IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Secure A Space –!help with POPLA appeal

Options

Comments

• ProstetnicVogonJeltz
    Options
    Thanks, Coupon-mad. I will do so, and report back in due course.
  • paulT
    paulT Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're interested I had exactly the same situation at NLBP - and won with my POPLA appeal. I have a PDF copy which has photos as well. If someone can tell me how I can upload it - I will, or I can just post the text I sent.
  • ProstetnicVogonJeltz
    Options
    Hello everybody. I need to resurrect this thread as I have just received notification from POPLA of the operator's response. They have supplied no fewer than 26 documents as evidence to counter my appeal, including all correspondence we've exchanged, including the original PCN, my appeal as registered keeper, the NTK, my NTK response, 13 photos of the keeper's vehicle (including some rather invasive shots of the interior of the vehicle), photos of the signs at the site entrance and the signs situated on site, the signed agreement with the landowner, and the heads of terms of the contract they have with the landowner.

I have been given 7 days to respond, but I'm really not sure what my next move should be. Can anybody please provide some further advice?

Many thanks!
    -PVJ
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    read any POPLA REBUTTALS POSTS on here over the last few months and try to refute any points the PPC are making , any errors, if they dont have a valid and signed landholder contract , signage issues , POFA or NTK failures etc
  • ProstetnicVogonJeltz
    Options
    I've been doing some reading around some recent threads with rebuttals in, and I'm not sure any of the things I've seen so far seem to apply.

The main points of Secure A Space's response to the keeper's appeal are:

1. Vehicle was observed at 14.52 and PCN issued at 15.10 after 17 minutes.
    2. Vehicle was parked in area allocated for specific permit holders only, and vehicle did not show corresponding permit.
    3. Nearest sign setting out terms and conditions was close to the vehicle.
    4. Sign at entrance is a "P" style entrance sign, which says "Parking in allocated bays only" and states to see further signs inside the site for full terms and conditions. This photo dates from 2015, but operator says that parking attendant cannot be expected to take a photo for every ticket because of the size of the site.
    5. Entrance sign meets all criteria set by BPA and has been audited annually.
    6. There is no provision in the guidelines for a sign being a certain distance from security hut (the driver had to speak to a security person to gain access to the site and hence did not see the "P" style sign).
    7. Keeper's failure to provide driver details "has refused to enter into the spirit of the legislation provided".
    8. No charges were escalated during the process of issuing NTK, in accordance with POFA 2012 Schedule 4.
    9. "We have seen identical appeal templates to this one previously which would indicate it has been taken from an internet forum or similar."
    10. Sign in front of the vehicle (which does not show any of the operators' terms and conditions) is "a general additional sign, provided by the Managing Agent."
    11. It is not practical to have a sign in front of every bay on the site, neither is it necessary according to best practise and code of practice guidelines.
    12. More than adequate grace period was provided by the attendant.
    13. In refutation of the keeper's assertion that the Parking Eye vs. Beavis judgement is not relevant:

"Whilst I note that the appellant believes there are not enough similarities between this case and the Parking Eye v Beavis case, hundreds of previous similar cases have been adjudicated by POPLA and have found to be similar enough for this ruling to be relied upon in similar circumstances and appeals. These have included the same sign wording and vehicles parked in a similar location such as case number 7310587008 as an example. Many important parts of the Contractual Agreement terms on the sign used by Parking Eye in the Beavis vs Parking Eye (example as provided by the Appellant) are in a much smaller font than our design attached. This includes but is not limited to, the most important fact that the area is private land and the operator contact details to check on any areas of the contract the driver may wish verify with the Parking Management Company regarding. All signs are designed slightly differently however they have met the British Parking Association’s code of practice upon audit, as has our sign design."

14. Copy of contract with landowner dated April 2015. (Name of company on the handwritten agreement is almost illegible, but it does indeed appear to be the name of the landowner, Comer Property Management Ltd.)

The only points that I can currently think of how to respond are as follows:

3. The photograph showing the nearest sign to the bay in which the vehicle was parked shows that the sign would be completely illegible from the driver's perspective. The operator's sign is directly below a one of the "general additional signs" that just says "Building 3 Parking Only" with no terms and conditions, just like the "general additional sign" that is placed directly in front of the bay in which the vehicle was parked, where there was no operator sign specifying the terms and conditions.

7. It doesn't matter whether the keeper has entered into the "spirit" of the legislation: what matters under POFA 2012 section 4 is whether or not the operator has been able to prove that the keeper of the vehicle was the driver. The operator states that they have not escalated the charges when issuing the NTK as this is "a formal step to be followed when an appellant is not cooperating in the spirit of the above legislation".

9. When a person is being pursued aggressively by a collections agency, the keeper should be entitled to use any and all resources at his or her disposal to counter the unfair and stressful pursuit of an unpaid invoice, including consulting with other people who have had similar experience, and relevant legal precedent and regulations. Simply because similar grounds for appeal have been used before does not render those grounds invalid.

I don't feel confident about the above points –!does anybody have any further advice?

Thanks,
    –PVJ
  • Redx
    edited 7 August 2017 at 11:07PM
    Options
    a few comments from me

if the space was for permit holders only and no contract was offered to anyone else then its a forbidding sign meaning no parking contract was agreed or entered into , meaning the penalty rule is engaged under BEAVIS

so look up forbidding signs and comment , because only the landholder can sue for trespass if that is what it was, and only for a nominal sum

so definitely call into question the signage

check the contract for length of contract , not just if its signed and dated , also checking for if the landholder signed it or some flunkey - if its illegible , say so , say its not clear who signed it or what position of authority they hold

put them to strict proof under POFA2012 , its what the law actually says, not "the spirit" , they must comply fully in order to hold a keeper liable for the actions of a driver - you are not compelled under any law to name the driver

it is for the PPC to prove their case , or its case dismissed
  • ProstetnicVogonJeltz
    Options
    Thanks, Redx. Regarding the contract, the names of the parties signing the contract for both the operator and the landowner are completely indistinct, so it is certainly impossible for me either to identify either party or to assess whether they had sufficient authority to sign it. The agreement itself states that it is valid for a minimum period of one year and then continues unless terminated by either party.

Re: the POFA 2012 compliance, I do not think that the NTK correctly identified "The period the car was parked" –!it merely specifies the time at which the ticket was issued, not the period for which the vehicle was parked. Furthermore, the NTK is obliged to "Specify the outstanding amount of the parking charge and of the maximum additional costs they may seek to recover": however, all the NTK says is that "we will also pass the case to a debt collector where further costs may be added", with nothing about the maximum additional costs they may seek to recover. (I have used parkingfine-appeals.co.uk/ keeper-liability-explained/ as the source of my understanding of exactly what a NTK must contain in order to establish keeper liability under POFA 2012.)

Re: forbidding signs, I'm not sure: the operator's sign states "A Valid Secure A Space authorised permit must be displayed in the front windscreen at all times. Vehicles displaying area specific permits must park in the corresponding bay or area as follows... Site P&D Permit - WHITE bays".

So the parking was indeed for permit holders only, but the kind of permit that was necessary to hold is a "Site P&D Permit", which the driver could have purchased had he/she been made aware of the necessity to do so by sufficient signage close to the parking area.
  • Redx
    Options
    so make these points clear in your rebuttal , you know the site better than us , so construct your rebuttal to include what you think my comments amount to in actual fact

but you seem to be on the right track so far , especially on the contract and signage inadequacies
  • paulT
    paulT Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi - I am assisting another 'keeper' who has almost an identical appeal as this one.
    Initial POPLA appeal sent to POPLA
    POPLA reply with SecureaSpace's 'evidence' lots of photos around the car (which clearly show poor lighting etc), a generic sign which could have been taken anywhere.
    The 'Contract' contains a cover sheet with signatures, but refers to 'Schedule 1 and its special conditions' - which isn't included in the other Contract Terms. The Contract Terms do not even refer to NLBP.
    I know that SecureaSpace do not have any right to police any of the bays that are allocated for Barnet Council staff and there are also other bays which have a rectangular patch painted in front of them which are purple and orange - these colours aren't even mentioned on any signs - therefore in their Case Summary they blatantly lie when they state they are responsible for the whole of NLBP.

The site map shows a few 'X's (7 in total) around the entire Carpark - clearly indicating sparce signage

The copy of NTK appears to be non compliant.

If anyone could tell me how to upload these redacted (by me) files - I will. !!!!!!! doesn't appear to work for me as it just keeps trying to redirect me to Spam sites

Otherwise do we refer to each piece of evidence and where it is refuted in the original Appeal - or repeat the pertinent parts of the original Appeal - this being the very long winded Appeal suggested in this forum?
  • Redx
    Options
    @paulT

please start your own thread and please dont hijack threads by other members

by all means add a dead url to this thread in your own new thread

thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family