MSE FAULT - Links open in current tab instead of a new tab - action required

Options

Comments

• pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Here's an explanation of a security risk, to do with opening a link in a new tab, which may be the cause of the current situation:

https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/256-targetblank---the-most-underestimated-vulnerability-ever/
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    thanks matty does it interfere with other sites/settings

will give it a try
    What goes around-comes around
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I still think it needs putting back to how it was. I'm sure the so called risk is minimal and as this (not opening a new tab/window) doesn't happen on other sites, I really can't see the need for such paranoia here.
  • 100mg
    100mg Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    mattytun wrote: »
    Ok, I've downloaded an "Add-on" for Firefox called "open link in new tab" and at the moment its working ok.

Thanks for that. Works well. Right PITA before.
    As if target="_blank" is a security risk.

I've been using target="_blank" for the past 25 years to stop users deviating from my websites when they click on a link. No complaints of security breaches so far.
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If target="_blank" is such a security risk then:

1) Why do "Martin's Twitter" and "MSE's Twitter" and all the links therein on the RHS of the forum still use it a week after the change to the forum was implemented?

2) Why have MSE not trawled through the forum and changed the links in every post created before 11am 03/10 to remove it?

If you study the background on the theoretical vulnerability caused by target="_blank" then it is a massive overreaction to disable it. In security terms, if allowing members to post links on the forum is akin to walking down the middle of a motorway, then disabling target="_blank" is like only allowing you do it facing the oncoming traffic. It also appears to me that the theoretical vulnerability can be easily eliminated with a few lines of code so the usefulness of target="_blank" can be retained.
  • mattytun
    mattytun Posts: 13,920 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Xmas Saver! Savvy Shopper! Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    thanks matty does it interfere with other sites/settings

will give it a try

No it is working ok at the moment.

Ive only been using it on MSE so once i log out i just disable it;)
    Can't sleep, quit counting sheep and talk directly to the shepherd :cool:
  • Mista_C
    Mista_C Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you really must have links open in a new tab then for now you can use the old skool method of holding down CTRL while clicking the link.
  • rugmaker
    rugmaker Posts: 395 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mista_C wrote: »
    If you really must have links open in a new tab then for now you can use the old skool method of holding down CTRL while clicking the link.

There are various ways around it on a laptop or PC, but it's more dificult on a phone or tablet.

It would also have been nice for MSE to tell us about the change in advance or at least respond promptly when it was reported as a fault. If the website for a bank or rail company had handled a change like this, they would doubtless have been panned for poor customer service.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pate-ci0 wrote: »
    Here's an explanation of a security risk, to do with opening a link in a new tab, which may be the cause of the current situation:

https://www.jitbit.com/alexblog/256-targetblank---the-most-underestimated-vulnerability-ever/

Riiiight... So a malicious site could cause the previously opened MSE tab to redirect to a fake/malware/phishing site...?

Have I understood that right...?

Surely that would be due to bad coding in the web browser...? Is that right? Does it affect all browsers?
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    100mg wrote: »
    I've been using target="_blank" for the past 25 years to stop users deviating from my websites when they click on a link. No complaints of security breaches so far.

I'm no pro, I'd never heard of this issue before. Strange. It sounds like the kind of thing for which there would be a very quick/simple patch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure