Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Bras for the UK?

Options
Shortie
Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Morning

A friend mentioned that a charity shop they work for have a couple of bags of new/nearly new bras that were going to the rag man (their shop doesn't sell them)

It got me thinking about the recent(ish) news of girls in the UK who cannot afford to buy menstrual products, and then on to how expensive bras are to buy

Does anyone know of any UK based charities that work with schiols/families who could pass these out if I were able to buy them instead?

Cheers
Shortie
April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Many women turn up at shelters with nothing more than the clothes they are wearing - they might accept them.

Otherwise, try groups like the Salvation Army.
  • Shortie
    Options
    Thanks Mojisola
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,028 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We work with women who often have very little, and we accept donations of clothes - but only outerwear. Underwear (pants, socks, bras) would have to be new to be of use to us.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    The Red Box Project works with schools and groups to ensure that all girls have access to sanitary towels, (new) knickers, deodorant, etc. I don't think that they accept bras, but it might be worth enquiring.

Otherwise, Smalls for All collect 'gently worn' bras for women and girls in Africa. If you can't donate to girls in the UK, you might want to consider donating here. My local Bon Marche has a bra donation box near the changing rooms to benefit women in Africa - I'm not sure if it is Smalls for All or another charity.
  • Shortie
    Options
    Fab thank you kingfisherblue, I had no idea about The Red Box Project. I will look at Smalls for All otherwise

Thanks again x
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A local lingerie shop has a 'bra bin'. Bras donated in any condition are sorted and sent to Africa. Any parts that are unusable are sold as scrap and the money raised is returned to the shop for them to donate to a charity of their choice.
    I don't know the name of the charity which runs this scheme- sorry.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure