driving slow : your views ?

Options
199100101102103105»

Comments

• Quiet_Spark
    Quiet_Spark Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    Options
    nobbysn*ts wrote: »
    And they could well be doing 30mph. As I said, most speedos are digital, a weepy capacitor would have little effect on a digital, rather than analogue system.
    May I suggest we continue this conversation when your knowledge of electronics (or even basic electronic principles) has improved somewhat?
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit a wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it
  • nobbysn*ts
    nobbysn*ts Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    May I suggest we continue this conversation when your knowledge of electronics (or even basic electronic principles) has improved somewhat?

I don't think you'll ever get a grasp of the principle of digital control, as opposed to analogue, so I doubt it'll go anywhere with you apart from over your head, so no, let the conversation drop. And it's leaky, not weepy.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    jase1 wrote: »
    40 in a 30 is 33% over the legal limit. That is utterly unacceptable.

It really grinds my gears when I hear people who do 40 in a 30, complain about speeders on motorways, when what they are doing is far worse.

You shouldn't be looking at speeding in terms of number of mph over the posted limit -- it's percentages that matter.
    It's really not so prescriptive. There are certain times where 40mph in a 30 would be entirely acceptable were it not illegal. At other times even 30mph in the same location would be utter madness.

The best drivers drive to the appropriate speed for the circumstance, while respecting rather than fearing the speed limit.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • sh0597
    sh0597 Posts: 578 Forumite
    Options
    I guess if you drive at 30 in a 20 zone that has clear visibility you are as bad as someone doing 105 on a motorway.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    sh0597 wrote: »
    I guess if you drive at 30 in a 20 zone that has clear visibility you are as bad as someone doing 105 on a motorway.

This fixation with numbers entirely misses the point. And the point is that your speed should reflect your best perception of the hazard definition of the road, obviously with a respectful weather eye on the applicable speed limit.

Doing 30 in a 20 could be much less 'bad' than doing 20 in a 30 depending on circumstances.

The problem that has arisen as a consequence of the burgeoning speed cam industry is that people now see the controlling of speed by marginal enforcement of speed limits as the best way to improve road safety. By doing so, they are completely taking their eye off the ball.

It's like using a hammer to try to mend a watch.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • nobbysn*ts
    nobbysn*ts Posts: 1,176 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brat wrote: »
    This fixation with numbers entirely misses the point. And the point is that your speed should reflect your best perception of the hazard definition of the road, obviously with a respectful weather eye on the applicable speed limit.

Doing 30 in a 20 could be much less 'bad' than doing 20 in a 30 depending on circumstances.

The problem that has arisen as a consequence of the burgeoning speed cam industry is that people now see the controlling of speed by marginal enforcement of speed limits as the best way to improve road safety. By doing so, they are completely taking their eye off the ball.

It's like using a hammer to try to mend a watch.

Maybe, but if you see someone 'mending' other peoples' watches with a hammer, you're that little bit more careful your own watch doesn't need mending.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    In reality motorways may be safer to the mind of the speeder, until one person messes up at 80mph

In reality, like, actual reality, motorways are the safest place to drive. They're also the safest places to crash. No roundabouts, lights, pedestrians, cyclists etc. just you, other motor vehicles, crash barriers and a relatively flat, straight road. Motorways are the fastest roads. Motorways are the safest roads. Therefore faster is safer! Yay!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    brat wrote: »

Indeed. Speed cams are a prime example of basing policy on what is measurable, not what is important.

In my ideal driving world, I would have points awarded for being involved in accidents, and more points for blame in an accident and/or loss or injury.

It seems crazy to me that you can be banned for speeding where there were no consequences, but suffer no licence penalty if you write-off your car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure