Vibration noise from under house

Options

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It sounds as though being a low frequency then the sounds going to manifest itself as a physical sensation so ear plugs may not be that effective.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ear plugs don't deal with the real problem in cases like this, which is largely an emotional one.

If the sound is so ephermeral, it shouldn't be causing lack of sleep; it's the reaction to the sound which does that.

Those with tinnitus cannot 'escape' via ear plugs, or whatever, so they either learn to accept and ignore it, or they don't. Those who find acceptance hard are probably the worst affected, where the noise is really loud and obtrusive, but that's not like this sound.

However, I believe some people find white noise generators or recordings of use, so that's an avenue to explore.
  • paddypaws101
    Options
    You have my sympathy. Ever since the Victoria Line was upgraded, myself and neighbours have been able to hear/feel each and every train which runs up and down the line. I live about a 10 minute walk from the nearest station and the line passes under the far end of my road, but the vibration affects the actual structure of my house so is impossible to escape.
    Oh, and I have tinnitus too!
  • a&akay
    a&akay Posts: 526 Forumite
    Options
    A long shot, but it may be water hammer propagated via the direct mains cold feed to the various properties. Hammer is usually a knocking noise but I've have a continuous vibration that could sound like a hum to some at a distance. The cold water pressure will increase at night as there is far less draw off than during the day. Cold feeds can be on differing habitation levels. When it happens turn on a cold tap fully nearest your cold incomer. If the hum ceases straight away then it is.
  • Redwhale
    Options
    Hi I've had this same problem for over 3 years now with the same response from the environment agency noise monitors picked up on unusual frequencies and an idling diesel generator sounds i feel it under my feet in my bed and often a heavy buzzing feel and sound..but with no solution ..infra sound and vibrations are usually linked to an illegal grow operation going on and i have suspected this in the property next to mine, they are the type and there has been unusual activities but authorities won't act upon my concerns even tho their had been enough evidence to warrant an action and how my health has been battered but all this humming droning vibrational noise ..other causes can be sewer pumping stations but no authorities will show any responsibility so looks like we have no choice but to suffer horribly whilst the culprits carry on there merry way grrrrr :mad:
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Redwhale wrote: »
    Hi I've had this same problem for over 3 years now with the same response from the environment agency noise monitors picked up on unusual frequencies and an idling diesel generator sounds i feel it under my feet in my bed and often a heavy buzzing feel and sound..but with no solution ..infra sound and vibrations are usually linked to an illegal grow operation going on and i have suspected this in the property next to mine, they are the type and there has been unusual activities but authorities won't act upon my concerns even tho their had been enough evidence to warrant an action and how my health has been battered but all this humming droning vibrational noise ..other causes can be sewer pumping stations but no authorities will show any responsibility so looks like we have no choice but to suffer horribly whilst the culprits carry on there merry way grrrrr :mad:

Why would an illegal grow operation cause infrasound? Is cannabis that noisy?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    Have a google for anti vibration mats, if you put them under your bed feet and make sure it's not against a wall that may help you get a decent nights sleep.

I find problems are a bit less 'emotional' after a decent nights sleep.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Is cannabis that noisy?
    One does get a buzz from it. ;)

That's only what I've read, of course. I grew up in the 60s, when we were all too busy getting our Duke of Edinburgh Awards to consider nonsense like smoking weed whilst watching the Stones in the Park or Pink Floyd at UFO. :A
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Why would an illegal grow operation cause infrasound? Is cannabis that noisy?

That would be the extractor fans needed to vent all the heat from the grow lamps.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April 2018 at 7:28AM
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Ear plugs don't deal with the real problem in cases like this, which is largely an emotional one.

If the sound is so ephermeral, it shouldn't be causing lack of sleep; it's the reaction to the sound which does that.

Those with tinnitus cannot 'escape' via ear plugs, or whatever, so they either learn to accept and ignore it, or they don't. Those who find acceptance hard are probably the worst affected, where the noise is really loud and obtrusive, but that's not like this sound.

However, I believe some people find white noise generators or recordings of use, so that's an avenue to explore.

I have been hearing a low frequency sound not unlike the noise the OP describes for three or four years now. When I first started hearing it, it really wound me up. At one point I was driving around the countryside in the early hours fruitlessly trying to locate the source, assuming that it was an inconsiderate local farmer operating heavy machinery at night. I even checked out the nearby sewage plant because the noise sounded similar to a pump.

I started to believe that it was inside my head until I realised that it decreased or disappeared altogether depending on my location. For example, in Australia I don't hear it at all despite staying some places with little or no background noise. As soon as I get home it is back as loud as ever.

This best advice I can give the OP is just to accept it and get on with life. As soon as I did that, I found that I could sleep without playing eight hour tapes of thunderstorms or waves crashing on a beach.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure