Forum Home» Energy

Cheapest way to use the immersion heater - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cheapest way to use the immersion heater

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
150 replies 318.5K views

Replies

• Woah....do not.. under any circumstances leave the immersion on all the time. They use a lot of electricity and are hugely expensive to run.
  • Dinx_2Dinx_2 Forumite
    7 posts
    even using the 2 rate meter? using it during the night?
  • MagentasueMagentasue Forumite
    4.2K posts
    How much are you paying per kwh for gas? How much for off peak electricity.
  • Dinx_2Dinx_2 Forumite
    7 posts
    ok let me do some research.

I am on the standard dual fuel trarrif

gas -
    tier 1 7.160p per kwh
    tier 2 3.410p per kwh

electricity
    night flat rate 5.584p kwh
    day tier 1 32.379p kwh
    day tier 2 12.157 kwh

vat inclu
    4.2K posts
    Assuming you use enough gas to pay for all of the tier 1 kwh, you would be paying 3.4p per kwh to heat your water by gas, or 5.6p by electricity.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Dinx_2Dinx_2 Forumite
    7 posts
    ok I understand that. I just really have to work out how much units are charged at tier 1.

only use the immersion heater while I am in tier one and then let the gas boiler do rest of the work when I hit tier two.
  • Dinx_2Dinx_2 Forumite
    7 posts
    Tier 1 applies to the first 670 kWh per quarter (2680 kWh per annum for Pay As You Go Energy™) and all subsequent consumption is charged at Tier 2.

thats is copied from British Gas website.

this gets very confusing now becuase bills dated dec says i have been charged first 749kwh at tier one and then my latest bills is 661kwh at tier one. either there has been a change in the amounts of units in tier one or I have been billed wrongly.
    4.2K posts
    DINX wrote: »
    thats is copied from British Gas website.

this gets very confusing now becuase bills dated dec says i have been charged first 749kwh at tier one and then my latest bills is 661kwh at tier one. either there has been a change in the amounts of units in tier one or I have been billed wrongly.

Different number of days in those quarters?
  • Dinx_2Dinx_2 Forumite
    7 posts
    could be then becuase I have always sent a meter reading just to make sure its all correct and I sent a new bill with the updates changing the number of days in a quarter. I need to dig up the past few bills now the online account only lets me go back 3 bills.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ben37564 wrote: »
    Woah....do not.. under any circumstances leave the immersion on all the time. They use a lot of electricity and are hugely expensive to run.

Within reason it doesn't matter how long you leave them on as they all have a thermostat which switches them off - just like your electric kettle. except the thermostat switches them off at a set temperature, say, 65C.

There really is a lot of nonsense talked about the huge cost of leaving on immersion heaters 24/7.

Whilst I am not in any way suggesting you should leave it on 24/7 the real difference between 24/7 and timed is not more than 1kWh to 2kWh a day.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support