Vibration noise from under house

Options

Comments

• kim1485
    Options
    I wondered if you managed to find any solution to your problem. I have exactly the same thing in my house and it is driving me slowly mad. No-one else can hear it so it's hard to convince anyone that there is a problem.
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    I think I am super sensitive to noises and we have just had SkyQ installed and it is making a very low sound which is driving me insane...it just might have t go back if it doesn't settle down or cease!

I feel for others with this type of sensitivity as it is very unpleasant.
  • armchaireconomist
    Options
    You need to keep a diary and see if you can find out what is in the local vicinity that could cause it.

Can't criticise council after you've contacted them to tell them there's a vibration, when they've sent officers out who can't hear it and are provided no evidence to the contrary.
  • roger-w5
    roger-w5 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe consider moving,its a process of elimination.
  • daisy101
    daisy101 Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 June 2018 at 7:10AM
    Options
    Apologies if the comment is slightly incoherent or there are spelling mistakes but unfortunately suffering from sleep deprivation caused by low frequency noise and vibration. The problem is that the system cannot recognize that low frequency noise is affecting more and more people, that even with new guidelines, the issue is swept under the carpet by the authorities. (This is the polite version).

Firstly OP you're not alone being affected by low frequency vibrations, the problem was first raised in the 1950's. Increasingly with the change or relaxing of building regulations, electrical goods i.e. power showers and their pumps, and more powerful white goods i.e. Washing Machines, Driers, the problem is getting more prevalent and affecting more people. In the last year the government and local authorities have started to take these complaints more seriously after new guidelines were written for DEFRA by Salford University. Unfortunately Environmental Health / Protection Teams lack the skill base, intuition, or equipment to fully identify and resolve low frequency noise and vibration. Instead the EH teams put the blame and emphasis on the person(s) making the complaint. (This is not an isolated criticism).

Without going into further detail I've had four years of low frequency vibrations caused by washing machines, driers, and overpowered poorly installed central heating but found the authorities unhelpful and damn right offensively rude. This is when under stress, being tired, but still being polite and courteous.

Part of the problem is that the equipment (Sound recording device and Headphones, speakers) used by the Environment Health are incorrectly calibrated or unable to pick up infrasound (under 50hz) or Ultra Sound (15,000hz). Make sure the EH personnel use C- bias Weight settings on their device, otherwise the recording will incorrectly detect the noise.

After four years I've compiled a good list of the guidelines, white papers that should help people raise the issue to the authorities. Unfortunately cannot post these links but I'll provide Google meta key words or e-mail me.

Salford University - Professor Moorhouse (Key words- salford university low frequency noise assessment). He wrote the DEFRA guidelines 2001 & 2017, with additional content from Geoff Laventhall.

UK White Goods (Key words White Goods Low frequency vibrations). Discusses in detail throughout the website about washing machines, and other white goods and why the vibrations.
  • daisy101
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I think I am super sensitive to noises and we have just had SkyQ installed and it is making a very low sound which is driving me insane...it just might have t go back if it doesn't settle down or cease!

This is down to a noisy fan, and the Hard Drive noise. Most computer components (or Sky box in this case)generate heat, and to dissipate heat use small fans (which are cheap, usually effective but noisy). Also the whirring of the hard drive is either coil whine, simply vibrations or noise caused as it accesses data. My advice is buy a CLOSED television cabinet that should reduce the noise. Also you'll find that televisions especially LCD, OLED panels needs fans to dissipate heat, and they either get clogged up, or the ball bearing slowly deteriorates.
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    daisy101 wrote: »
    Without going into further detail I've had four years of low frequency vibrations caused by washing machines, driers, and overpowered poorly installed central heating but found the authorities unhelpful and damn right offensively rude. This is when under stress, being tired, but still being polite and courteous.
    If your washing machine or tumble drier causes vibrations that keep you awake, run it during the day. Both will of course cause vibrations as they are rotating kilos of washing around!

The pump in a fridge freezer also causes vibration, mine has a ~2 second cycle and when I had it positioned in the annex to the kitchen. the vibrations could be heard very faintly if you were close to the same external wall, even if 10m / three rooms away. I moved it, sorted the problem out.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    For those experiencing noise - even if it definitely isn't "The Hum" - then I'm guessing it would still be worthwhile contacting organisations/forums campaigning about "The Hum" - as they've probably got useful information about equipment and the like to track down the source of any noise (even non "The Hum" related).
  • daisy101
    First Anniversary
    edited 20 June 2018 at 3:06PM
    Options
    If your washing machine or tumble drier causes vibrations that keep you awake, run it during the day. Both will of course cause vibrations as they are rotating kilos of washing around!

The pump in a fridge freezer also causes vibration, mine has a ~2 second cycle and when I had it positioned in the annex to the kitchen. the vibrations could be heard very faintly if you were close to the same external wall, even if 10m / three rooms away. I moved it, sorted the problem out.
    Our washing machine and tumble drier are properly balanced on a stone surface, with the metal legs correctly calibrated and adjusted. Thus minimal to no vibrations when working. The issue is rather our Neighbours on both sides, who renovated their properties combining the Dining / Utility room and Kitchen into a single unit. Unfortunately an important load wall / pillar was taken out, and Laminate flooring* installed. Thus instead of carpet, stone, or paving which alleviates or reduces the noise and vibration, in fact what is happening is that the noise is amplified especially as one of the neighbour's washing machine is located and lodged firmly in a Kitchen Unit. The other neighbour has their white goods on a laminated surface, next to our party wall in an out-house with no foundation attached to our property. Thus it too vibrates!

*DEFRA have published an article discussing the implication of laminate flooring and low frequency vibrations in flats and houses.
  • daisy101
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The Council put in a vibration monitor which shows a vibration coming from down the road but they don't know from where & simply keep saying that unless their officers hear it, it cannot be determined to be a statutory issue. They did put rubber mats under the bed but when I advised them that it didn't help they said it also must be air borne & therefore have no idea.

Rubber or Anti-Vibration mats must be placed at the source to be effective. Most man-made or synthetic materials are ineffective against dampening low frequency vibrations, especially the further away from the source. A material does exist, Sorbothane but it's expensive and relatively untested.

What is frustrating is that it is possible to track down and identify the source of low frequency noise through clarifying and investigating the frequency, intensity, duration and time of the noise. i.e Central Heating pumps (and Hot Water). The problem is that the Environmental Health Officers lack the skills, knowledge and intuition to apply the evidence, rather than dismiss it at hand due to ineptitude.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure