Pen and Paper

Options
2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It!!!8217;s not a scam. It is just the share dealing service of a Bank that has internal procedures that they are trying to impose on customers. My wife sent them a written complaint. Their response 2 hours later to her e-mail was that they (a) they couldn!!!8217;t respond to the complaint as they had lost the detail of the complaint in their system and (b) they hoped that they were happy with the way that they had handled her complaint, and if we were not we can now take the complaint to The Ombudsman

We will resolve the problem by going into the local branch of the Bank to give them what they need to release the funds.

I can only conclude that they are in some form of competition with the TSB for the award of most incompetent Bank of the Year.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    I do struggle to understand companies that think it reasonable to phone you uninvited and then ask you to answer security questions.

I had a call from Autoglass the other day and they wanted to know if there was anything special about my car windscreen they are scheduled to replace but before they would talk about it they wanted me to tell them my address and date of birth. Why? How often does the wrong person answer a mobile and tell them the wrong answers about a car windscreen?

Alex.

If they didn't verify that they were talking to the correct person then they would be in breach of the DPA, as the conversation could involve them in divulging personal information.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    If they didn't verify that they were talking to the correct person then they would be in breach of the DPA, as the conversation could involve them in divulging personal information.

They were asking me a question about my car windscreen there was no chance they were going to tell me any sensitive personal information.

Alex.
  • ValiantSon
    ValiantSon Posts: 2,586 Forumite
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    They were asking me a question about my car windscreen there was no chance they were going to tell me any sensitive personal information.

Alex.

They could have done.
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    Options
    perhaps you haven't done anything personal and sensitive involving a windscreen, but not everybody can say the same.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My OH was phoned by our bank some time ago, out of the blue for no known reason - he 'failed' their security questions so we never did find out!
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,641 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was phoned by one of my banks and failed the security questions. I was in a queue for the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam at the time and had not taken the debit card abroad since I was not going to use it. I spent the rest of the holiday somewhat concerned that something fraudulent had happened. Once I got back I got in touch and it turned out to be a complete non-issue :(
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure