Changes in child maintenance - BUT have a consent order

Options

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    gla98avb wrote: »
    Thank you

Would not dispute if the money went to the kids!

You are aware that's a total deadbeat dad clich!, right?
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you

Are your kids the ones who do the shopping?
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you

So, you would be happy for your children to arrange their own housing/living expenses/education?
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Presumably once the consent order is cancelled by the CMS order then you can go after a share of her pension. My agreement stated a fixed amount for 5 years with a lower fixed amount for the rest. Of course he managed to renege on the higher amount for almost 4 of the years, but I didn't go after more for the rest. Some of us actually stick to our agreements.
  • Rubik
    Rubik Posts: 315 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    . Presumably once the consent order is cancelled by the CMS order then you can go after a share of her pension.

The CO wouldn't be "cancelled" if one party approaches the CMS. Nor would approaching the CMS entitle that person to request a variation in the other clauses in the CO. All other clauses remain as they are in the CO.
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,869 Forumite
    Options
    Rubik wrote: »
    The CO wouldn't be "cancelled" if one party approaches the CMS. Nor would approaching the CMS entitle that person to request a variation in the other clauses in the CO. All other clauses remain as they are in the CO.

What you are saying then is that no-one should sign a consent order because the provisions (well the ones that suit them) can be overridden by the CMS.
  • HoneyNutLoop
    Options
    Nice twist, but no, that’s not what they are saying.

They are saying the part of your consent order that specifies your child maintenance obligation can be overridden by an application to CMS after 12 months but not any other part of your order.

Presumably you either didn’t get legal advice at the time or your solicitor failed to point this out to you?
    I often use a tablet to post, so sometimes my posts will have random letters inserted, or entirely the wrong word if autocorrect is trying to wind me up. Hopefully you'll still know what I mean.
  • Rubik
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    What you are saying then is that no-one should sign a consent order because the provisions (well the ones that suit them) can be overridden by the CMS.

No, that's not what I said at all. Please don't try to misconstrue my words.
  • Rubik
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Nice twist, but no, that’s not what they are saying.

They are saying the part of your consent order that specifies your child maintenance obligation can be overridden by an application to CMS after 12 months but not any other part of your order.

HoneyNutLoop, that's exactly it in a nutshell (no pun intended), thank you.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    Options
    But badmemory is correct nonetheless, right? Clearly it's plain silly to make any concessions in other areas in return for reduced child maintenance, since the reduced child maintenance can evaporate a year later but the concessions you made in return are permanent. If the OP was actually following professional advice to do that then it was frankly negligent!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure