Issues at work - what can be done

Hello everyone, hopefully some of you will be able to identify with these issues and be able to offer good advice.

A friend I know has been with this private sector company for around 12 months. It is a small company, but they are always busy and it would seem to be doing well given they recently got a pay rise. They work five days a week and are contracted from 9am-5pm.
At first, everything was fine. They settled in well and although the work kept them very busy over the course of the week, it was never a huge problem.
However, over the last few months, the work has got the point where it is now putting them under considerable pressure, so much so it is making them feel quite ill with the worry of it all. They work alongside someone else who is feeling this pressure too. This is partly down to staffing issues as one member of the team is about to leave. They have been told to ‘struggle on’ and see how busy they get before a possible replacement is even considered.
Both have put their concerns to their boss, but upon their boss speaking to the person who helps run the company, these concerns have been sharply dismissed – to the point where they were told that if they didn’t like it then they could easily be replaced.
They have often stayed well beyond 5pm (until 6pm in some cases) to try and get work up to date for the next day, but were eventually told not to do this. Then, the other day, they told the boss they were leaving at 5pm – as they had been told to do – and that they still had some work leftover. The boss became really annoyed and asked why they were not staying to finish it. They told me they simply could not do any more and were exhausted.
They and a colleague have also been told not to talk to each other about anything other than work as that has been given as a factor as to why they are getting behind, but it would seem the bosses and other people can come in to them and chat away about other matters not relating to work and that is alright.
My friend is an extremely hard worker and does not want to let anyone down, so they are pushing themselves, but it is taking a toll. They are worried they will just try and force them out because they feel they are not up to the task.
I have said to start looking for something else, but that can be easier said than done and may take time.
They don’t want to get signed off with stress, but my concern is the toll that it is taking on their mental health. There are family issues that are causing some upset also.
Before, they had busy days, but now this has become the norm and the bosses do not seem to be interested, especially when it comes to the health of their staff, both physically and mentally.
Any help on the subject would be gratefully received. Also, would it be worthwhile for them to join a union?

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Always worthwhile joining a union, but much like insurance - they don't help after the fact.

Given it's under 2 years employment, they can be dismissed with no reason.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    They just need to do what theyre paid to do. One thing they wont be getting paid to do is getting stressed.

I dont understand why your friend is putting pressure on themselves. I know that people do this to themselves but i just dont understand why, its not compulsory or necessary.

Just need to go in at 9, work as much as you think what youre getting paid is worth and then go home at 5. If the boss doesnt feel theyre getting value for money for what theyre paying, they wont hold back in letting them know.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    They need to start managing the pipeline of work and making it clear what is currently on the task lists for the day/week and what can't get done till next week.

Push back by getting priorities on the workload early and commit to getting the list done if nothing changes but only accept what can be done in the time allocated(maybe a little over to finish something).

The stakeholders for the deliverables need to be kept informed when they can expect the output.

When asked to do something new and the pipeline is full ask what gets pushed out/back to make room for the new work.

Also look very carefully at what really needs doing and is critical to the business, it can be surprising how much if not done would have no impact at all.

whenever they get interrupted have a job on the list for the most important peson/thing that needs doing.

"sorry can't chat X need doing for Y can you come back at 5.
  • Yellow_mango
    Yellow_mango Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You don’t say what kind of work it is, but it seems that maybe your friend is taking more responsibility for delivery of the work than is possibly required. You say that they are contracted for certain hours, which suggests that their responsibility is to work those hours (diligently of course) rather than deliver specific results or targets.

In which case, as others have said, there is simply no need to become exhausted or stressed over it. They should go in, work their contracted hours to the best of their ability, and then go home.

Being busy during those contracted hours is fine. That’s what they’re there to do. But if they work reasonably diligently and the work is not completed, sobeit. If they are being put under pressure to work longer than their contracted hours, or not permitted to take agreed breaks, then that is an issue that could be addressed.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Your friend and their colleagues need to work at their normal pace. As the company knows the situation i.e. the work is not being completed, and has chosen not to recruit additional staff, and has told existing staff not to work overtime, it is their problem to resolve.
    Your friend needs to start work on time, take their breaks, and leave on time. Don't worry about the outstanding work.
  • Thank you for the replies so far.
    The work all has to be done on that day as people come in to get their themselves assessed for certain aspects of their work that they have to be fit for, so it's not like projects or stuff that can be held over for a few days and prioritise other aspects.
    It's the sheer volume of the work that is the issue as sometimes they can be dealing with up to 40 people coming in a day. All the details have to be ready when they come in, while they have to process all the information when they come back out. This is on top of answering phone calls etc and covering for one of them might be away.
    From what I can gather from speaking to my friend is that it is other aspects involved in the process that hold it all up, yet it is them and their colleagues working at the front desk who seem to be blamed when it is not completed on time.
    Quite frankly, I think it is ridiculous that you can be dismissed after two years when you are working your hardest and with no support from those above.
    That is why they don't want to get signed off with stress etc and want to try and keep going, but the job is making them think they are not good enough, thus has an impact of self esteem and I can see that it is starting to be a downward spiral.
    They are working at more than maximum yet it never seems good enough. Surely there are rights to protect employees who want to work and are happy to, yet just get criticised by a boss who isn't willing to listen and, more importantly, help someone before it gets to the point where they are on the verge of breaking down?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I think the response is still the same.

They need to be flagging up for their boss why this is not do-able.

Do people drop in, r do they have to book an appointment? If they book appoihtments, then perhaps your friendcan start marking out time in the diary to do the necessary paperwork, and avoid booking people in on those times.

If people drop in, then they may have to start tellin them that they will need to wait.

Ideally they would speak to the manager and expalin the issues, and ask them to decide what they want them to do (e.g. "It isn't possible to see 20 people a day and do all the paperwork. I'd propose we start an appointment system to manage the worflow and so that people are aware that we won't always be able to see them the same day they drp in."
    OR " it isn't possible to see this number of people and do all the paperwork and the phones. Which would you like us to prioritise? If we see people as soon as they walk in, we won't have time to do the paperwork. If we follow best practice and do the paperwork at the tim we see someone, we will only be able to deal with [realistic number] of people a day, so we will have to start telling people to come back later"

If there are specifc problems which are likely to result - e.g. paperwotk not being sent out, ppeople not being seen in a required timescale, then it is worth raising these in writing and asking for guidance.

But if they won't listen, start looking for a new job, and in the mean time, do the best you can, but accept that that may mean leaving work undone and having to say to the boss "I haven't been able to do x, y and z as I have been doing a,b, and c all day. Do you want me to catch up with that tomorrow,which will mean I won't be available to deal with any new walk-ins or enquiries until it is done? If not, whatdo you want me to do?"

If their answer is " do both" then you may have to psuh back with "that won't be possible., I will do as much as I can, but I don't have the capacity to do all of this."
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,618 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Surprisingly employees have few rights. There are grievance procedures, but an employer can decide that a grievance should not be upheld and with less than 2 years service, your friend can easily be dismissed.

There is no legislation which effectively protects employees from inconsiderate employer unless the employer is breaching Health and Safety requirements, not paying minimum wage or holiday pay, or discriminating on the grounds of gender, age, religion, disability, race or sexual orientation.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • I'm surprised that someone leaving didn't make an impact.

I know when I grew stressed at work and resigned heat of moment, (after a short period working extra hours) all it took was one person leaving that my employer could no longer carry on with the shift work they had tried implementing (which caused the long hours, things becoming out of control and, feeling incompetent, part of the stress difficulties)

I would either get signed off or investigate a new job. Mind you my next real job has gone totally different from being busy to being quite humoured when the team think 7 emails is rushed off the feet! Total change of scene that doesn't even worry me being 'last in' - No happy medium! :)
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    They have often stayed well beyond 5pm (until 6pm in some cases)

Sorry but I can't help feel your friend needs to get over themselves a bit. 5.30pm is not 'well beyond 5' and if they can complete all their work every day by 6pm they are hardly stretched out.

Every workplace goes through busy periods. Your friend already has a pretty easy ride of it, with default hours at just 40 hours a week including breaks - by most standards I'd say that's pretty low.

If they really can't hack it then I guess they will have to quit and find an even easier job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure