help please upgrade from xp to anything which works!

Options

Comments

• surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    thanks all about to have a go!!!
  • jeradon
    jeradon Posts: 89 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    K-Lite Codec Pack is a good software. It allows me to play various audio/video formats.
  • stragglebod
    stragglebod Posts: 1,324 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    K-Lite was certainly the thing to have 15 years ago, no idea if it's still trustworthy. Didn't even know it was still around - assuming it's not a malware packed fake.

VLC would imho be a better choice as it will play pretty much anything and is open source.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,933 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    According to Wiki, K-Lite hasn't worked on XP since version 13.8.5 which was pushed out in August 2018.

This sort of thing is a "relic" I suppose from the days when Windows would only play Media Player files and these packs add support for other technologies in that came along later so that Media Player and friends could use them.

On modern versions of Windows which can play most things out of the box (and what it can't it will be able to by grabbing the appropriate codec off the Store), its sort of redundant really IMO. Not totally because it depends what you're doing and your needs but it's sort of a "your mileage may vary" sort of thing.

Then of course you have the likes of VLC which will play pretty much anything you throw at it, a solution that solves the need for extra codecs in the first place (plus of course it can do other things besides play media).
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Older versions of K-Lite avalable through filehippo

https://filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/history/3/

That or VLC on XP will sort you out, no need to go linux if you're not comfortable with techie stuff ;)
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • A.Penny.Saved
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    hi thanks for reply no it is xd8000

when i put dvd in it says no player installed

yes linux would be fine anything really to save it as the screen is lovely and buttons easy for old fingers. relative!

could you perhaps recommend a safe download and how to do it as it only has internet explorer which is really old version. can i update it do you think?

thanks so much this site is invaluable.
    GunJack wrote: »
    Older versions of K-Lite avalable through filehippo

https://filehippo.com/download_klite_codec_pack/history/3/

That or VLC on XP will sort you out, no need to go linux if you're not comfortable with techie stuff ;)
    You are totally missing that the laptop will not only be used to play DVD's, it will be used for normal internet activities such as web browsing and email which XP can no longer support due to lack of available browsers and email clients.

klite codec pack was a POS and unnecessary for many years ie >a decade. VLC was another POS IMO.

Linux should solve all this and be supported with security updates for a long time.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    thanks all think will try vlc first then linux if that works! it has great loud speakers great for deaf ears about ten time louder than my day to day dell
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Out of interest, why has nobody suggested at least trying Windows 10? The 32 bit version will run on pretty minimal specs, and it may be easier for the user to use something he's more familiar with.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Options
    You are totally missing that the laptop will not only be used to play DVD's, it will be used for normal internet activities such as web browsing and email

While I agreeregarind XP and the internet this has never been confirmed. OP was just mentioning downloading so VLC assumedly. I would just download on a different machine and use a usb stick, but XP is probably quite safe now on the internet as it is so unused no one bothers targeting it. Not that anyone sane would use it. Was bad enough at the time.

VLC was another POS IMO.

VLC is the best media player then and now. Yes it has issues with some things. Things most people will never encounter. I use other things for them. I'm sure you would not like them either. VLC plays dvd's great and even blurays ok (as long as they are unencrypted).

Linux should solve all this and be supported with security updates for a long time.

Linux really is the best option. And not hard to install these days from a USB stick or disk if you must! Last desktop distro I used was mint. Ran great. Don;t really use it now as no need, well except the filestore box which runs debian (which I would recommend except the pain of adding the non free repository so you can get proper drivers and stuff).
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Out of interest, why has nobody suggested at least trying Windows 10? The 32 bit version will run on pretty minimal specs, and it may be easier for the user to use something he's more familiar with.

Indeed and even without a key it only nags a little after the trial. Still gonna need a dvd player though and we are still unsure if internet use is planned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure