UC questions and answers

Options
I thought it might be helpful to have a thread where people can ask about UC and hopefully get help/answers.

I appreciate that UC is still new to most of us but I'm sure that between us we can point people in the right direction.

Comments

• Euphoria1z
    Options
    My Question- when you transfer to UC from an existing claim, will the overall payments be the same, more or will it be less? i.e if you get Housing allowance, child tax and working tax credits currently, once you've been transferred to UC and get a single payment, will it be pretty much the same as it was before (assuming no change in circumstances) or are you worse/better off?

Thanks
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    Euphoria1z wrote: »
    My Question- when you transfer to UC from an existing claim, will the overall payments be the same, more or will it be less? i.e if you get Housing allowance, child tax and working tax credits currently, once you've been transferred to UC and get a single payment, will it be pretty much the same as it was before (assuming no change in circumstances) or are you worse/better off?

Thanks

At the moment the only people transferring to UC are those who have a change in circumstances ('natural migration'). They get the new rates. When the DWP start moving people over ('managed migration') there will be transitional protection - they'll stay on the same amount that they were getting on the old benefits. If they have a change of circumstances after managed migration then they'll lose that protection and only get the normal UC rate.

Managed migration isn't due to start until 2020. Based on when they intruced PIP and ESA, it could be much later and will probably take a long time for everyone to be moved.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • pinkladyvenus
    Options
    At the moment the only people transferring to UC are those who have a change in circumstances ('natural migration').
    what is classed as a change of circumstances?
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    what is classed as a change of circumstances?

Something that triggers a change in your claim. Moving to a new council area which means a new housing benefit claim, moving from ESA to JSA or vice versa, savings going above 16k, for instance.

Changing bank accounts wouldn't be (there's been a few people asking that lately).

Are you worried about a prospective change?
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    Options
    Euphoria1z wrote: »

Thanks

As I understand it...a new claim due to natural migration will essentially replace everything at roughly equivalent rates, some rates will be better, ESA Support group is better on UC than ESA.

However, UC does not have disability premiums, so you could be worse off on UC if you had disability premiums before...i.e. there is no SDP or EDP.

Also ESA permitted work income does not affect ESA
    but on UC work income will affect the UC amount. So in this case a claimant could be worse off.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2018 at 7:55AM
    Options
    I asked a question here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5776767 but maybe asking here might get a better response?

A couple we know need to make a new claim for UC, what would the couple’s UC amount be please? They have no savings, no housing costs, no other household members. Both members of the couple are in the support group of ESA and as a couple they get IR ESA (but the wife’s ESA is contributions based as part of the claim). The claim is in the husband’s name. Both members of the couple also get DLA HRC.
    At the minute they get £388 per fortnight (husband) plus £219 per fortnight (wife) plus 2x DLA. For further info, both husband & wife are below pension age. The wife (who gets contributions ESA) has always been in the support group of ESA since she was transferred from IB a number of years ago.

What would the couple’s UC amount be please?
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ages of the couple ?

How long has the wife been on contributions based ESA ?

As far as I know, the contributions based benefit will stay as a separate benefit as it is time limited and not be part of any UC claim.

Why do they need to change to UC ? What change in circumstances has happened ?
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Zziggi
    Zziggi Posts: 2,485 Forumite
    Options
    Both husband & wife are below pension age. The wife (who gets contributions ESA) has always been in the support group ifESA since she was transferred from IB a number of years ago.

(I’ll ammend my post above to include this info).
  • epitome
    epitome Posts: 3,199 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2018 at 10:26AM
    Options
    Zziggi wrote: »
    I asked a question here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5776767 but maybe asking here might get a better response?

A couple we know need to make a new claim for UC, what would the couple’s UC amount be please? They have no savings, no housing costs, no other household members. Both members of the couple are in the support group of ESA and as a couple they get IR ESA (but the wife’s ESA is contributions based as part of the claim). The claim is in the husband’s name. Both members of the couple also get DLA HRC.
    At the minute they get £388 per fortnight (husband) plus £219 per fortnight (wife) plus 2x DLA. For further info, both husband & wife are below pension age. The wife (who gets contributions ESA) has always been in the support group of ESA since she was transferred from IB a number of years ago.

What would the couple’s UC amount be please?

For husband to be getting ESA £388 a fortnight.
    They would have to be both caring for each other with both getting underlying entitlement to CA, living alone and husband must also have ESA Conts entitlement within his award.
    In which case his ESA would be about £260 a week / £520 a fortnight.... to be reduced to £388 a fortnight he must have substantial deductions on there. If you don't know..I suggest you call ESA for a breakdown of award to be explained over the phone.

UC = If both over 25 I would say £498.89 + £318.76 = £817.65 less the ESA Conts as said, they may both have ESA Conts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure