MSE News: Bad weather chaos: your pay and travel rights

Options
"The cold snap is affecting much of our daily routines. Here, we answer many of your questions on protecting your pocket ..."

Comments

• Chiddles
    Chiddles Posts: 48 Forumite
    Options
    My mother, who lives about 20mins drive from the airport, has booked a taxi to the airport for a flight leaving at 8.30am. The taxi firm said they will pick her up at 6am even though its a small airport and so you dont normally need to check in more than 30 mins beforehand. When she questioned this, they said they need to book it for this time to be certain they can get her there in time and that she could request a later time but there would be 'no come back' if she didnt make the flight. My question is: can you claim compensation from a taxi firm for a missed flight if they do not get you to the airport in time? Does it matter what the cause is i.e. their mistake vs bad weather?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would very much doubt it, they arte not liable for any forward travel arrangements. You could always ask them but they would probably decline the fare. With this weather you want to allow as much time as possible and with increased security I think your mother is lucky they are only suggesting 6am.

Edit:- In answering your post I have missed the last bus home and plan to hold you liable :) (you get the drift though)
  • bluejosiah
    bluejosiah Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My friend and I (who car share) didn't go to work today as we felt the roads were too bad to make the 10 mile drive. We live on a hill so the weather was worse and mentioned by name on the BBC website as being badly affected. The consequence was that it would be treated as Annual Leave. However I have found out that the company I work for encouraged those who were able to turn up to go home at 11am due to the weather worsening. They therefore worked 2 hours and do not have to take the 5 hours which they didn't work as Annual Leave. Do I have a case to put forward that I should only have to take 2 hours Annual Leave? Or even half a day?
    TIA
  • Hintza
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bluejosiah wrote: »
    They therefore worked 2 hours and do not have to take the 5 hours which they didn't work as Annual Leave. Do I have a case to put forward that I should only have to take 2 hours Annual Leave? Or even half a day?
    TIA

Sounds fair enough to me. Those that made the effort get the benefit, you didn't even try to get into work and you expect to get paid :confused:. Whilst the others that did make the effort have been rewarded for making the effort.
  • dudenstumpy
    dudenstumpy Posts: 55 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2010 at 8:59AM
    Options
    The incliment weather policy of the organisation I work for empowers line managers to let staff finish their shift early if a weather problem is worsening during the shift ( and could adverly effect the employee getting home ). There is nothing in the policy about how much time can be granted.

Someone who can't get far from their home would be expected to either take leave or report to a nearer branch.

Staff who live up hills would be expected to rise early and walk to the main roads.

In 1995, a colleague walked 7 miles in the snow to start work at 7am. The same day, all 14 of the local primary school teachers did not report for work, leaving the headmaster to tell myself and scores of parents to " walk your kids home again"
  • Heliflyguy
    Options
    On radio4 PM show last night (5/01/2010) it was said that unless your contract of employment stated that you would not get paid for not coming to work due to adverse weather and your employer deducted money without your consent then it would be unlawful.
    I would imagine any demand that time be made up under the same circumstances would also need to be in the contract.
    It was also said that if you could not attend work because you had to care for your child because the school closed then again pay could not be taken away as it could be considered discrimination.
    Anyone wish to check can go to the iplayer and its at the 35 min mark.
    Were the company has a policy in place would this overide the employees contract?
  • Hintza
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Heliflyguy wrote: »
    On radio4 PM show last night (5/01/2010) it was said that unless your contract of employment stated that you would not get paid for not coming to work due to adverse weather and your employer deducted money without your consent then it would be unlawful.
    I would imagine any demand that time be made up under the same circumstances would also need to be in the contract.
    It was also said that if you could not attend work because you had to care for your child because the school closed then again pay could not be taken away as it could be considered discrimination.
    Anyone wish to check can go to the iplayer and its at the 35 min mark.
    Were the company has a policy in place would this overide the employees contract?

If that is true it is hardly surprising that all the jobs are going abroad.

Define adverse weather? Most people still have legs.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »

Getting to work is a 20 mile round trip for me, I tried to get to work on tuesday, the slip road I use, off the M27, has a slight incline and cars, or rather some drivers, couldn't get up it, so abandoned their cars and completely jammed the exit. Luckily I was still queing on the main carriageway and drove to the next junction and turned back there. In the meantime my boss rang and told me not to bother trying to get in, so I went home, this futile journey, 25 miles with the enforced diversion took me over 5 hours. I would say that was adverse enough but I suppose I could have walked !!
  • Heliflyguy
    Heliflyguy Posts: 932 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hintza wrote: »

Why not google adverse weather yourself and exactly what jobs are going abroad due to bad weather payments of wages or lawful working conditions, maybe we should all resort to the same terms and conditions as an Indian sweat shop to keep you happy.
    I would say that you would have more trouble and would be in more danger walking than driving with the condition of the pavements and how far should somebody be expected to walk and then walk home again in the dark.
  • dudenstumpy
    Options
    [QUOTE Getting to work is a 20 mile round trip for me, but I suppose I could have walked !![/QUOTE]

http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=151645402

This woman got up at 5am and walked 14 miles to work, you could have walked to your work in only 2 hours and 30 minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure