School appeals - help offered

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    tiltal wrote: »
    This is really frustrating me. I work in schools as an education welfare officer and totally understand the importance of school, attendance, punctuality etc, but I have 3 children, 2 in one and another in a different school with different start and finish times. This ultimately means one (or 2) of my children will either be late for school everyday or picked up late everyday. This is not acceptable and I don't think it is fair at all. :mad:
    But if you work as an EWO, you'll surely know that being able to get your children to school on time isn't actually grounds for appeal! We have parents who talk about THEIR need to have the child at THIS school so that THE PARENTS can get to work, or so that Aunty Jean can pick them up etc, but none of that is relevant!

I do feel for you, and hope you can get the appeal moving - use the ombudsman again if necessary!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    emerald21 wrote: »
    Seren and Josh are both sorted allbeit at different schools Seren at the one in the village and Josh at one a mile away , not ideal but ok for his last year in junior school I suppose.

Caitlin the 13 year old isn t going anywhere when the schools start after the Summer holidays. They are waiting to appeal sometime in September.

There is a place for her in a village about 4 miles away but she doesn t live in that village. They want her to go to the school practically round the corner. So will have to wait and see and hopefully she will be offered a place there.

I hope she gets in. What is plan B? To take the school 4 miles away?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    Options
    tiltal wrote:
    This is really frustrating me. I work in schools as an education welfare officer and totally understand the importance of school, attendance, punctuality etc, but I have 3 children, 2 in one and another in a different school with different start and finish times. This ultimately means one (or 2) of my children will either be late for school everyday or picked up late everyday. This is not acceptable and I don't think it is fair at all.

Surely the answer is for 1 child to be dropped off early, rather than late? Much easier to be the child that is in the playground early rather than the one walking in to class late.

I do sympathise, I paid out for a school bus pass for the few years mine were in different places.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • tiltal
    tiltal Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Surely the answer is for 1 child to be dropped off early, rather than late? Much easier to be the child that is in the playground early rather than the one walking in to class late.

I do sympathise, I paid out for a school bus pass for the few years mine were in different places.

I hear what you are saying, but I am not up for dumping my 4 or 3 year old on a school playground with no supervision and running off elsewhere!! I have had referrals from schools about parents who do this, and social care referrals. If only it was that easy to leave the children. My 7 year old may just be ok, but I am still not happy with leaving any of my children unsupervised on a school playground for any amount of time in the morning. Teachers are not childminders and are not covered to supervise children until school officially starts. Also it is not only the case of dropping off it is picking up too. Not nice to be the child who gets picked up late every day and again not fair on teachers! I have 13 year of experience and have seen this on many occasions.
  • tiltal
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    But if you work as an EWO, you'll surely know that being able to get your children to school on time isn't actually grounds for appeal! We have parents who talk about THEIR need to have the child at THIS school so that THE PARENTS can get to work, or so that Aunty Jean can pick them up etc, but none of that is relevant!

I do feel for you, and hope you can get the appeal moving - use the ombudsman again if necessary!

OF COURSE I know, and I never once said that my appeal was solely based on this reason alone. It's not about MY NEED, IT IS and has ALWAYS been about the NEED OF MY CHILDREN.
    I really don't understand why comments have to be so nasty at times. Maybe if you read back to my earlier posts you will see . There are plenty of reasons for my appeals...e.g. the school not allocating places correctly, the impact on my children being in different schools etc. I am not going to begin explaining, but I came.
    I came for advice not judgment and don't really need comments as such, as they are not helpful at all.

I asked if anyone knew where I stood withe regards to the appeal, not for advice or comments about what I should or shouldn't know.

Really don't need it. I spent a whole year fighting for an appeal with my eldest and 13+ years as and EWO so don't need this type of comments, I don't know everything hence asking on here for advice on what I don't know.

It' really not an easy time for us as parents or my son, so I don't appreciate comments as such, and really they are not necessary:(.
  • tiltal
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    The LA may contact the school and encourage them to work through their appeals.

Hi
    Thanks. I tried them already, and they said they don't have anything to do with the appeals as it is a Faith School:(
  • silvercar
    Options
    I hear what you are saying, but I am not up for dumping my 4 or 3 year old on a school playground with no supervision and running off elsewhere!! I have had referrals from schools about parents who do this, and social care referrals. If only it was that easy to leave the children. My 7 year old may just be ok, but I am still not happy with leaving any of my children unsupervised on a school playground for any amount of time in the morning. Teachers are not childminders and are not covered to supervise children until school officially starts. Also it is not only the case of dropping off it is picking up too. Not nice to be the child who gets picked up late every day and again not fair on teachers! I have 13 year of experience and have seen this on many occasions.

I totally get this, I was commenting based on my experience where the playground was supervised from 20 minutes before start time.
    Hi
    Thanks. I tried them already, and they said they don't have anything to do with the appeals as it is a Faith School

Any chance you could speak to the relevant places of worship?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am not sure what is going on I have checked the admission criteria, and it has just left me questioning why some received a school place and others including us have not.
    But could they have not been given a place for the same reason, ie. not filling in the form? Have they appealed too? If so, wouldn't they then be given priority?

I do fully understand your stress in regards to drop off, but in essence, your situation is not different to mine when I was a single mum and had to drop to kids at opposite side of town before going to school, so in the end, had not choice but to get DD to attend breakfast club and then she had to accept to be the last one to be picked up until her DS could start in the same school too.

Not ideal, feels like an injustice, but not an uncommon situation across the country.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I really don't understand why comments have to be so nasty at times.
    Well pardon me for wishing you well and suggesting making use of the ombudsman again.

My comment was not intended to be nasty, but rather to discourage other people from thinking that the difficulties of having children at different schools would add weight to an appeal, which AFAIK it would not.

Another suggestion (and please don't bite my head off for suggesting it) but have you involved your MP at any stage?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • tiltal
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    But could they have not been given a place for the same reason, ie. not filling in the form? Have they appealed too? If so, wouldn't they then be given priority?

I do fully understand your stress in regards to drop off, but in essence, your situation is not different to mine when I was a single mum and had to drop to kids at opposite side of town before going to school, so in the end, had not choice but to get DD to attend breakfast club and then she had to accept to be the last one to be picked up until her DS could start in the same school too.

Not ideal, feels like an injustice, but not an uncommon situation across the country.

I thought at first it was to do with the supp form. The parent who was given a place and lives firther away didn't complete the supp form - she doesn't attend church (she told me this)! The parent who lives nearer did complete the form and does attend church! Do you see why I say I don't know what is going on. It seems such a mish mash.
    I wish the schools did breakfast club that would be the answer to all our school drop off worries, but they do not. It is not about being the last one it is being 20 minutes late to be collected every day! I have had referrals from teachers about this and know they don't look lightly on children being collected late as they don't being late in the morning.
    I am aware I am not alone in this, I have supported many parents who have 2 children in separate schools who are late every day! A few years ago we had an ongoing battle with the director of children services, who wanted our service tp prosecute these parents!! Of course we refused. The lack of school places or having 2 siblings in different schools are not their fault, and it wasn't as if they were not trying. It's just the effect on the child that I am concerned about, I know some children won't be bothered about it. My son is 4 and he's worrying about it already, he obviously don't know the ins and outs , but knows he isn't going back to his nursery, but is aware his brother and sister are.
    We don't want him to miss out on his education, not at all. We will continue to challenge this, and demand the appeal we are entitled to, and hope a he gets a place via the waiting list.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback