MSE News: Bad weather chaos: your pay and travel rights

Options

Comments

• geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE Getting to work is a 20 mile round trip for me, but I suppose I could have walked !!

http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=151645402

This woman got up at 5am and walked 14 miles to work, you could have walked to your work in only 2 hours and 30 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Well, that would depend on levels of fitness. I walked to work yesterday and it took me just over an hour - not too bad, as it normally takes me 45-50 minutes anyway.

I am 44 and reasonably fit - I would not have expected my mother to do it, or someone infirm/pregnant etc.

There's no way I was walking today though as the snow has turned to ice and is much more hazardous. Luckily the buses were running this morning.
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    [QUOTE Getting to work is a 20 mile round trip for me, but I suppose I could have walked !!

This woman got up at 5am and walked 14 miles to work, you could have walked to your work in only 2 hours and 30 minutes.[/QUOTE]

Doesnt mention walking home again in the dark though does it.
  • dudenstumpy
    Options
    Doesnt mention walking home again in the dark though does it.[/QUOTE]

What about the dark ? it was dark for most of her morning walk
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What about the dark ? it was dark for most of her morning walk
    Is walking in the dark much more difficult? :confused:

If you are worried about unsavoury people being around, rest assured that it will be too cold outside for them.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heliflyguy wrote: »
    Why not google adverse weather yourself and exactly what jobs are going abroad due to bad weather payments of wages or lawful working conditions, maybe we should all resort to the same terms and conditions as an Indian sweat shop to keep you happy.
    I would say that you would have more trouble and would be in more danger walking than driving with the condition of the pavements and how far should somebody be expected to walk and then walk home again in the dark.

So you expect to get paid when you haven't done any work?
    :confused:
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

But I had already wasted 5 hours trying to get there, then a 3-4 hour walk, the Motorway route cuts of a large part of my journey, time I'd had my cuppa it would be time to come home again! Fair play to the woman for walking that far to work but when I initially set off there was only a flurry of snow, 20 mins later it was bedlam.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    KeithP wrote: »
    Is walking in the dark much more difficult? :confused:

Of course it is - it's harder to see where you are going. :rolleyes:
  • dudenstumpy
    Options
    [QUOTE
    when I initially set off there was only a flurry of snow, 20 mins later it was bedlam.[/QUOTE]

After driving for 20 minutes you were probably well into your 10 mile journey. Once it became evident that the Bedlam might cause you to let down your employer, could you have parked your car and walked the rest of the way ?

I last did this ( abandoning my car due to snow and walking the rest of the way to work ) in March 2006.
  • spajec
    Options
    I run a small business and because of the weather there have been very few customers. The sales we have done have barely covered the electricity used to keep the place open.

In these conditions I can hardly afford to pay the people that turn up let alone the ones that can't make it in. Our business is not the sort people can do at home or make up when the weather is better. Nor will the business lost be recovered.

I'm not a tight !!!! living in a mansion nor am I a charity.
    I'm also worried how I will pay bills if the bad weather continues.
    At least I have happy children who have got a few extra days off school.
  • MrsT110309
    Options
    I work for a small business and while I appreciate that my boss has had no money coming in over the last few days as she cancelled the classes we run due to adverse weather, I had no choice to work and therefore am unsure if I will be paid for those days. Can anyone tell me where I stand? I cannot see anything in my contract about this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure