Christmas or luxury purchases (one bought her artisan mixer after several years saving!)

You just have to be careful about hoarding and make sure it is stuff you will use. I did a month using everything up a few years ago and was left with a tin of condensed milk on the windowsill for several months before I threw it away (it was my unnecessary purchase "guilt-trip" reminder) [STRIKE]- like your washing up bowl[/STRIKE]
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Just thought I would say hi,I joined the site back in January and I’m just starting my journey to be debt free,I saw your diary and thought I would give it a read and wow it’s really inspiring how you cope with life’s ups and downs,I’m currently on page 35 but just thought I would pop in and say hi and well done so far,reading your diary is saving me money on books and magazines too so you are indirectly helping me not to spend anything:rotfl:
    I’m subscribing :)
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • nonnie44
    nonnie44 Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Creeps in.....just to mention Nicky toilet roll, I buy an 18 pack in Farmfoods for £4, (think it might have gone up to £4.50, need to check) I wouldn’t use anything else now. Here is a link to Amazon just for a description of it, it has really good reviews......creeps back into the shadows now :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nicky-Elite-Luxury-Toilet-Rolls/dp/B00FBEBWP2

Ps Love reading your diary, think your doing amazingly well xx
  • *snow*white*
    Options
    Hi there just emerging from lurkdom re wgac. We are on a zerowaste eco drive at the moment and I really thought hard about wgac.

The big deal breaker for me is it is shipped from China so there's the carbon footprint to consider. Also the posts on fb I have seen is that it takes up a lot of storage space, which may already be an issue for you, as it arrives in bulk.

I commend you on trying to make ethical shopping choices and feel your pain :rotfl:

I decided for us one of the main things was trying to buy local where possible.

Happy 1 yr MSE anniversary.

Slinks away to lurkdom
    NST#14/2
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nonnie44 wrote: »
    Creeps in.....just to mention Nicky toilet roll, I buy an 18 pack in Farmfoods for £4, (think it might have gone up to £4.50, need to check) I wouldn’t use anything else now. Here is a link to Amazon just for a description of it, it has really good reviews......creeps back into the shadows now :)

Another vote for Nicky toilet rolls. They have them in our local pound-ish shop for about a pound for 4 rolls. :)
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    nonnie44 wrote: »

How many sheets per roll? does it say on the packaging? Just looked on the link, but could not see that. Good grief, 72 rolls, reminds me of the MSE'er on grocery challenge who had basically insulated her loft with toilet rolls as she always went for the Bog-offs (pun intended :o) and had over a thousand... hence my hoarding reference. I will always remember that.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    More (hopefully) good financial news today - got a text message saying the Virgin transfer had gone through, so hopefully no more problems there. Will be good to have it on a 0%.

Interesting chat re the toilet roll (clearly my diary has it all going on. Debt busting, washing up bowls and toilet roll. What more could you want?). Having researched virgin pulp (like Nicky) vs recycled and locally produced vs slow-shipped from China, I'm happy with WGAC, but everyone has different priorities. So hard to know which is the best choice when there are so many 'this is the best option' options out there, especially when there's the additional constraint of a super tight budget. I'm excited about trying to get our household goods onto more of a level footing though, with regular savings and infrequent bulk buying to save money.

I'm really enjoying the challenge of trying to figure out how to incorporate a few of our green principles into a budget lifestyle. I'm sure that our big money savers of not going anywhere abroad on holiday, not running a tumble dryer, only running one car, having smallish wardrobes etc all contribute much more, environmentally speaking, than saving the odd tree's worth of toilet roll, but it's nice to feel we're doing our bit.

Had a much better day with the DC today, they were all much cheerier. We didn't even leave the house in the end, the weather was so utterly miserable. I think a good home-day was what we all needed though. I got on top of some cleaning, the DC built lego and played games, it was all really nice.

Dinner was surprisingly ok. I made chana dal (current favourite dal among the children, having firmly usurped tarka dal), but threw in the last of a jar of mung beans to use them up too. Was worried it would be a gross brown colour - mung beans are sludgy green, chana dal is yellow and tinned tomatoes are, obviously, red - but it came out looking moderately appetising, and everyone ate plenty. Always feels like a good nourishing meal. Threw some fresh parsley on top, bought by mistake instead of coriander, whoops! Waste not want not. Also made naans. A different recipe to my usual one and they came out like chapatis, which seemed like a bit of a waste of effort after spending so long on them. This is close to the recipe I usually use, which is much better. Loads of dal and a few naans leftover, might just have them again tomorrow night since DH is away and it's an easy dinner.

Three things to do today
    1. Pack and post orders for smaller business. Done.
    2. Arrange playdate for Friday. Done.
    3. Focus properly on the DC when I can today, rather than being half hearted, in an attempt to kill-with-kindness any nascent tantrums! Not perfect, but a lot better than yesterday, and I think it paid off.

Savings/Spends:
    - £37.68/£28 February 'rounding down' overpayment pot (moved across the rounding down pot from my business account).
    - £1,046.80/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I remember the toilet roll hoarding too suffolk lass.

Best tip on toilet roll was on an OS money saving tips thread years ago which was to always squeeze the roll out of shape before you hang it up. It makes it harder to take more sheets off and helps reduce usage that way. I have done it ever since, and it does help.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback