Dehumidifier or tumble dryer

Options
Dehumidifier model: Amcor SD12
Tumble dryer model: Hotpoint TVM570

Ok i know absolutely naff all about electrics but i was just wondering in terms of cost - what would be the difference between drying off the washing using say the dehumidifier vs the tumble dryer?

I don't really know which one is cheaper to run, whether there's a lot in it or not much or what.

The dehumid needs to run for a fair bit longer than the tumble dryer i know that much so even if it's cheaper to run it may not be in the long run (i'm only guessing).

Feedback please?

Comments

• silkcutblue
    Options
    Seems to be some good points in this thread: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3599425
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Don't worry about the difference in cost. It would be possible to work it out (approximately) based on the volume of water you are asking each machine to remove, but there is a much bigger consideration at play. Have a look at the many, many threads on here about condensation, dampness and mould. In most cases, it is caused by lifestyle and inadequate ventilation. Aside from cooking, showering and breathing, one of the main culprits is drying clothes indoors on racks or radiators.

Get the vented tumble dryer and get the water out of your house. A dehumidifier is a sticking plaster to correct a mistake.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    On the other hand a dryer pumps hot air through the clothes and then outside, wasting energy. A dehumidifier operates in an enclosed area, it uses less power and it's a great way to make the house feel cooler on hot/humid days, BUT it's a very slow way to dry clothes.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would choose a heat-pump tumble drier; efficient and it does what you need.

A dehumidifier to pull water out of the air after leaving wet clothes around is not a great way to go.
  • scottishblondie
    Options
    Having used both as a means of drying clothes, get a tumble drier. The dehumidifier takes forever, makes a racket, and you have to have the clothes hanging out taking up space while it goes. The tumble drier is designed to dry clothes, and does a much better job of it much more quickly! I have a condensing one I I have no means of venting to the outside, it generates a nice amount of heat as well which is not lost to the outside, something that I consider a nice bonus.
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    1. Do you have space for tumble dryer?
    2. can most of your clothes tumble dry?
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a heat-pump condenser dryer and I love it. I have spent years trying various ways of drying laundry, from racks, heated racks to dehumidifiers and so on and nothing works as well and as quickly as a tumble dryer. The winter nightmare of trying to get thick towels and superking-size bedding dry in a reasonable amount of time is no more, my washing smells better and I can get the laundry done over one day a week, rather than it hanging round practically all week and still not feeling properly dry. The house is drier too. I know they're not the greenest option but drying washing indoors isn't particularly healthy (or 'green' if you're having to crank up the heating anyway) so if you've got the space and cash for a tumble dryer then I would go for it.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The heat pump dryers are the way to go.
    A bit more expensive but the margins are dropping and the running costs are much better.

Focus on the annual cost and condenser efficiency(90%+ is good).

when I was looking there clearly were some step changes in the ratings for models where a set of newer models all had the same better rating against a previous batch.(there are the outliers at the silly money that were clearly ahead on the tech)

for 8kg you want energy 230kwh or lower
    some hotpoint are over 300kwh and only a tiny bit cheaper

Grundig(Beko in disguise) come with 5y warranty.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I use a dehumidifier (desiccating type rather than compressor) combined with a ceiling-suspended drying rack and it works brilliantly. OK, it's not as fast as a dryer - it takes a couple of hours to dry a load of light clothes, longer for towels and suchlike. But as it's essentially the same as line drying it's gentle on the clothes, doesn't crease them and can be used with delicate fabrics.

The comments above about dehumidifiers cooling the room and making a racket were probably talking about compressor models. Desiccating dehumidifiers actually make the room slightly warmer and don't make much noise. They are also better suited to the British climate than compressor models. Mine is an Ecoair DD122 MK5.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 September 2017 at 10:17AM
    Options
    We have and use both.

We have a condensing tumble dryer which works great, but around half of our clothes can't be put in it.

We have a desiccant dehumidifier (minimal noise and more efficient than compressor type) which we use on half power setting overnight. Everything is dry by morning.

If I could only have one I would go for the tumble, but only because the tumble uses less space to dry clothes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure