Over 60 resident relative. How to avoid losing the family home to care home fees

Options

Comments

• fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I suspect some would say they’d paid in all their lives so are entitled to take their entitlements.
    The OP is trying to take a bit more than any entitlement, he's proposing lowering his mum's standard of care and taking her house for himself.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The OP is trying to take a bit more than any entitlement, he's proposing lowering his mum's standard of care and taking her house for himself.

To be fair to the OP, mother seems to have instigated the conversation?
    My Mother is 85, owns her own home and wants to avoid selling the family home to fund her care, to the local council..
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,641 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 15 September 2019 at 3:17PM
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    To be fair to the OP, mother seems to have instigated the conversation?

True, but it seems to be the OPs idea to move in with her, and they seem to be going to great lengths to check whether their scheme will work or not.

Still waiting for a reply about whether they already own a home or not.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 September 2019 at 7:11PM
    Options
    Still waiting for a reply about whether they already own a home or not.

Well....post 36
    no other property in my name [tick]
    - no other place to live [ tick ; divorced]

He also says that he needs to be close to his mother for care purposes - given the circumstances he describes however, one wonders why he hadn't moved in earlier?
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Would the OP be happy living under the same roof as his mother if she remains active for another ten years or more? I hope he wouldn't regret his decision, or wish to hasten her departure into care!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Keep_pedalling
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Well....post 36

He also says that he needs to be close to his mother for care purposes - given the circumstances he describes however, one wonders whay he hadn't moved in earlier?

Apologies I missed that post.

Moving in to provide care and support is admirable and in the long term is likely to delay or avoid totally her ever needing residential care. Just taking up residence to protect your inheritance is a whole different ball game.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I am wondering how many people actually realise there is a massive difference in some areas between a council run residential care home and a private care home. I have had experience of both with my MIL having to go into council run care facilities (no assets or private pension to speak of) and my stepfather going into a private residential care home after a long hospital stay and actually getting sufficiently better to come home and live with my mum again. Vast difference in quality of surroundings, care and staffing numbers. You also get to choose the area so the person can stay in their familiar area and get visitors rather than being pushed off into anywhere the council deems good enough.

I certainly will expect my children to use our assets (house included) to pay for our residential care should we need it. We have helped them buy houses, go to university, go on holidays etc etc and any spare money can go to them but if we need it for care we will use it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    My mum was self funding and received exactly the same care and had the same type of room etc. as the council funded residents. It was a very nice place, everyone seemed very happy there and the meals were lovely. Lots of activities, and a general air of being a home not just a care home.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Bogof_Babe wrote: »
    My mum was self funding and received exactly the same care and had the same type of room etc. as the council funded residents. It was a very nice place, everyone seemed very happy there and the meals were lovely. Lots of activities, and a general air of being a home not just a care home.

Then the council funded residents were lucky and in my experience that is certainly not the case for the elderly in my area (south west with a large elderly population). We had to move my MIL up to the Midlands where there was a better choice of council care homes and quality of residential care as the council funded homes in the south west in our town were awful. There were other reasons of course in that my BIL had just retired so had more time than us who were still working and he lived up there so we did not just dump her up there away from everyone. She still would have preferred to stay in Cornwall though.

The quality of elderly residential care homes is very patchy across the country. The thing is though as your mum was self funded she had a choice. For those who are not self funded where they get put is a lottery.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've worked in old people's homes which I would be happy to be a resident in when old.

But I would also agree that this country does not regulate elderly care sufficiently. We're good at delivering healthcare and need to diversify into social care.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback