Advice - Newbie

Options
Apologies if this is obvious to some, and please no haters, I've enough going on in my life right now.

I'm having to sell my family home following the separation with my husband, leaving me currently living with my parents with my 7 month old twins.

I've never been one to claim, but have just last month started claiming UC. Am I right in thinking that selling my house means I won't be entitled to any UC as I'll be expected to live off my savings, despite needing them as a deposit on a new property for me and my two children?

I can understand, but I cannot cope living back with my parents forever :(

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    I can!!!8217;t find anything to suggest the time disregard for selling and buying doesn!!!8217;t apply on UC.

So you should be able to use it to buy another property with it, but it won!!!8217;t be disregarded forever (I think it!!!8217;s 6 months)

It should affect your benefits with regards to entitlement for your child, just your day to day living replacement which hopefully wouldn!!!8217;t be high if living at home anyway.

Who is currently living at the house? Would it be possible to live there until sold and a new home found? It wouldn!!!8217;t affect any benefits as you wouldn!!!8217;t be claiming for rent/home cost benefits either way.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    UC has a savings limit of £16k.

However capital from the sale of a house can be disregarded for a period of time, whilst searching for a new home.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/687077/admh2.pdf

H2114 would seem to relate to your circumstances
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think the proceeds can be disregarded for 6 months to allow you to buy another house.
  • Phyzelda
    Phyzelda Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My a.hole of an ex is squatting there!! Literally!!!
    So no me and the kids wouldn't be safe there. I don't want to be anywhere near him
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Phyzelda wrote: »
    My a.hole of an ex is squatting there!! Literally!!!
    So no me and the kids wouldn't be safe there. I don't want to be anywhere near him

Is he actively committed to selling the house, as your capital disregard won’t last forever and won’t effectively pay for him to continue living in your home...

If he’s not you need to take action to make sure the house will be sold. How long has it been on the market?
  • Phyzelda
    Phyzelda Posts: 630 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks all

He's doing nothing so I am. I have an investment company coming next week who are interested in it at a reduced price. But I need it gone and need to get away from all ties with him
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all

He's doing nothing so I am. I have an investment company coming next week who are interested in it at a reduced price. But I need it gone and need to get away from all ties with him

That will probably go down like a lead balloon!
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Thanks all

With risk of agreeing with he who shall not be named, this doesn’t sound like a particularly wise idea.

These companies will low ball you, and then low ball you even lower when it’s getting very late in the game for you to pull out so you feel pressured. The likelihood of your ex agreeing to this is low, and honestly I’d agree with him on that.

You need to get legal advice and serve him with an ultimatum. Either he agrees to market it sensibly and gets a good price, or you take him to court to force a sale and that cost (which can be 10k plus) will be taken from the house sale/costs/equity split.

That cost of forcing the sale will probably be dwarfed by the loss you’d take at the hands of these charlatan ‘investment’ companies....
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Agree with Marliepanda. Those investment companies who buy properties quickly often offer 70% of market value and then find reason to reduce the amount before the sale goes through.

If the house is in joint names, you can't do this, as your ex will have to agree. Even if the house is just in your name, you would have to go through the correct legal process to evict him.

Suggest you obtain legal advice about this to inform you of best way to proceed. Any UC decision maker looking at a claim would need all of the information anyway, so a Solicitors letter with all relevant documents would be useful.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    separation with my husband,

You are seeking a divorce? There will be a financial settlement concerning the family home?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure