PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Options

Comments

• VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Bea Johnson's book is called Zero Waste Home. I have actually bought the copy the library had as they were selling it off a few months ago, a bit of a Bible - useful to have on the shelf. However, to me a lot of it is unattainable due to the fact that we don't have bulk stores really at all in the UK and just some things are too expensive. Like, we're on a budget and I can't justify paying 3x the price to have milk in glass bottles delivered. It's not that expensive in all areas, but where I live it is.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zero-Waste-Home-Ultimate-Simplifying/dp/0141981768/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1520104724&sr=1-1&keywords=bea+johnson+zero+waste+home&dpID=41ASWiuKJQL&preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Lush shampoo bars are great for us, but not everyone likes them as they do still use some chemicals like sodium laurel sulphate and parabens in some of their products. But for me, I'm more concerned about packaging/ plastic free and they do a super job on my hair. Go into store and ask them what's best for your hair type- the assistants are highly trained and have never given me bad advice. One thing you will notice is how many assistants they have - they believe in giving good advice to sell their products.

My DD works in lush. The assistants are usually very knowledgable about the products and passionate about the ethos.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    Options
    Lilith1980 wrote: »
    It's still sooo cold here, but at least the snow is melting!

I took a load of clothes, books, and costume jewellery to an Age UK cs today. The lady in the shop was so grateful. I'd put all of it on various sites for selling but nobody wanted it, which was good in a way as I got a lot out of giving it to charity weirdly enough.

I've meal-prepped the lunches for next week. It only takes about an hour and saves so much time in the mornings.

I've been watching various minimalism blogs on youtube as I'm really into decluttering at the moment. One I particularly like is the "Minimalist Ninja". She talks about a range of topics and I'm very impressed with what little possessions she has. To be honest, even though we've got rid of so much in the home it still feels cluttered to me. I feel like I want to clear everything out! Maybe I just need to tidy up! Anyone else feel like this even though they've got rid of loads of stuff?

I understand how you feel. We are a family of 4 so have to be realistic about how much stuff we do actually need, the weather in the UK dictates a lot of clothing per person for instance, and the footwear takes up so much space too. Both kids are in school so we have tons of books hanging about in their rooms but they need them so they have to stay. The list goes on and on.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    Options
    Siebrie - I like routine too but do find that when something comes along that changes it it makes me very stroppy so I am trying to be more relaxed about it, I don't want to be like my parents who couldn't break their very boring routines for anything.

Welcome Wizzbang. I'm not keen on Lush myself, I find the SA's too over the top and aggressively sales'y, plus they do use a lot of the nasty ingredients in their products. I am making it really hard for myself by wanting to be Zero Waste and natural.

Car boot full of stuff donated yesterday including a tall swivel buffet and a computer desk.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    Morning folks

I think the whole zero waste movement is very interessting, but unfortunatelly most people will not be able to do it to the same extend as for example Bea Johnson or Lauren Singer (she is Trash is for !!!!!! on youtube if you want to check her out) Unless you have access to a bulk store and a farmers market it isn't going to work...
    BUT... Like with everything else every little helps and we can all do our share to avoid unnecessary packaging and reduce the amount of waste we create. I often watch videos on zero waste and see things that I can do easily without too much effort but just didn't realised it would be so easy.

Sibrie, good luck on establishing some routines! Can you maybe set up a reward system? Say every time you come home to them having tidied their things away, done their homework etc. they get a star and after x stars there will be a fun activity. Depending on their age it doesn't have to be something big, but for example a movie night on Saturday, with popcorn and stuff, pretending to be in the cinema (as opposed to just plainly sit down and watch the movie) or, once the weather is better, a picnic.

Wizzbang I think people should respect when someone says "no presents" or "gift cards only" and if they really think they have to give them something to unwrap, why not make some jam or pick up a special chocolate somewhere... I have this one friend who always brings stuff for me when she is on holidays, fridge magnets and that like... I've told her many times to not bother with bringing me something but she doesn't want to hear, so it goes straight to the bin...

re Lush I am sure there are companies with less chemicals in their products, but all in all I can really recomend them. The price might seem high at first, but especially shampoo and their face soaps last much longer than any liquid product. I wash my hair (about 4 inches over my shoulder) daily and the shampoo lasts almost three months, so that is a little over 2£ a month which I think is pretty ok. I am pretty sure I paid the same or even more with the last liquid shampoo I used, plus I binned about 10 plastic bottles a year...

I decided to do some more decluttering in the next week. Sometimes I feel like decluttering but not like going through whole drawers and shelfes systematically. So I just have a look at certain spots, like my bathroom cabinet and bin stuff and make a tally and see how long it takes me to get to 50 things. Will change winter to spring decoration later on and I guess some things will be sent flying when I have a look at my decoration and candles.

So, I am off for my walk although it is still grey and dim. Once I am home I will have dinner - leek and tattie soup I bulkcooked yesterday - and then the rest of the day will be spent reading and knitting.

Have a nice Sunday everyone!
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • RicardaRacoon
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    I understand how you feel. We are a family of 4 so have to be realistic about how much stuff we do actually need, the weather in the UK dictates a lot of clothing per person for instance, and the footwear takes up so much space too. Both kids are in school so we have tons of books hanging about in their rooms but they need them so they have to stay. The list goes on and on.

I think it really depends on your circumstances how much stuff you have / need and with what amount you feel comfortable. I often long for a flat with soo much empty space, but I knit and sew and these things of course use space. I try to reduce my stash of yarn and fabric, but there will always be yarn and fabric in my flat plus all the tools needed for it. Plus I keep books I like because I like to reread them. I could maybe bin half of my books (the rest being unread ones and absolute favourites that will never leave my house) but I would miss quite a lot of them.... Having these things to use - not to collect - makes me happier than an empty space.
    So naturally I have more stuff than people who spend their free time watching telly or going to the gym or who read books on an e-reader...
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Lilith1980 wrote: »

Wizzbang - I'd be really interested to read your blog but I can't seem to click on your signature to get to it :)

You need to click my name to go into my profile and I believe the link will be in there. Signatures are just text. Sorry if I used the wrong term.

I am currently buying GF fresh baked loaves from Sainsbury's in-store bakery. They are £2.30 each and are AMAZING - taste almost like real bread, except you don't get the same level of flavour that you do from wheat, but no GF bread can replicate that. I clear the shelves every few weeks, slice them and store them in the freezer to take out as needed. Like all in-store bakery bread, they state they only keep for a day but they last much longer. They are baked in their plastic wrapping, so no cross contamination is possible. They seem to have rolled these out to most stores now, after an initial trial a few months ago.

If anyone is interested, I also have a gluten-free blog but I can only link to one in my profile. I got so sick of buying mediocre GF food in the shops, that I thought I'd share my successful recipes with others. I am a keen baker and always have been, but switching to GF can be trial and error!

https://glutenfreeness.wordpress.com

P.S. You can also ring your local Sainsbury's and ask to be put through the bakery. Then place an order for GF loaves. Otherwise they only seem to bake 4 per store, per day and it's a shame to have a wasted journey.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks so much Wizzbang, I'll check both your blogs out :D
  • Jonesy88
    Jonesy88 Posts: 959 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hello, please can I join in :wave:

I've just finished reading the thread (phew!) and have taken in some of the lovely ideas and recipes.

I'm what is termed a "millennial" and the same age as bluegreen143. I'm the product of a mum who taught me to be independent and have the career I want, as she did. I'm incredibly grateful for that, but it came at the expense of not learning how to cook from scratch (because she didn't know) or the basics of sewing, knitting etc (something my mum does do very well). I am getting there with cooking :)

My mum was part of a family who had little money as a child (late 50's). It affected her and her siblings in different ways - one has the heating up high permanently, one insists on keeping up with the Jones and my mum, well, she hoards food stuffs as if war is looming. As a result, she loves to buy me food presents weekly (I moved out nearly a decade ago), I appreciate her and her intent, but does lead to waste. If I say I don't want anything, she will just get what she thinks I would need/like.

Anyway, back to the point of the thread, I really want to live a simple life. I love things to be tidy and fairly minimalistic, i'm also really starting to wake up to the effects of plastic in our environment. I feel I'm making strides iro of the above but I have an upcoming "problem". I'm approaching a big birthday and I don't actually want anything.

What do I do and what do I say when people ask me what I would like? Several family members have already said they refuse to get vouchers etc for a major birthday, but I don't want something I won't appreciate and will end up giving away. Do any of you lovely people have any ideas or inspiration?
    :rudolf: DF by Xmas 2018: #83 £8,250/£15,000 55% :rudolf:
    SPC 7: #135 :staradmin | MFW 9.72% | Groceries: £6.49/£80 | Exercise 0/20 | NSDs 0/15
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome Jonesy!

Could you ask for "experience" vouchers and that way you can book an experience of your choice? OR choose an experience you'd like and perhaps family/friends could put money towards this for you? That way there's no chance of waste and you get to make great memories from it? :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With reference to the soap discussion from previous posts. Has anybody used Wild Olive products? I have used their bath tea bags and bath Fizzers but thinking of trying their soaps. They are not that cheap ...about £4.99 for 100g but do appear to be quite natural.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure