vanquis Card

Options
Martin_D2
Martin_D2 Posts: 16 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 29 January 2019 at 9:25PM in Credit cards
Am looking at getting a credit card to start to build my credit score does Vanquis change a monthly fee for its card.

I will just be useing it to pay for food shopping and will be paying it back the next day Am new to the credit card world

Comments

• davethorp
    davethorp Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No monthly fee however the best use of the card would be to spend on it as you say but wait until a statement is generated and then pay it off.

Operating it the way you are suggesting risks you having a zero statement balance and as such nothing due to pay each month and that wont help build your credit rating
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Just to confirm.

To build a positive credit history you need to:
    • Spend on everyday stuff that is already in your monthly budget (things like groceries and travel costs)
    • Wait for statement to be produced
    • Pay the statemented balance amount in full, before the due date.

The simplest and best way to ensure the statement gets paid on time, is to set up a Direct Debit to pay the full balance each month. :)
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

:smiley:
  • Martin_D2
    Options
    So if I use £80 On the card thay will add + 39.9% APR = I will pay back £82.66 is the correct ?
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    No. The £80 borrowing is interest free if you repay the amount before the due date on the statement. If you fail to pay the full amount by the statemented due date, then that is when you will start to pay interest.
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Martin_D2
    Options
    Thank you so much

So no monthly fee
    I just pay for what I spend
    If I miss a payment I pay interest and late fee.

Got it :)
  • Willing2Learn
    Options
    Don't miss a payment and don't pay a late payment fee. A late payment is also marked on your credit file...

I love my job

• Martin_D2
    Options
    I definitely will not I promise
  • PRAISETHESUN
    Options
    Don't miss a payment and don't pay a late payment fee. A late payment is also marked on your credit file...

This is the most important part. A late payment marker will make your credit history worse - the exact opposite of what you are trying to achieve here.

If you are worried about missing a payment, set up a direct debit from your current account to pay your balance in FULL every month!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just to confirm.

To build a positive credit history you need to:

Spend on everyday stuff that is already in your monthly budget (things like groceries and travel costs)

I mean, that's not really true is it?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    beany_bot wrote: »
    I mean, that's not really true is it?

Yes - why wouldn't it be?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income