PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord and entering house

Options
Hi I rented a house a few years ago via PBricks and now we have moved out the 'landlord' doesn't want to give the deposit back even though we left the house spotless (there is evidence). Over the years we were there i asked for several things to be done and he never did them. He came round on many occasions and came in (I let him in) to collect mail etc and look at things and he was the only person we ever met etc. Now I find out when the case goes to be decided by adjudicators that he isn't the landlord or the house owner his wife is! SO all the times he came round as 'landlord' he wasn't. Was this legal? He is a very threatening character so i don't want to raise this unless I know what I'm talking about. He is African and has a very long difficult to spell name and I just assumed the name on the tenancy agreement was him as it is virtually identical to his name but PBricks now tell me he wasn't the landlord and I should never have corresponded with him but it was all done via their portal so who else could I have talked to? Thank you

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    See here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=67759912&postcount=3

Taken from G_M's sticky. Why do you need to deal with PBs? Just dispute it through the deposit scheme arbitration process or courts.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your tenancy agreement will have said who your landlord was, and it is upto you to identify this person. Your mistake was in assuming he was the landlord.

While his action was not legal, it was not a criminal act he commited, because you let him in volunatarily. If he threatened you, you should have called the police.

He might have committed a civil wrong, but you haven't lost anything, so no court is going to order anything in restitution.

I would suggest you accept the situation and learn from it. If you need to get repairs done on a rented property, write to the landlord. Don't use a portal or email because you don't know who you are conversing with or whether your messages are being received. The law accepts that the postal service is nearly infallable.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • noddynoo
    Options
    I totally agree and my case has gone to their adjudication. It is my fault definitely that I accepted he was the landlord due to the name similarity 100%. All the PBricks maintenance etc is done via the portal and he also had my mobile number which he used to make arrangements to enter and referred to himself as the landlord. I felt threatened by his presence but he never did anything to me. I just want my deposit back but can't seem to speak the the real landlord and he even did the check out so whatever she is disputing she hasn't even seen as she is in Africa! Unfortunately all the neighbours said he would do this but it was my home and I had limited choices
  • noddynoo
    Options
    Purplebricks was their representative and only recently told me he wasn't the landlord and that I should stop all correspondence with him. Before that he was always referred to as the landlord it is only now that there is a dispute I found out he isn't officially the LL
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    Your landlord is whoever is named on the tenancy agreement. You do not have to own a property to be a landlord. Take appropriate legal action against your landlord.

Where he is from, or not, is irrelevant.
  • noddynoo
    Options
    No I know that but its virtually impossible to contact someone where you have no details!! I am only able to have direct contact via the portal. PB represent her so I deal with them I was just wondering about all the times he entered the property when we had no idea who he was but he sent texts saying he was the landlord. Its just another in a long line of nonsense from them. They were allowing African nationals to access NHS treatment via our address so I shall pursue him that way although would have just preferred my deposit
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does any of this affect the adjudication?
  • noddynoo
    Options
    Apparently it does affect it as all the correspondence I have to submit is between myself and him and nothing with the actual landlord. So all correspondence re repairs etc were between me and him and not her.
  • KatrinaWaves
    Options

Where he is from, or not, is irrelevant.

To be fair to the OP, his nationality was brought up in relation to the names and him not realising that he had a female landlords name on the tenancy, which could easily be done with a name from another country, where Frank and Janice Jones wouldn't be quite as difficult.
  • noddynoo
    Options
    To be fair to the OP, his nationality was brought up in relation to the names and him not realising that he had a female landlords name on the tenancy, which could easily be done with a name from another country, where Frank and Janice Jones wouldn't be quite as difficult.

Thank you this is what I meant! There is ONE letter difference in their names and I hold my hands up I didn't notice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure