New ofcom rules allows customers to limit their bills

Options
Timalay
Timalay Posts: 906 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/new-rules-to-allow-mobile-customers-to-limit-their-bills

Just found out about this today. It's about time all networks did this (I know a few already do).

Comments

• Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I can see that backfiring, we'll have posts like 'I was on the phone to my sick father/mother/gerbil in the USA, hit my limit and was cut off. Who do I claim compensation from?'
  • Timalay
    Options
    If you had a gerbil that could talk on the phone, I think you would be making more than enough money to pay the bill. :p
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Options
    Timalay wrote: »
    If you had a gerbil that could talk on the phone, I think you would be making more than enough money to pay the bill. :p

? You mean you haven't???
  • Timalay
    Options
    Unfortunately not, do you know of any going cheap? Or is it just the budgies?
  • its_all_over
    Options
    It’s actually pretty pointless as it doesn’t cover the problems most people get scammed by.
    A bill limit does not have to cover other types of services provided by third parties that you may use your mobile phone to access. For example, a bill limit does not have to include the full cost of premium rate services (which usually operate on numbers beginning 09, 118, 084, 087 or five or six digit mobile voice and text shortcodes) but it must include your provider’s charge for accessing these services. See further explanation about the difference between access charges and service charges.

Similarly, a bill limit may not cover certain ‘charge to mobile’ services that allow you to pay for goods and services from app stores, third party publishers and merchants via your phone bill.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/mobile-bill-limits
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    I can see that backfiring, we'll have posts like 'I was on the phone to my sick father/mother/gerbil in the USA, hit my limit and was cut off. Who do I claim compensation from?'

Or I'm an adult, why should the limit apply to me?

Customers have always had the ability to limit their bill. Limit their use. It's not rocket science.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »

Customers have always had the ability to limit their bill. Limit their use. It's not rocket science.
    As long as someone else hasn't got your phone.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    boatman wrote: »
    As long as someone else hasn't got your phone.

And you're stupid enough not to have put a sim lock on it.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Options
    And you're stupid enough not to have put a sim lock on it.
    Sim lock might not help if there's no phone lock.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure