First car

Options
Hi all,

So I turn 17 today and I'm beginning the search for my first car. I believe I may buy my car before I pass my test so that I can use it to practise. My mum is willing to take me out once I've had a fair few lessons.

I understand that the car will need to be insured, but I cannot do this before I pass. If I buy the car and own it, can my mum have an insurance policy on the car??

Then, when (or if!) I pass, can I simply cancel the policy in her name and get one in my name?

This is all so confusing!!:(:(

Any help or advice will be much appreciated!

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes your mum can insure it but so can you with a learner policy.

Will it be cheap (unlikely) You could buy quite a few extra lessons for the cost of the insurance.

Its going to be expensive as a learner and even more expensive as a newly qualified driver.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• bouncydog1
    bouncydog1 Posts: 2,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can't insure it before you have a provisional licence but as soon as you get that you can. We got DD's car a few months before she was 17 and added it to my DH's policy. A new policy was set up for her the day she was 17 and off we went. Your mum should ask her insurers if she could do the same. Cost shouldn't be too much for a couple of months depending on who her insurers are.
  • eastmidsaver
    Options
    your probably best having the insurance in your parents name and you being a named driver. otherwise it;s going to be very expensive!
  • hbill3
    Options
    @bouncydog1 so does that mean that my mum could add my car to her existing policy? Thanks
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    Her no claims will be in use on her own car.

• ajp2009
    ajp2009 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    My son just passed his test last friday and prior to that he bought his first car and learned to drive in that as well as having lessons off a qualified instructor. He took out a policy on his car through collingwood learner driver insurance and this cost £34 per month, It saved him a fortune as he could get loads of extra practice off his dad on top of his weekly driving lesson ..he passed first time after 4 months :) The policy was in my sons name and providing he was accompanied by a full licence holder he could drive at anytime with no curfews.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its cheap to insure as a learner then goes through the roof when you pass. Did it for my daughters, both had a car and learnt in it as well as lessons.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    your probably best having the insurance in your parents name and you being a named driver. otherwise it;s going to be very expensive! Posted by kerpunk
    ........... NOOOOOOO ! If OP is the main driver then what you are proposing is called 'fronting' - and it's illegal.
  • hbill3
    Options
    ajp2009 wrote: »
    My son just passed his test last friday and prior to that he bought his first car and learned to drive in that as well as having lessons off a qualified instructor. He took out a policy on his car through collingwood learner driver insurance and this cost £34 per month, It saved him a fortune as he could get loads of extra practice off his dad on top of his weekly driving lesson ..he passed first time after 4 months :) The policy was in my sons name and providing he was accompanied by a full licence holder he could drive at anytime with no curfews.

Does this not require somebody with a full license to be insured on the car also? Can it just be a learners policy?
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    Learner policy = cheap but you cannot cover anyone else on the car and it ends as soon as you pass your test.

Only covers certain postcodes also, this can be a bit hit and miss. I could have got a policy for £400, but on that car it would have been over £2000 when they passed.
    Seemed rather cruel to say here is your car then congratulations on passing your test you will have to sell the car now or pay over £2000 insurance.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure