Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 15th Feb 17, 9:40 PM
    • 548Posts
    • 81Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    Vodafone won't let me use my own router; how can I cancel with no penalty?
    • 15th Feb 17, 9:40 PM
    Vodafone won't let me use my own router; how can I cancel with no penalty? 15th Feb 17 at 9:40 PM
    For technical reasons which I will not go into here, the Vodafone router is terrible; I want to buy my own, but I learnt Vodafone won't let me use my own equipment as it won't give me the password required to connect to the broadband. My problem is: this restriction is not mentioned anywhere in the contract, so I want to cancel without paying any penalty fees, since they are imposing a restriction I never agreed to. I have made a written complaint and am ready to escalate the matter to the Ombudsman ( as a new user, I cannot post the link ).
    My question is: is there anything else, anything specific I can do?

By the way, when I challenged a call centre 'manager' about this, he pointed me to clause 6.12 in their terms and conditions (again, cannot post the link) , but this only states that I can only use CE-certified equipment, and that I am not to connect any equipment which may cause harm to the network. Well, of course I am going to use a CE-certified router, and of course using a non-Vodafone router does not harm your network! I pointed out that this clause makes no mention whatsoever of any kind of restriction preventing customers from using non-Vodafone equipment, and he tried to argue it's just a matter of interpretation, which is honestly so ludicrous that it's offensive!
Page 2
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 17th Feb 17, 1:41 PM
    • 2,724 Posts
    • 1,351 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Even then it's largely a myth.
    Originally posted by lee111s
    In what way? Surely they need some stats back from your line to find the optimal stable connection?
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 17th Feb 17, 5:31 PM
    • 2,893 Posts
    • 1,967 Thanks
    lee111s
    In what way? Surely they need some stats back from your line to find the optimal stable connection?
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    DLM works the same from the first sync of a circuit to that of a circuit which is 2 years old.

People claim that it messes around with noise margins to see what a line can do, which is simply not true. If a line is stable at the target margin, it will remain so. Sometimes, target margins can be reduced by DLM if lines are stable, but this would happen as much on day 5 as it would on 105.

DLM will only make changes if there's an issue with the line. Again, it works the same on day 5 as it does on day 105.

The 10 days thing actually goes back many years where DLM data over the 10 days (mainly connection speeds) were used t determine a fault threshold rate for a circuit, in which unless the speed dropped below that value, it wasn't deemed a hard fault.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,015Posts Today

9,115Users online

Martin's Twitter