New Post Advanced Search

Charities Board

We’re struggling at the moment with the huge volumes of messages we’re getting from Forumites about coronavirus and the impact it’s having on their finances. We’re a small team, with limited resources, but we’re doing our best to manage this spike in demand.

At this time, please note the Charities Board should only be used by registered charities and not include personal posts. I’m afraid we will have to delete any posts that aren’t from a registered charity. If you are facing personal financial difficulties at the moment, please use MSE’s coronavirus guides – they contain all the info we have and are constantly being updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

Bras for the UK?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Charities
7 replies 4.5K views
ShortieShortie Forumite
2.2K posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Charities
Morning

A friend mentioned that a charity shop they work for have a couple of bags of new/nearly new bras that were going to the rag man (their shop doesn't sell them)

It got me thinking about the recent(ish) news of girls in the UK who cannot afford to buy menstrual products, and then on to how expensive bras are to buy

Does anyone know of any UK based charities that work with schiols/families who could pass these out if I were able to buy them instead?

Cheers
Shortie
Apologies if there are random typos - I am usually replying via my phone

Replies

• MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many women turn up at shelters with nothing more than the clothes they are wearing - they might accept them.

Otherwise, try groups like the Salvation Army.
  • ShortieShortie Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mojisola
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    41.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We work with women who often have very little, and we accept donations of clothes - but only outerwear. Underwear (pants, socks, bras) would have to be new to be of use to us.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • kingfisherbluekingfisherblue Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Red Box Project works with schools and groups to ensure that all girls have access to sanitary towels, (new) knickers, deodorant, etc. I don't think that they accept bras, but it might be worth enquiring.

Otherwise, Smalls for All collect 'gently worn' bras for women and girls in Africa. If you can't donate to girls in the UK, you might want to consider donating here. My local Bon Marche has a bra donation box near the changing rooms to benefit women in Africa - I'm not sure if it is Smalls for All or another charity.
  • ShortieShortie Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fab thank you kingfisherblue, I had no idea about The Red Box Project. I will look at Smalls for All otherwise

Thanks again x
  • KatiehoundKatiehound Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭
    A local lingerie shop has a 'bra bin'. Bras donated in any condition are sorted and sent to Africa. Any parts that are unusable are sold as scrap and the money raised is returned to the shop for them to donate to a charity of their choice.
    I don't know the name of the charity which runs this scheme- sorry.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks