Have solar panel quote, need advice

Options

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Talldrake wrote: »
    I told them I wanted to cancel (politely).

They came back with:

"
    I have discussed this with my senior manager. We are keen to get a reference installation in your area.

Therefore, I can extend a special, one off offer for the system. Subject to you accepting by tomorrow, the 14th October and we will install and deliver the system as specified in my original proposal for £7,700 including VAT."

£7.7k for a 4.662kWp system (assuming you still get the 333Wp panels, is still expensive.

The £2.7k price cut, the panel upgrade, and the 'reference install' BS goes to show what kind of insane mark up this company is working from.

I'd be scared to use such a company. If you trust them, then suggest £5k and see what they say ..... after all, they want a reference install in your area?

BTW, I'd be surprised if they aren't already monitoring MSE and the G&E board since so many links appear at the top under a Google search.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like pressure-selling to me. I wouldn't give them the time of day as I would struggle to trust a business that can suddenly offer massive discounts but only if you sign up in the blink of an eye.

There must be loads of installers that will travel to the Bristol area that could be recommended by folk on here.

I would recommend my installer but it turns out they have moved out of residential installs in favour, I think, of new builds and larger commercial ventures.
  • Talldrake
    Options
    For info:

Had another back and forth with them. They have now dropped to £7.3K.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For info:

Had another back and forth with them. They have now dropped to £7.3K.

Did you offer 5K take it or leave it?

It all comes down to how bad they want the work.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Talldrake
    Options
    I decided to cancel. They confirmed the cancellation was completed on the 15th.

Not had the deposit returned yet. Have chased today....
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 October 2018 at 4:47PM
    Options
    Chase them daily. Offer to go and collect the cheque from them. Keep records of every time you chased and who you spoke to. I’ve just helped a friend with a similar cancellation issue (different firm). In the end she threatened to take legal action. They said ‘go ahead’. So we filed online with all the evidence and got the money back plus legal costs. Hope it doesn’t come to this, but I really don’t trust these people so keep ahead of them and be prepared to fight.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 October 2018 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all.

To answer the question, I'm in Bristol.

The company we used was http://www.forevergreen-energy.co.uk

They are based in Cheltenham, so not too far away from you. They did a good job for us at a reasonable price. The salesman/engineer was very good at explaining all the options.
  • Talldrake
    Options
    They said the deposit would be returned within 14 days.

Now on day 14 since they said it was completed, and not had the money back. Chased them today.
  • dasi
    Options
    I had a 4kW SolarEdge system installed in Bristol in 2015 by Sunlight Future for £6145. I also had a quote from ecocetera which was very close, but went with SF as they could install before the September FIT deadline. I recommend getting quotes from both:

ecocetera.com
    sunlightfuture.co.uk

dasi
  • davidjswift
    Options
    I am just starting looking for a solar panel supplier and installers for a 4 KW system charging about £8,000

14 x Evolution Max Life solar panels
    1 x Growatt Twin Tracker inverter
    1 x K2 mounting kit
    10 year workmanship warranty
    48 hour repair response with dedicated customer care
    Anti-theft device

Is this a good deal ? Can anyone recommend a supplier based in the west midlands I live near to leamington spar
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure