help please upgrade from xp to anything which works!

Options
124»

Comments

• thorganby
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    Hi great so now the laptop has VLC installed but can't play the disc as it has no compatible dvd decoder. Any ideas where to get this??

thanks all getting there slowly!

Although you have installed VLC I think that you have not made VLC the default player and are still getting the same error message from Windows media player.

See here https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Make_VLC_the_default_player/
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    yes thanks thorganby

getting there!! thanks all.
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Excellent thanks all so we have the dvd player (VLC) working perfectly and the picture and sound quality are excellent!! Lovely big screen too. Thanks so much now to work on the internet!!
  • A.Penny.Saved
    Options
    surfsister wrote: »
    Thanks so much now to work on the internet!!
    If you ask me, that is going to be a far bigger problem than playing a DVD IMO for reasons already stated.
  • poppellerant
    Options
    If you ask me, that is going to be a far bigger problem than playing a DVD IMO for reasons already stated.
    Indeed. Although the machine could run Windows 10 with 2GB of memory, it would probably be very painful.

I have a netbook maxed out with 2GB of RAM and it is so painfully slow, I hardly ever use it. I suppose matters aren't helped by the pathetic Intel Atom processor either. If I could upgrade the CPU I would, but it is soldered to the motherboard. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure