Over 60 resident relative. How to avoid losing the family home to care home fees

Options

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Someone else is Not paying for my state pension, I paid in 49 yrs i for that!, same goes for hospital etc.
  • emmachizit
    Options
    I and my now adult children have always lived together in our family home owned outright by me - it suits us all and we're intergenerational and interdependent and happy - if I become intolerably violently demented and have to go into residential care can the local authority make me sell their home to pay for it?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,499 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    owned outright by me -
    intolerably violently demented and have to go into residential care can the local authority make me sell their home to pay for it?

The LA can't make you sell your solely owned property but as far as I can see, under current guidelines, assuming that there is no spouse and no relative over 60 in occupation (and assuming that you do not qualify for CHC funding), then the value of your property could be taken into consideration so that you had to meet your own fees from your other financial resources or have a charge put on the property so that the LA would make a claim on death.

See link in post 8.
  • Brilley
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Someone else is Not paying for my state pension, I paid in 49 yrs i for that!, same goes for hospital etc.

...I think it works that while you are working you pay for the current generation of OAPs pension, then the next generation will pay for yours....assuming there is enough of them (working) to foot the bill!
  • xylophone
    Options
    ..I think it works that while you are working you pay for the current generation of OAPs pension

In effect, he has still contributed his whack towards his own pension.
  • xylophone
    Options
    So what’s wrong with other people paying when we are genuine entitled? (according to govt rules).

Genuinely is the key? It is different from contrived which is what the DoA rules are intended to prevent?
  • Brilley
    Brilley Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    In effect, he has still contributed his whack towards his own pension.

..not disputing that, just that there is no separate "fund" that an individual builds up, it just goes into "today's" pot to support whatever today's needs happen to be....
  • JoeEngland
    Options
    My Mother is 85, owns her own home and wants to avoid selling the family home to fund her care, to the local council..

Since I am over 60, I am looking to move into her home as my main residence, ahead of any move by her into care to comply with rules I have seen, stating that the property cannot be taken with a dependent in it ( subject to some caveats in the rules ).

So i rang the council assessment team, and asked how long before she goes into care can i be considered to be a resident for exclusion purpose. They said "it depends", "it"s complex", "they cannot tell me the guidelines on that, that they work to".

Does anybody know?

So you don't believe in personal responsibility and want the taxpayer to pick up the care tab to ensure you don't lose an inheritance?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    JoeEngland wrote: »
    So you don't believe in personal responsibility and want the taxpayer to pick up the care tab to ensure you don't lose an inheritance?

More to the point he's happy for his mum to go into whatever squalid home the council dumps her in to ensure that.
  • Keep_pedalling
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    More to the point he's happy for his mum to go into whatever squalid home the council dumps her in to ensure that.

Bang on, anyone staying put in their parents home to protect their inheritance at the cost of that parent being placed in an over my dead body care home is morally bankrupt.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback