Cheapest way to use the immersion heater

Options

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »

I suspect your experience was because you were using hotter water and/or more hot water when on 24/7.

Yes, quite possibly. I have said before that in my experience, as a large family household, leaving the immersion heater on was very expensive, but I accept in a small household where no hot water is used for much of the day, it might not make much difference
  • skelly01
    skelly01 Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    Cardew,

In answer to your question regarding what type of monitor I use, it is one of the digital energy monitors.It was supplied by Scottish Hydro (similar to an OWL). As I stated I also carried out my own monitoring by taking the meter readings over a period of time.
    Now on reading magentasues posts (unless I have missed something), it seems that we have both had the same experience in that there is significant savings having the immersion on timed versus on 24/7.
    I am not a scientist by any manner of means, but am trained electrically so I know enough to know that my electrics are as they should be. I tested all circuits last night and they are all correct with no current leakages etc.
    I also took the temperature of my water just after one of my timed periods had finished. I have the thermostat set at 55C. The thermometer recorded 54.2, so it is is also operating OK.
    The only other thing is that we have showers with the very occasional bath, there are 2 of us in the house. This I would suggest though does not have any baring on the savings. I put this in in case someone can come up with something that is being missed. Could it be the way that one of these tanks works? I wrongly stated it was a saniflo tank. It is in fact a Santon Premier Plus, which operates unvented via expansion tanks etc. It is lagged with 45mm polyurethane.
    I wouldn't post here with artificial findings as this does not benefit anyone, and goes against the goodwill of any forum. As I stated in my earlier post I am only reporting my true and honest findings.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    skelly01 wrote: »
    Cardew,

In answer to your question regarding what type of monitor I use, it is one of the digital energy monitors.It was supplied by Scottish Hydro (similar to an OWL). As I stated I also carried out my own monitoring by taking the meter readings over a period of time.
    Now on reading magentasues posts (unless I have missed something), it seems that we have both had the same experience in that there is significant savings having the immersion on timed versus on 24/7.
    I am not a scientist by any manner of means, but am trained electrically so I know enough to know that my electrics are as they should be. I tested all circuits last night and they are all correct with no current leakages etc.
    I also took the temperature of my water just after one of my timed periods had finished. I have the thermostat set at 55C. The thermometer recorded 54.2, so it is is also operating OK.
    The only other thing is that we have showers with the very occasional bath, there are 2 of us in the house. This I would suggest though does not have any baring on the savings. I put this in in case someone can come up with something that is being missed. Could it be the way that one of these tanks works? I wrongly stated it was a saniflo tank. It is in fact a Santon Premier Plus, which operates unvented via expansion tanks etc. It is lagged with 45mm polyurethane.
    I wouldn't post here with artificial findings as this does not benefit anyone, and goes against the goodwill of any forum. As I stated in my earlier post I am only reporting my true and honest findings.

Does it not have a label with heat loss stated on it?

f2sdvs.jpg

If your temperature is set to 55, then your heat loss will be less.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • skelly01
    Options
    Will check when I get home tonight espresso and report back.
  • skelly01
    Options
    Just took this from the website for my specific tank:

Thermal Insulation:
    CFC/HCFC free (ODP Zero) fire-retardant expanded polyurethane (40-50mm thick). GWP 3.1 (Global Warming Potential)
    Standing Heat Loss Figures (kWh/24h)
    70ltr 1.10
    125ltr 1.49
    145ltr 1.65
    170ltr 1.77
    210ltr 1.97
    250ltr 2.09
    300ltr 2.25

Mine is a 145lt tank.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Just took this from the website for my specific tank:

Thermal Insulation:
    CFC/HCFC free (ODP Zero) fire-retardant expanded polyurethane (40-50mm thick). GWP 3.1 (Global Warming Potential)
    Standing Heat Loss Figures (kWh/24h)
    70ltr 1.10
    125ltr 1.49
    145ltr 1.65
    170ltr 1.77
    210ltr 1.97
    250ltr 2.09
    300ltr 2.25

Mine is a 145lt tank.

So the maximum difference between on 24/7 and timed can only be 1.65kWh per day and that is with the water at a constant 65C.

However the most important qualification to that statement is that you use exactly the same amount of hot water each day.

In practice, even if timed, the difference will be less than 1.65kWh as there will be some hot water in the tank, or in your case you have the temperature at 55C

With respect an Owl type meter cannot tell you the difference between 24/7 and timed. It will tell you when the immersion heater is on(if you can distinguish when it operates) however you would need to sit and monitor the Owl 24/7 for several days with a stop watch to check the periods it was on and off i.e. the thermostat had kicked in; and then monitor the same during timed periods as it is entirely possible that the thermostat will operate.

As I stated above it is probable that with constant hot water you will simply use more hot water, than from a 'timed' tank where the some has been used.
  • Cardew
    Options
    Just to clarify a point on my post above.

If you are trying to monitor the difference, on the first day you switch to 24/7 you will get a false reading as it will consume the electricity to heat the tank of water, and then the electricity to heat the replacement water.

However the next day you will have a full tank of hot water and it will only use the electricity to replace the loss(the 1.65kWh) so you would need to monitor 24/7 consumption over several days.
  • skelly01
    Options
    As I have stated, I have monitored over several days. I am well aware that the monitor cannot tell between the 2, however what it can tell you is how much energy you are using, or saving whatever way you want to look at it.
    I have done the comparisons both with the monitor and meter readings. I am saving what I have stated I am saving.
    My proerty is all electric, with a wet boiler. The heating is off at the moment for summer.
    With the immersion on timed I use 8 to 10 units per day, versus 16-18 I was using with on 24/7 on average.
    As I said the facts are there and the savings are being made so I am well happy.
    It can be debated until aliens land on earth, but the facts are that I save 8 units on average per day.
  • Cardew
    Options
    As I have stated, I have monitored over several days. I am well aware that the monitor cannot tell between the 2, however what it can tell you is how much energy you are using, or saving whatever way you want to look at it.
    I have done the comparisons both with the monitor and meter readings. I am saving what I have stated I am saving.
    My proerty is all electric, with a wet boiler. The heating is off at the moment for summer.
    With the immersion on timed I use 8 to 10 units per day, versus 16-18 I was using with on 24/7 on average.
    As I said the facts are there and the savings are being made so I am well happy.
    It can be debated until aliens land on earth, but the facts are that I save 8 units on average per day.

Well given that the loss of heat is less than 1.65kWh, have you any theory how the extra electricity is being consumed?

Or do you not agree that if you use exactly the same amount of hot water the difference cannot be more than 1.65kWh?
  • Chef1980uk
    Chef1980uk Posts: 226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Interesting thread. Having moved in to our new house 2 weeks ago i am keen to find out the answer to this very question. Our set up is no gas supply, coal fire with rear water heater for radiators and hot water supply, an electric water heater/immersion upstairs, and a pull cord for hot water to shower.

We need hot water for showers X 2 adults and baths X 3 babies. A dishwasher takes care of the washing up but baby bottles need hot water in the sink.

We think we need hot water supply for any 6 hours between 8am and 8pm. What we can't figure out is the cheapest way to get supply that.

a: Leave immersion on during the day
    b: leave immersion on during the night
    c: Don't use the immersion but coal fire going constantly on low (£5 per day in coal)
    D: another way?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport